Allocate speed to two different devices?

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

Alwaysonacoffebreak    692

I got into a little trouble.

I want to allocate my internet speed to two different hardware devices but since I'm behind a switch that can't be done in an interface anywhere.

Is there an OS level option for it? (Windows 7)

Any help is welcome.

11 answers to this question

+BudMan    3,748

If you don't have access to the router, and you want to do some actual rate limiting or even qos then yeah new switch would be in the works.. Not sure where you got a 8 port gig switch for $10 ;)

With a switch that supports the features, then you would have to set it on the box itself.. Sure if you have a 300/300 connection then setting the 1 pc nic to 100full would limit it to those speeds.

post-14624-0-69806000-1415279088.png

Or you need to get a switch that supports qos and or rate limiting. So for example a fully managed switch would have these sorts of setting in spades. Now a sg300 might be a bit out of your budget?? You can get one for about $185 on amazon I believe

post-14624-0-78517500-1415279168.png

post-14624-0-83172200-1415279181.png

But even a cheaper smart switch should have these settings as well

post-14624-0-24910600-1415279377.png

post-14624-0-30518000-1415279386.png

Something like the qs108t goes for about $80 on amazon - I have the older v1, the v2 has been out a while, etc.. If your in a market for a switch and can afford it I would highly highly recommend the sg300.. For the price point you just can not touch it on feature set, hardware specs at that price point! If someone has a better suggestion for a managed switch sub $200 price range I would like to hear about it myself!!

+BudMan    3,748

What?? Any smart/managed switch would allow you to rate limit their connection.

What are you trying to do exactly, you do understand the devices will automatically share the internet speed.. Is one of the devices using more than its fair share by running p2p or something. This can be adjusted at the client. Do you have control of both of these devices?

Skiver    1,996

I haven't personally tried it but Netlimiter I believe can do this, I used the tool to do some bandwidth monitoring but it can also set limits on an interface.

What?? Any smart/managed switch would allow you to rate limit their connection.

What are you trying to do exactly, you do understand the devices will automatically share the internet speed.. Is one of the devices using more than its fair share by running p2p or something. This can be adjusted at the client. Do you have control of both of these devices?

Yeah, it's an $10 8-port switch, doubt that has any interface on it.

I do understand but that's exactly what I want to change. Not running P2P.

I want one device to be locked on 100/100 connection and the ohter one (regular day PC) to run wild until it reaches the peak speed of my connection or the threshold of the ohter one not to slow it down any bit. (If that made any sense for you).

Got local acess to one and to the second in a few days, just wanted to do some recon already.

+John Teacake    456

You could just set the Network Card to 10Mb

sc302    1,792

the router can limit speed to the clients or give priority to one client over the other. 

Say your one computer was using 100% of the bandwidth but has a low priority, the computer with higher priority comes on and wants 99% of the bandwidth...the new computer on the network with higher priority trumps the old computer on the network and bumps the old computer down to 1%.

+BudMan    3,748

"I want one device to be locked on 100/100 connection"

So this $10 8 port switch is gig?? What is your internet connection? It is over 100/100??

So what is running on the other PC that uses up the bandwidth if your not doing p2p? As mentioned you can set a pc nic to 10 or 100 if your switch is gig. But I doubt a $10 is gig to be honest.

As sc302 mentions many routers support limiting/qos - what is your router on the other side of this switch?

"I want one device to be locked on 100/100 connection"

So this $10 8 port switch is gig?? What is your internet connection? It is over 100/100??

So what is running on the other PC that uses up the bandwidth if your not doing p2p? As mentioned you can set a pc nic to 10 or 100 if your switch is gig. But I doubt a $10 is gig to be honest.

As sc302 mentions many routers support limiting/qos - what is your router on the other side of this switch?

Its actually an gig 8 port. Im on a 300/300 connection and there's no router. Cable runs straight to my room from my ISP box and from there to my switch.

Game downloads and streaming on the ohter PC.

I guess it's better for me to actually get a new switch while I'm at it?

I'll start off with the OS option and try to get me one of those smart switches later on :) I can afford it but just not this month :(

Also the $10 "dumb" switch was an sale on a IT store that was closing doors.

It's this one to be exact.

http://www.tp-link.com/EN/products/details/?model=TL-SG1008D#over

But thanks Budman! :)

+BudMan    3,748

Nice sale!! I show that switch for like $25 For a dumb switch that works fine even at the $25 price point seems good, at $10 that is great price you should of picked up a few of them ;)

If you like that line, here is their easy smart switch, it supports qos and looks to be less than $40

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Tag-Based/dp/B00K4DS5KU

From quick look at the manual looks support port based qos, along with 802.1p (vlan based) and just plain rate limiting.. So might be something to look at better price point!

Nice sale!! I show that switch for like $25 For a dumb switch that works fine even at the $25 price point seems good, at $10 that is great price you should of picked up a few of them ;)

If you like that line, here is their easy smart switch, it supports qos and looks to be less than $40

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Tag-Based/dp/B00K4DS5KU

From quick look at the manual looks support port based qos, along with 802.1p (vlan based) and just plain rate limiting.. So might be something to look at better price point!

Bookmarked it for now. Seems reasonable :)

This one I got now was just an fast buy because we were preparing for a lan party a few years back and needed a switch fast lol. For that price it has served me very well indeed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ather Fawaz
      Microsoft's Project Natick finds that underwater datacenters are reliable and effective
      by Ather Fawaz

Image via Microsoft Project Natick is Microsoft's research project to determine the feasibility of underwater datacenters that are powered by offshore renewable energy. These datacenters have been hailed as a promising venture in Microsoft's future in cloud computing when back in 2018, CEO Satya Nadella emphasized that the future of datacenter deployment lies in underwater server pods. Besides promising faster deployment, one of the primary advantages of this setup is the fact that by positioning datacenters closer to coastal settlements, we can reduce latency due to transmission delays.

Back in spring 2018, to test whether submerging a datacenter could improve its reliability, researchers lowered Microsoft's Northern Isles datacenter 117 feet underwater to the seafloor near the Orkney Islands in Scotland. After a lengthy period of testing involving the 864 servers onboard, on July 9, the datacenter was recovered and Microsoft has now finally revealed what it has learned from its experimentation.

The Project Natick researchers announced that their initial hypothesis was indeed correct. Underwater datacenters can improve the reliability of datacenters while being powered by offshore renewable energy. This is majorly due to the fact that land datacenters suffer from natural phenomena like temperature fluctuations, corrosion, and humidity, which lead to frequent equipment failure, and subsequently, the need for regular maintenance. But underwater, they are in a relatively cooler environment that is less prone to such factors. In fact, the cooler environment underwater allows for energy-efficient heat-exchange plumbing that can further lower operational costs.

Image via Microsoft Microsoft states that Natick Northern Isles datacenter had a failure rate of 1/8th that of the land-based control group that it was compared with. This showcases the practicality and reliability of hosting underwater datacenters that serve our cloud computing needs. The Redmond giant had already gauged its deployment speed back in 2018. While deploying a land-based data center can take up to two years due to the expensive cooling and land requirements, among others, underwater datacenters can instead be deployed in 90 days. This is what the company did back in 2018 in Scotland.

Image via Microsoft Interestingly, during its tenure in Scotland, the datacenter was also used to perform COVID-19 research for Folding@Home and World Community Grid during testing. Perhaps most importantly, the datacenter ran entirely on wind, solar, and other experimental green energies that are currently under development at the deployment site. This crucially ties in with Microsoft's pledge to go carbon-negative by 2030 before removing all its carbon emissions that it's ever produced from the atmosphere by 2050.

Image via Microsoft Talks between Project Natick researchers and Microsoft Azure officials for commercial deployment are already underway. Scaling considerations to power Microsoft Azure services are being discussed together with the prospect of positioning datacenters closer to customers. Since half the world’s population lives within 120 miles of the coast, underwater datacenters could enable a smoother and more stable internet experience in tasks ranging from video streaming to gaming to general web surfing.

Image via Microsoft But perhaps these underwater server pods offer much more. Just a few hours back, Google announced that the firm will only tap renewable power by 2030. One of the logistical challenges associated with that move will be to relocate some of its datacenters. With Microsoft's Project Natick providing a potent alternative that promises reliability and deployment speed while operating on renewable energy, we could have a potential solution onboard.

• By indospot
      Nintendo reportedly asking developers to make games "4K-ready"
      by João Carrasqueira

Nintendo has often been speculated to be working on hardware revisions of the Switch hybrid console, and to some extent, those rumors have turned out to be true. Last month, the idea of a Switch revision resurfaced when a report claimed that the company is planning a Switch revision for 2021, with an improved display and "improved interactivity".

Now, a new Bloomberg report suggests 4K support for the revision. The report doesn't go deep into details, but it cites sources at several third-party developers saying Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready. Considering the Switch currently only renders games at 1080p, at best, 4K support would be a major upgrade, especially considering it's just a mid-life hardware refresh.

Previously, Nintendo has been reported to be working on a strong lineup of games to go along with the new Switch model, which could help drive its sales. It makes sense for these games to offer something on the new hardware that you wouldn't get with a regular Switch, but whether that includes 4K support remains to be seen.

The report otherwise focuses on production of the current Switch models, which Nintendo is said to be increasing by 20%, with assembling factories now "working at 120%". In its quarterly earnings report in August, the company posted sales numbers that doubled the same period of last year, and it would seem that momentum isn't slowing down soon. According to analysts, the Switch won't be significantly affected by the next generation of consoles, and demand for the Switch is likely to increase even more towards the end of the year. The company is said to be selling as many as 30 million units of the Switch this fiscal year.

After a somewhat quiet year, Nintendo has started to open up about its plans for the final months of 2020, with new Mario games coming over the next few months, Pikmin 3 Deluxe launching on October 30, and most recently, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity was announced for November 20. These new titles are likely to help the company drive sales through the end of the year.

• By indospot
      Nintendo brings Mario Kart to your home with Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
      by João Carrasqueira

Nintendo unleashed an array of announcements during its special Direct presentation focused on the 35th anniversary of Mario. Among them was Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, a new experience that brings Mario Kart into players' homes, in a more physical manner.

The game is sold in a set that includes a toy kart, either driven by Mario or Luigi, depending on the chosen set, and a number of checkpoint goals. The checkpoints can be placed around a room in your house, and players can use physical objects to limit the kart's ability to drive outside of the set course. The kart is then driven using the Nintendo Switch, and it has a camera that gives players a driver's view of the track.

Staple Mario Kart features are still here, like items that can be used to attack other racers, which are fully virtual. However, it's also possible to connect with other users who have the game and their own kart, allowing for multiplayer matches to take place. Items impact virtual and physical players alike, with karts coming to a halt when players are hit by an item in the game.

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit is coming to the Nintendo Switch on October 16.

• By indospot
      Super Mario 3D All-Stars brings Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy to the Switch
      by João Carrasqueira

During a special Direct presentation held today to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., Nintendo announced Super Mario 3D All-Stars, a collection of games that has long been rumored.

The title contains three classic 3D Mario games - Super Mario 64 from the Nintendo 64, Super Mario Sunshine originally for the GameCube, and Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. These are arguably the most significant outings in the franchise, though the collection skips out on Super Mario Galaxy 2, possibly to avoid including two very similar experiences in the same package.

The games will look pretty much how you remember them, and Nintendo hasn't done a lot to improve them. Controls have naturally been tweaked to fit the Switch hardware, the resolution has been increased, and - for Super Mario Sunshine - the games will now run in 16:9 aspect ratio, rather than 4:3 like the originals. Super Mario 64 didn't get upgraded to 16:9, and Super Mario Galaxy was already 16:9 on the Wii, so that remains true here.

The package also includes the soundtracks for each of the games, with each game sorted as its own album. Fans of the music in Mario games will be able to listen to them whenever

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is launching as a limited retail run later this month on September 18, and the digital version will only be available through March 31, 2021, so you'll need to grab it quickly if you're interested.

Update: The original article incorrectly stated that Super Mario 64 had been upgraded to run in the 16:9 aspect ratio. Only Super Mario Sunshine has seen this change, though Super Mario 64 does have higher resolution than the original release.

• By indospot
      Nintendo announces Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury for the Switch
      by João Carrasqueira

Nintendo today held a surprise Direct presentation specifically focusing on the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., and with it came a ton of announcements. One of the games announced today is Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. The game is an enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World, which originally released on the Wii U.

Super Mario 3D World is a multiplayer 3D platformer, and the first of its kind for Mario, allowing up to four players to traverse the campaign together. With the new Switch release, in addition to local multiplayer, players will be able to team up online to play through the game. Outside of Super Mario Maker, mainline series games in the Mario franchise have never featured online cooperative play.

This version also includes additional content, as indicated by the Bowser's Fury part of the name. Nintendo didn't share much in the way of details about this new content, but it did show Cat Mario in a stormy scenery in front of a Bowser-shaped structure.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is coming to the Nintendo Switch on February 12, 2021, and digital preorders are live on the Nintendo eShop right now.