Neowin.net PC Game Giveaways and Freebies

• 4 weeks later...
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Darn, I missed it. Oh well, been busy lately, with my family and whatnot. Maybe next time. (que sad trombone) ?

• 2 weeks later...
MightyJordan

If you happened to miss the starter edition of For Honor being given away for free on Uplay earlier in the year, then good news: it's currently free on Steam!

• Like 1
Obi-Wan Kenobi
20 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

If you happened to miss the starter edition of For Honor being given away for free on Uplay earlier in the year, then good news: it's currently free on Steam!

Caught that one on the front page. Thanks, MightyJordan! (Y)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
MightyJordan

One - or really nine - for the DRM-free fans: http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/178092016314/its-that-time-again-free-drm-free-games-for-a

• Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
  • LIMBO
  • Uurnog
  • Fortune 499
  • Tiny Echo
  • Cat Girl Without Salad
  • Drawkanoid
  • Thorn
  • Crescent Bay

All free until tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
Sszecret

I have two Steam keys:

Layers of Fear (in case folks didn't get it when it was free)

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Nick H.
1 hour ago, Sszecret said:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Ah, SimCity 4...probably the last decent SimCity they made, and that was...16 years ago?!

• Like 1
Sszecret
15 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Ah, SimCity 4...probably the last decent SimCity they made, and that was...16 years ago?!

Yeah, nearly 16. Regular one was released in January 2003, the Deluxe Edition a few months later in September.

Having played nearly all of them - yes, even Societies - except the 2013 reboot, yeah, I'd have to agree. I've tried others, but I think SC4 is the one I've played the longest of any game. There were some nice things in SC2013, like the tilt-shift effect, the general upgrade in graphics fidelity, those mega tower structures, and so on, but the horrendously restrictive city sizes and the always online thing were a bit much.

The annoying thing about the reboot was that pretty much the same team behind SC4 made this one, but EA was going to EA, so that's what screwed them in the end.

Brandon H
25 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

Yeah, nearly 16. Regular one was released in January 2003, the Deluxe Edition a few months later in September.

Having played nearly all of them - yes, even Societies - except the 2013 reboot, yeah, I'd have to agree. I've tried others, but I think SC4 is the one I've played the longest of any game. There were some nice things in SC2013, like the tilt-shift effect, the general upgrade in graphics fidelity, those mega tower structures, and so on, but the horrendously restrictive city sizes and the always online thing were a bit much.

The annoying thing about the reboot was that pretty much the same team behind SC4 made this one, but EA was going to EA, so that's what screwed them in the end.

the always online is what killed it for many people; there wasn't much online social interaction so it didn't make much sense

What's funny is a different developer pulled off a style quite similar and their game is still going pretty strong. I'm talking about Cities: Skylines :yes:

• Like 1
Nick H.
13 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

What's funny is a different developer pulled off a style quite similar and their game is still going pretty strong. I'm talking about Cities: Skylines :yes:

I got it in a Steam sale some time ago, but my available time for gaming meant I could never really get involved with it. Maybe I'll try and set a couple of hours aside this weekend to get past the tutorial stages. Once past there I can just drop in every so often and build the city up over however long I need.

Arceles
2 hours ago, Sszecret said:

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

I would kindly ask for the SimCity 4 Deluxe one, I've always wanted to try one simcity game but never really knew where to start and this looks like a good one.

atcapistrano

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

i'll have any extra not yet taken by someone else. ;)

Sszecret

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Well, that was fast. Nothing else left for now. :)

Brandon H

I still play my copy of SimCity 4 Deluxe every now and then. Was surprised back in the day that Steam allowed me to add my physical copy to my library by importing the key :)

The disc had gotten too scratched up so it was nice to be able to do that and install from Steams servers. Now I can install it whenever :)

atcapistrano

thanks, @Sszecret . fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view), it appears I already own the game from a previous giveaway. kindly give it to someone else who wants it.

Sszecret
9 minutes ago, atcapistrano said:

thanks, @Sszecret . fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view), it appears I already own the game from a previous giveaway. kindly give it to someone else who wants it.

Ah, not a problem.

Whoever wants a Layers of Fear Steam key, feel free to request it.

xendrome
5 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

Ah, not a problem.

Whoever wants a Layers of Fear Steam key, feel free to request it.

I'd take it for a friend of mine if you still have it.

Sszecret
12 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I'd take it for a friend of mine if you still have it.

Check thy DMs. :)

Ok folks, don't have any other keys for now, but I'll double check to see if there's anything else I can find.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By vishal1082
      Sunless Sea is free on Epic Games Store this week
      by Vishal Laul

Epic Games Store has put on offer Sunless Sea for this week’s giveaway, taking the place of Absolute Drift and Rage 2.

Sunless Sea is a top-down horror RPG that focuses on storytelling and exploration. There’s also a lot of death involved; the game features hand drawn artwork and more than 350,000 words worth of stories. Here’s how the Epic Games Store describes it:

Epic Games Store is offering Sunless Sea for Windows and macOS but it’s also available for Linux via Steam where it is priced $18.99 at the time of writing. Here are the minimum requirements:

If you wish to claim Sunless Sea, you can find it here. It will be free to claim until March 4, which is when Epic will put on offer Wargame: Red Dragon for its next giveaway.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Nvidia 461.72 WHQL driver adds support for RTX 3060 and crypto mining GPUs
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Nvidia today released a new version of its graphics card drivers, and the WHQL-certified 461.72 Game Ready driver lands touting support for the new RTX 3060 graphics card as well as the company's latest dedicated mining hardware that's dubbed CMPs (Cryptocurrency Mining Processors).

The RTX 3060 hits shops today and to discourage crypto miners from snapping stocks up, Nvidia says the gaming dedicated graphics card will reduce its Ethereum cryptocurrency mining efficiency by 50% when a mining algorithm is detected. Meanwhile, the new CMP 40HX and 30HX cards from Nvidia that this driver also provides support for are meant to fill that mining hole.

Also included in the 461.72 driver is support for the Outriders demo by People Can Fly, which kicks off today at 9AM PST. Nvidia DLSS support for both Nioh 2 and Mount & Blade II promising large FPS boosts, as well as Rainbow Six Siege Nvidia Reflex support for latency reduction purposes can be found in this driver as well.

The bug fixes that arrive with this release are as follows:

And here are the known issues to look out for:

The 461.72 WHQL Game Ready driver is now available for download straight through the GeForce Experience app or separately via the links listed below. The release notes for the driver can be seen here.

Desktop GPUs:
      Download: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 | Windows 10 – Standard / DCH

Notebook GPUs:
      Download: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 | Windows 10 - Standard / DCH

• By LoneWolfSL
      BioWare cancels Anthem rework to focus on Mass Effect and Dragon Age
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

The multiplayer action RPG Anthem had been undergoing a major redesign behind closed doors at BioWare since early last year, with the studio going back to the drawing board to "reinvent the core gameplay loop" following the poor reception to its latest IP. However, all plans for this overhauled version have now been canceled.

Today, BioWare Austin head Christian Dailey revealed in a blog post that the studio had made the "difficult decision" to stop the development of the redesign project - dubbed Anthem NEXT. "While we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams," explained Dailey.

While Anthem's journey has come to an end, the famed RPG studio is currently working on fresh entries for its Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises as well as a Mass Effect trilogy remaster as new projects. "Game development is hard," added Dailey. "Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic."

Anthem will still remain playable online in its current state for the time being, though as explained, no more updates will arrive for the troubled title. The studio did not say if there's a planned date for a future server shutdown.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Cyberpunk 2077 1.2 update pushed back, now aiming for second half of March
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

CD Projekt RED has been readying the next major update to Cyberpunk 2077 for some time now, with Patch 1.2 slated to land in February. However, the studio today revealed that it has changed the timetable, with the update now coming to all platforms in the second half of March, if the new plans don't experience any hitches.

The recent cyberattack on CD Projekt is partly to blame for this delay according to the Polish company. The attack left its internal systems compromised, servers encrypted, and some internal data leaked. The studio was already in the process of restoring the encrypted data when the announcement came through, but the process has obviously affected the development flow.

The upcoming update is reportedly much larger in scope than previous updates as well, which is also a cause for the delay. The studio added that "we’ve been working on numerous overall quality improvements and fixes, and we still have work to do to make sure that’s what you get."

So far, CD Projekt RED has released one major Cyberpunk 2077 update aimed at increasing performance and squashing bugs. There have also been several hotfixes for resolving urgent issues. The studio's roadmap for the RPG has it pushing out multiple updates, free DLC, as well as the next-gen console upgrade in 2021.

• By Rich Woods
      HP is buying HyperX for $425 million
      by Rich Woods

Today, HP announced that it's buying HyperX, which is a division of Kingston Technology. HP and HyperX have been partners for years, as we've often noted in our OMEN gaming PC reviews. In those devices, the company supplied things like RAM, which came with RGB lighting.

"HyperX is a leader in peripherals whose technology is trusted by gamers around the world and we’re thrilled to welcome their outstanding team to the HP family," said Enrique Lores, President and CEO, HP Inc. "We continue to advance our leadership in Personal Systems by modernizing compute experiences and expanding into valuable adjacencies. We see significant opportunities in the large and growing peripherals market, and the addition of HyperX to our portfolio will drive new sources of innovation and growth for our business."

HP has been working to boost its gaming ecosystem for years now with its in-house OMEN portfolio. Indeed, it consists of a lot more than laptops and desktops. It's also got the OMEN Outpost Mousepad that has a wireless charger, the OMEN Photon Mouse that can be charged wirelessly, the OMEN Sequencer Keyboard, the OMEN Mindframe Prime headset that keeps your ears cool, and more. And all of this comes with RGB lighting to complete the peripheral ecosystem. HyperX is going to be another piece of that puzzle.

HP is going to be paying $425 million for the Kingston gaming division, although Kingston is going to keep DRAM, flash, and SSD for gamers and enthusiasts. According to the announcement, this deal should be closed by the end of the second calendar quarter of this year.