Xbox LIVE Attack Disrupts Service, Group Threatens More For Christmas

I wasn't suggesting they weren't trying, I was merely stating that they have achieved nothing which would suggest that Microsoft are somehow more than capable of dismantling botnets.

Then I did miss-understand your point so never mind :)

They opened a cyber crime investigation wing.. No where does it say they did anything about botnets from your source.

umm do you ever read the news here on neowin? MS has been in the news at least 3 times in the last few years for closing different major bot nets and such.

• Like 1

umm do you ever read the news here on neowin? MS has been in the news at least 3 times in the last few years for closing different major bot nets and such.

They do news here? lol

I wasn't suggesting they weren't trying, I was merely stating that they have achieved nothing which would suggest that Microsoft are somehow more than capable of dismantling botnets.

From here: http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139608

Since 2010, Microsoft has taken down 12 botnets and Haman says the company is ramping it up. Microsoft takes control of the botnet then doesn't close it down, but rather allows the infected machines to make contact with it. This not only prevents attacks from that botnet, but also provides information showing how SA is definitely a target for cyber crime.

I see they disrupted botnets by helping identify some of the people who used them. The botnets are still active though. 

I guess I misunderstood your point.

no, they have completely taken over several botnets and then been able to identify operators by those who send attack "coordinates". and then left them for dead by while they keep monitoring them. (there's some legality issues surrounding removal of the malware by third person, though I think it has been done in some cases where they were given the ok)

• 2 weeks later...