Good Quality Soundbars

During the Black Friday sales I decided to splurge and buy a Samsung UE40H6400 TV as a Christmas present for my parents, as they current have a KDL32S3000 which is pretty past it.

However, now I'm trying to find a decently priced soundbar, as I'm concerned that the sound from the new TV will just be tinny as it is with most new TV's. If anyone has experience with this TV and doesn't think it needs a soundbar, then I'd be glad to hear that! Otherwise I'm in the market for one, and I don't really know which ones are good and whatnot.

I'm looking at the Sony CT60BT which has gets good reviews, but really that is right on the edge of my budget (?94.99 at Amazon). Can any recommend any more, or has personal experience with this particular model?

Thanks!

Any soundbar you get will likely be better than your in-built speakers.

One of the best I have read about is the Vizio S4221W-C4 but I think that might be out of your price range.

Is a proper surround sound completely out of the question? Even if you save up for one?

Any soundbar you get will likely be better than your in-built speakers.

One of the best I have read about is the Vizio S4221W-C4 but I think that might be out of your price range.

Is a proper surround sound completely out of the question? Even if you save up for one?

I've been reading up about it a bit more and someone suggested Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's to me, which look pretty good. Maybe soundbars aren't the right way to go, but I just liked their compact style. Also I'm not so sure they'll even be so appreciated by my parents...I was on Reddit on the audiophile subreddit and they were saying don't bother with soundbars etc, but is that not just because they all spend thousands on equipment?

Audiophiles will never support soundbars, ever. Hell, they all still sit around and argue over the merits of different gauge speaker wire despite the fact  there seems to be only a trivial amount of difference between them in most cases. If we all took their advice we'd all be in debt up to our eyeballs. We'd have incredible systems, but we'd probably be paying them off for the rest of our lives.

In terms of quality it pretty much goes:

Soundbars > Home Theatre in a box (HYinB) > AV & speaker package.

The cost also sharply increases as you move from soundbars through to AV/speakers as well.

You also have to ask yourself home much TV do your parents watch, and what kind of stuff do they watch? Are they movie buffs? Is it pretty much just a thing for news, weather, and the occasional episode of <insert their fav program>?

If they really liked movies, I would say that some type of 5.1 setup is probably best. Even a moderately priced HTinB would deliver a better experience than the in-built speakers. If they are occasional viewers than the soundbar would be an improvement and, depending on how tech savvy they are, might be less confusing than a home theatre setup. From what you've told me, I doubt a proper AV/speaker package is in your price range or even necessary. I'm researching a new surround setup and even though a friend of mine gets generous discounts from the retailer I intend on buying my gear from it is still into the $1600-$1800 dollar range and it will only be considered slightly above entry-level.

I hope this all helps in some way.

I have a nice surrounding system for my parents. They are starting to loose a tiny bit of hearing.  Not noticeable in real life, but they have to turn up TV higher.

After upgrading to new TV,  I disconnected the system and let the TV speakers do the job for a few days.   My parents did not want to go back to surround sound.   

For TV audio (not for music) the TV speakers are better for them, because they can hear the words more clear over background noise/music. 

Plus it has less bass, which also helps to hear words.

Anyway, they are using default tv speakers and are totally fine, in a big room.   They prefer it to full sound from the HIFI.    What a waste of money the HIFI was...

Audiophiles will never support soundbars, ever. Hell, they all still sit around and argue over the merits of different gauge speaker wire despite the fact  there seems to be only a trivial amount of difference between them in most cases. If we all took their advice we'd all be in debt up to our eyeballs. We'd have incredible systems, but we'd probably be paying them off for the rest of our lives.

In terms of quality it pretty much goes:

Soundbars > Home Theatre in a box (HYinB) > AV & speaker package.

The cost also sharply increases as you move from soundbars through to AV/speakers as well.

You also have to ask yourself home much TV do your parents watch, and what kind of stuff do they watch? Are they movie buffs? Is it pretty much just a thing for news, weather, and the occasional episode of <insert their fav program>?

If they really liked movies, I would say that some type of 5.1 setup is probably best. Even a moderately priced HTinB would deliver a better experience than the in-built speakers. If they are occasional viewers than the soundbar would be an improvement and, depending on how tech savvy they are, might be less confusing than a home theatre setup. From what you've told me, I doubt a proper AV/speaker package is in your price range or even necessary. I'm researching a new surround setup and even though a friend of mine gets generous discounts from the retailer I intend on buying my gear from it is still into the $1600-$1800 dollar range and it will only be considered slightly above entry-level.

I hope this all helps in some way.

Thanks for the advice, it does help a lot. The TV is on pretty much all day to be honest, just watching general TV crap...no way am I spending over a grand though! Maybe for myself in the distant future...

I have a nice surrounding system for my parents. They are starting to loose a tiny bit of hearing.  Not noticeable in real life, but they have to turn up TV higher.

After upgrading to new TV,  I disconnected the system and let the TV speakers do the job for a few days.   My parents did not want to go back to surround sound.   

For TV audio (not for music) the TV speakers are better for them, because they can hear the words more clear over background noise/music. 

Plus it has less bass, which also helps to hear words.

Anyway, they are using default tv speakers and are totally fine, in a big room.   They prefer it to full sound from the HIFI.    What a waste of money the HIFI was...

This is what has concerned me as well, and why it's a bit difficult for me to make a decision without hearing the TV at all, and just going off reviews. The sound on their current TV isn't so bad, the only problem is that when you're watching a film at night when everyone is in bed you're monitoring the volume in case it gets too loud in one place or too quiet in another - I don't know if that's a common problem or not though really.

IMO get a HTIAB.   If you don't want to run speaker wires from the front to the back, look for systems with wireless rear setups (will still need power and will need to wire from the wireless device to the speakers). 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HTH7500-Speaker-Blu-Ray-Theatre/dp/B00J4EOPL8

That one you linked is well over my budget, but if I was to go down that route an AV receiver I think would be better because I currently have a PC set up that has Plex installed which streams to a Chromecast, and all works seamlessly, so I don't really need a DVD or Blu ray player as well...unless these end up cheaper?

you can install the plex app on the HTIAB that I posted.  I have it on mine.  I also run netflix on it.  I also believe that it does support amazon prime (I don't have a sub but I can check when I get home (I mainly use it for plex and netflix). 

The point of the htiab is that everything is all encompassing.   You can obviously price out a component system and start with something cheaper if you so choose, the wireless is what makes this more expensive...If you cut the wireless out you can get a system for 1/2 the price. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-H5500-Channel-Blu-ray-Theatre-Black/dp/B00J4EPEHW  (this one has wifi, the one above has wifi and a wireless rear speaker setup)