Why Do People Buy iPhones?

I bought an iPhone 6 as a Christmas gift.

I got it at a fairly good deal (~?140 less than currently being sold, but it was still sealed), and thought, despite all the slating I do of iPhones and Apple in general, I would give it a go.

However, looking into a review on Tech Radar, it seems the first 6/7 pages are simply pointing out the faults and why Android is better.  I do understand Android phones have had features the new iPhone 6 now has for years, and even better features, which sort of makes me think Apple is purposely holding back so innovation can be at a minimal for their next iteration.

Despite what people say about Windows Phone, there is still a large app gap.  While it is closing every day, the development of said apps is ever widening.  Of course companies do not wish to invest in a system that is less than 10% in terms of usage, and those companies that have developed update their apps rarely.

VLC is a good example.  The time for VLC has perhaps come and gone.  Have people found alternatives and decided there is no reason to turn back?  I certainly have!

I have also read the features between the iOS/Android version and Windows Phone version are like chalk and cheese, the former being much better.  Have I noticed anything when using Twitter on either side?  Not really.

Is Apple using their brand to sell sub-standard products?

Yes.  It's clearly a yes.  Apple have a certain "up themselves" personality, which is what initially turned me off of them.  But here I am, on the brink of using an iPhone for the first time.  I feel slightly guilty for leaving Windows Phone but truly and honestly, there is nothing unique about that platform that makes me want to stay.  I looked at Android 5 and decided it looks pretty much the same as before; plus the more I look at the system, the more I see it as "clunky" compared with Windows Phone.

So all in all, after reading the review, looking at forums, photos... I am not sure I made the right choice.

I respect well balanced replies.  Completely bashing one OS or the other is not required here.

Edited by Andrew

I've always recommended iphones to older friends and relatives, even though I don't know much about them, I know my wife had an iphone 4 and hated it for the duration of her contract, but a huge part of this was due to syncing iTunes from my win 7 machine to her phone while zonealarm was running, and after the buttons became faulty, she couldn't get rid of it fast enough

All in all, like any decently put together smartphone, they're extremely capable devices, the reason I recommend them to older relatives etc, it because A very close friend of mine told me about how they're better, and have some of the more advanced features are not readily available in the menus, so theoretically, one couldn't accidentally change a setting by mistake, and wonder why a certain feature no longer works etc.

An added bonus, all iphones are basically an ipod too. 

I only went down the android path because I (still) am a huge Symbian phone lover, and with some tweaks here and there, I can set up my menus and some other features, to at some level, mimic my old N8.

As for windows (if applicable) I have never managed to get past looking at demonstration models shown to me in stores so I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of their ecosystem, (apart from the obvious, they're windows os)

• Like 1

I switched from a Nexus 5 to the iPhone 6 in September. My main motivation? It's an integrated platform. The operating system is optimised for the hardware; then there's the 'Continuity' integration between iOS and OS X. Not to mention the vast number of high quality apps available for iOS.

'Is Apple using their brand to sell sub-standard products?'

Sub-standard? Far from it. Let's ignore the massively overblown 'bendgate' issue and look at the iPhone 6/6 Plus for what they are - well designed pieces of hardware. Their specs may be lower than those of high-end Android smartphones, yet when you use an iPhone 6 it feels faster than most other phones. Thanks to the aforementioned optimisation of the OS for the hardware.

Your mileage may vary, but for me the switch to the iPhone 6 was the right thing to do. 

• Like 3

My main reason for switching to iPhone was because of the size. It's also got the easiest to use finger print sensor.

All Android manufacturers now seem to only have flagship specs on phablets and those are too big for me.

You probably want to use it for a week or two and see if you like it. Apple have a 14 day refund window.

I've never "switched" to iPhone, my first smartphone after blackberry's was an iPhone 3G and it's been great ever since.  The way Apple can integrate software and hardware is second to none.

• Like 3

I've always recommended iphones to older friends and relatives

Really? I've never owned an iphone myself (and neither has anyone in my immediate family) but I have a friend who gave his grandmother his old iphone when he last upgraded and over a year later and she is the only one (in his family) with an iphone and the only one who still has trouble using their smartphone.

That being said the reason I don't buy iphones is because I have never had problems with my Android phones and past experience with mac leaves me leaning away from Apple products (less flexibility in software mostly).

95% or more of phone buyers don't base their phone choice of a list of features, but rather usability, what they're used to and stability and support. as much as I dislike apple, in most of these they beat android and android phone makers

• Like 2

Right after the iPhone 6 came out, my iPhone 5 was destroyed when I threw it at someone in their car when they almost ran over my dog.

So, I didnt want to just run out and get an iPhone 6 & tried out: Galaxy S5 - too much bloat but had great screen, the G3 - kinda meh, then I went for the .... crap now I forget ... regardless I went through 4 phones in 1 week, and ended up with the iPhone 6 - it works, its fast, and it has a ton of apps.  It doesnt have the Super AMOLED screen of the Galaxy S5, but it has a nice one....

I dont care for apple people either - the apple hardware is great - but its the apple customer that I dont care for. hehe

I have had every iPhone - they work, you can always find a new app thats cool that you didnt know about.

VLC ?  Who cares about VLC on a phone ?

Right after the iPhone 6 came out, my iPhone 5 was destroyed when I threw it at someone in their car when they almost ran over my dog.

I hope it hit them too!

• Like 2

All Android manufacturers now seem to only have flagship specs on phablets and those are too big for me.

not all.     sony z3 compact is perfectly flagship with just the right size.

Well I'm getting a iPhone 6 soon and I currently have a Windows phone which I hate.

The reason I chose an iPhone is because I know they're good due to the fact everyone seems to have one.

I also had an iPhone in the past and I liked that a lot.

Apple is purposely holding back so innovation can be at a minimal for their next iteration

Not quite, they are never the first to implement something as new ideas always tend to be quite buggy.  What they usually do is wait a few years till they can get it right.  You only have to look at imessage and hangouts to see that....or google+ photos and photostream.  That said, I'm an android user myself as although google services tend to be buggy and slow, they are bleeding edge and I'm a techie at heart.

Why do people buy anything?

iOS is simple to use. iPhone 3GS was my first smart phone, before that was a Samsung Blackjack. I had the 3GS, 4, 4S and I tried Android on HTC Aria and Samsung Note 1, the experience sucked. Then I read about the Nexus 5 and realized I wanted to try just stock Android. Now, I'm hooked and won't go back to an iPhone unless I have to.

I know I'll get hate but:

iOS - Simple to use, there are not many advanced options to tweak, great for those that easily get overwhelmed or the elderly, completely locked down ecosystem, no real choice outside of iTunes/App Store 

Android - Simple to use, many more options, great customization, a true power user's type of device,  open ecosystem, even with the obvious drawbacks, still the better option 

WP8 - Simple to use, almost too simple, lacks apps, trying too hard top be Apple and lock people into the ecosystem

Now these are basic ides for those that don't want to root/jaibreak/? when it comes to that nothing beats Android, custom ROMS, homebrew ROMS, alt app stores 

Pick whatever works better for you 

not all.     sony z3 compact is perfectly flagship with just the right size.

Kinda forgot about that one.  :laugh:

Lost interest in the Xperia Z3 phones when Sony said the camera would lose features/quality once you unlock the bootloader.

• Like 1

All 3 ecosystems have their stengths and weakness. I have, and use, all 3 systems. Want something that is awesome and just works? IOS. Want something you can tweak endlessly? Android. Want something that's a killer deal? Windows.

• Like 2

I don't think many people care about the number of "features" a phone has.  Around here, the only people complaining about that are the Apple haters.  They're so up-in-arms over who did something first, even though that means absolutely nothing...

I personally prefer iOS because it's stable, simple, not bloated, and the apps are generally very polished.  In my experience, Android doesn't come close to this.  I have a Nexus 7 and Lollipop has definitely made Android magnitudes better, but it's still inconsistent in many areas.  I still get some lag, but I'm assuming that's because the new OS isn't optimized for it.

I've had the 4S and now the 5S and my experience has been nothing but flawless.  The battery life on both have been great and I usually go all weekend without a charge.  I have 2 pages of apps, so I'm obviously not a person that needs a bunch of junk on my phone.  I like having quick access to the calculator, flashlight, and camera, which is something that iOS bests the other 2 OSs in.  Less is more, and that's a huge reason why Apple does so well with these phones.  A monkey could use them, and that's a good thing.

• Like 2

OP, you mention buying it as a christmas gift and reading reviews.

Have you used it to see what you like / don't like about it?

(Also, VLC was brilliant - still is as a single play almost anything app, but it just hasn't evolved and feels archaic)

So, I didnt want to just run out and get an iPhone 6 & tried out: Galaxy S5 - too much bloat but had great screen, the G3 - kinda meh, then I went for the .... crap now I forget ... regardless I went through 4 phones in 1 week, and ended up with the iPhone 6 - it works, its fast, and it has a ton of apps.  It doesnt have the Super AMOLED screen of the Galaxy S5, but it has a nice one....

S5 is a great phone. You should have kept it... You can take bloat crap out of Android phone... and act like 'clean' phone.  or you can get rid of stock ROM and install custom ROM so it doesn't have bloat...

I do this every time I get a new phone. 

S5 is a great phone. You should have kept it... You can take bloat crap out of Android phone... and act like 'clean' phone.  or you can get rid of stock ROM and install custom ROM so it doesn't have bloat...

I do this every time I get a new phone. 

to almost all buyers, this seems like an unnecessary hassle.

• Like 2

Bust see we have options, you can also get a Moto X or G, the closest you can get to 100% stock Android outside of the Nexus line, not sure why he didn't like the G3, one of the lightest skins out there and runs very well and even better once you disable an app or two, and dat screen, I'm waiting for my N6 to ship :\

/face palm

It's their decision... Not yours. We have options for everything...

Even the cars, houses, etc... that we make some changes to the way we like...

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think all in all, I have made the right choice.

So long as I can get another one at a good deal price for me :P