SpaceX Updates (Thread 5)

Looks like I misunderstood the context of what I had read concerning the Air Force certification stuff ... wouldn't be the first time.  :pinch:

(Don't do illegal substances in your youth, kids. They will rob you of your high-level cognitive abilities later in life, and you'll miss important cues during discussions. That's the lesson here.)

Moving right along ...

The ASDS needs some TLC. Any word on whether it needs to put in for repairs now, or could it still handle a F9 Recovery/Landing if needed? Looks like it took a beating, and I'd be concerned about electrical system problems if seawater got into any of the support systems (but this is SpaceX, and they'd have redundant systems in place to take over).

It needs some repairs and will also get some enhancements, which will likely be added to ASDS Of Course I Still Love You as well.

Not a problem since the next landing opportunity won't likely be until April 8-ish with Dragon CRS-6. The next two flights are GTO missions, likely with few propellant reserves.

Hmmmm....

This Space Exploration Network headline caught my attention,

http://sen.com/blogs/irene-klotz/spacex-bypassing-replacement-for-lost-falcon-9r-landing-test-vehicle

SpaceX bypassing replacement for lost Falcon 9R landing test vehicle

Sen: In 2013, SpaceX signed a three-year agreement for land and facilities at Spaceport America in New Mexico, intending to test fly an experimental rocket known as Falcon 9R Dev, which was part of program to develop reusable rockets.

>

Which is a paywall site, but Portal On The Universe has a more informative outtake,

http://www.portaltotheuniverse.org/blogs/posts/view/368993/

>

Ocean tests using operational Falcon 9 rockets have been so successful that SpaceX is not currently planning to build a replacement for the Falcon 9R development vehicle that was lost during a test flight last year.

>

If true, there will be no F9R Dev-2 vehicle and McGregor can move directly to flying the DragonFly Dragon 2 propulsive landing test vehicle (an FAA DragonFly requirement was that the F9R Dev program had to conclude first.)

It needs some repairs and will also get some enhancements, which will likely be added to ASDS Of Course I Still Love You as well.

Not a problem since the next landing opportunity won't likely be until April 8-ish with Dragon CRS-6. The next two flights are GTO missions, likely with few propellant reserves.

Did I miss something.  They are adding another ASDS?

There have to prove to the USAF and the FAA (mainly the USAF) that they will have command and control of the incoming stages so as to prevent 1) injuries/deaths, 2) Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (Patrick AFB), Vandenberg AFB or KSC infrastructure damage, and 3) that they'll have control of the stages flight termination system.

To prove these SpaceX is to do stage landing on ASDS with full telemetry, recordings etc. Once the telemetry shows C&C etc. they'll be cleared to land at the bases.

The USAF anticipates this won't be a problem or they wouldn't have leased SpaceX both LC-13 at CCAFS and SLC-4W at Vandenberg AFB. In fact Brig. Gen. Armagnothe, the CO of the USAF 45th Space Wing, says she's pretty excited about it.

• Like 1

Glad they've got the CO of the 45th SW supporting them, as well as some of the higher-ups. SpaceX has proven they can get the job done and are ready for more.

And the F9H going into production ... that brought a big smile to my face. Can't wait to see that bird take flight. :fun:

How many test flights do they plan to conduct before it's first actual mission? One or two would be my guesstimate, unless something goes horribly wrong -- but I can't imagine it would be anything more severe than Acoustic Vibration and/or Stress on the Central Core, which the brains working on F9H would already account for. We already know the engines are super reliable.

FH gets one successful test flight then it's straight to work. It has USAF and commercial payloads booked. Its not on the manifest, yet, but a Bigelow module is a good bet once the Commercial Crew spacecraft are certified.

That's assuming the maiden flight isn't a real payload, which is possible. They're strangely silent about if it'll be a mass simulator or not. People are placing bets, with the sentimental (but unlikely) favorite being a Dragon looping around the Moon & back. Lockheed would have a cow.

• Like 2

People are placing bets, with the sentimental (but unlikely) favorite being a Dragon looping around the Moon & back. Lockheed would have a cow.

And I would LOVE to see Lockheed have a cow!

• Like 2

There have to prove to the USAF and the FAA (mainly the USAF) that they will have command and control of the incoming stages so as to prevent 1) injuries/deaths, 2) Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (Patrick AFB), Vandenberg AFB or KSC infrastructure damage, and 3) that they'll have control of the stages flight termination system.

To prove these SpaceX is to do stage landing on ASDS with full telemetry, recordings etc. Once the telemetry shows C&C etc. they'll be cleared to land at the bases.

The USAF anticipates this won't be a problem or they wouldn't have leased SpaceX both LC-13 at CCAFS and SLC-4W at Vandenberg AFB. In fact Brig. Gen. Armagnothe, the CO of the USAF 45th Space Wing, says she's pretty excited about it.

Almost there then. After all, even with that crash on the ASDS a few weeks ago, the stage was DEAD on target despite having run out of hydraulic fluid for it's grid fins...

Ok, found some more info over at NSF. Apparently it is a 'slight' Merlin 1D upgrade where it gets 20% more thrust?

The Merlin upgrade happened a while ago. They've been sandbagging F9's performance by launching at only 85% throttle,.and even understating payload performance in the specs. Oops.

In addition to the engine upgrade F9 itself gets a change; they'll be doing propellant densification. They've installed heat exchangers in the tanks, through which they'll pump liquid nitrogen into the RP-1 tank to chill it, increasing its density. This will let them load more fuel onboard. They'll also further chill the LOX, increasing its density as well

This all lets them feed those suddenly hungrier Merlins without physically enlarging the tanks. All their pads get the new densification infrastructure.

• Like 1

Sneaky, sneaky soy sauce ...  :shiftyninja:

Gotta hand it to them, playing cards close to the chest like that. If we remember the Space Shuttle, the three Main Engines would ramp up to 104% during launch ... although I'm pretty sure that was an arbitrary number and it was actually closer to 95% or so.

So if I remember launch physics correctly, weight-to-thrust calculations are around 25% (meaning that every four pounds of thrust a vehicle has, they can send one pound up) after accounting for gravity, dynamic pressures on the vehicle, and so on .. correct? Of course, this depends on efficiency factors, and we know those Merlins are among the most efficient ever made.

Nice, can't wait to see the F9E launch. That first stage is going to look downright angry when she takes flight. :yes:

That's okay .. it gets more powerful as well, to the tune of +15% or better, without having to change any hardware.

Too bad they aren't planning a "Super" variant, with four boosters ... naaah. Ignore the seven-year-old in me.  :rofl:  

Now the 40-something "me" kicks back in, running the Engineering stuff ... "Structural stresses on the Core Stage during launch", and "the Launch Pad isn't built for that". Heh.

AIUI,

all 3 F9 cores are built to a structural margin of 1.4 vs 1.2 or 1.25 like most other cores. The 2 boosters thrust loads are born by their Octaweb engine bays, which are massively over-built due to the armor plating for engine-outs. Basically, the boosters lift the center core from the bottom. The upper booster mounts mainly bear horizontal loads, and the basic F9 structure was designed to bear it for the Heavy.

True, but the central core would still have to be built with "Super-Heavy" payloads in mind for a "Super" variant to be needed. This, however, does not consider whether a redesign is applicable in this case; but for this discussion let's assume that it isn't necessary here. Remember, this is SpaceX and not a Government operation ... we'll work with what we have if we can. That's what Marty would do. ;)

From an Engineering perspective, this would require reinforcing the Core by 10-35% to deal with the additional payload weights and the launch stresses, depending on what the computer models and good practices dictate. Add in a safety margin (as all good Engineers do) of 5% and we're in business structurally.

All that's left now is to determine where to attach the other two Boosters, add synchronization control/flight software, and build a Launch Pad to accommodate it.

Of course, it's never that straightforward. ;)

Two things we know are that the F9 core was designed with Heavy in mind, and commonality is their mantra. We've already seen that a core can be morphed between landing and expendable. I wouldn't be sure surprised if recycled F9R stages end up as FH center cores.: