Which Linux distro would be best for this crappy laptop? I'm open for suggestions!

Hello Neowinians! I need your help!

initial Windows update took 7 hours for 187 updates to install completely! So I'm trying one last thing... Linux.

This is actually normal. Took me around 3 hours to install windows 7 and to update it last fall on a SSD using a core i5 ...

If you know how linux works and how to get around to things, use CrunchBang. CrunchBang is a very bare distro, but at the same time is very lightweight.

Dependant on your knowledge and willingness to learn I would suggest Archlinux or Debian.

With Arch you can build your system from the ground up, installing the exact packages you want and running only the services you want. As such it is very lightweight and fast even on the slowest of machines. Its drawback being that initial configuration and installation is command line based. It is a rolling release distribution so as such once its installed all you have to do is run a system upgrade regularly to stay up to date, as long as you check their website for any new news or manual changes that may be required before updating, it works very well. Arch have a very comprehensive wiki with all the information that you will need to install a great system.

I run Arch on a EeePC7014G, with a Celeron M353 @ 600MHz and my basic installation with everything i need the netbook for runs extremely well.

Debian is very stable, but may not run the most up-to-date applications. However, thanks to its vigorous testing problems encountered are few and far between and usually caused by the end user. It has a great package manager (apt-get) and there are numerous pre-built packages available in .deb format for anything you need that may not be in the repositories making installation/compiling them a breeze. Debian is more user-friendly and has a great community.

Lubuntu.

I have it installed on a 8 years old Acer desktop PC (AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 1Ghz, 3 GB RAM, a dedicated 40GB HDD and AMD Radeon Card) and it works great, I can watch videos up to 720p, listen to music, use LibreOffice and browse the web with Firefox, although I use Midori for heavier websites.

7 hours is a bit long, as one other has said already - you should do a drive test. Updates should only take 2-3 hours iirc (comparing to a 1.3GHz Atom netbook) I suspect your HDD is dying and installing Linux wouldn't help with the matter.

You guys wanna let the OP reply? He hasn't said anything yet since his first question on Dec. 14. Most likely, he isn't interested anymore.