Your fav partition scheme

I am downloading slackware at the moment, and wanted your advice regarding partition types/sizes. I have >6 gigs set aside for linux. (no printer, not connected to a network)

\boot 100m

\var 1g

\temp 500m

\swap 768m (256 * 3)

\usr 1g

\ 2g

on my old machine I had this setup and it worked very well, specs:

RH9/winxp

hda1 - 69gb fat32 winxp c: drive mounted in linux as /mnt/winc/

hda2 - 10gb ext3 mounted at /

hda3 - 1gb swap

(this was an 80gb 7200rpm western digital on an ata133 interface)

hdb1 - 80gb fat32 winxp f: drive mounted as /mnt/storage/

(another 80gb wd)

768mb sdram 133mhz

p3 866

via chipset

3dfx voodoo 5 5500

sound blaster audigy

my new system is the same except:

p4 3.0 ghz

intel chipset (875p)

ati 9800xt

1GB DDR 400

I will change the partition setup after kernel 2.6 comes out and works well on SATA

because I plan on getting one of those new 120gb 10000rpm sata drives and putting another 3GB of ram in

I needed all the swap to fix some problems with aome very large images that I was dealing with but after I install the next 3 gigs of ram I doubt I'll need any swap whatsoever.

just install xp

What an idiot.

On my Linux box, I have 10 gigs for Slack. 32MB for /boot, 512MB for SWAP, and the remaining for the root partition. By the way, you don't need such a large Swap partition. 512 is just enough; remember the 2x rule (RAM x 2 = Swap). 2GB for /root however, is just fine. From the looks of it, I think your partition schema looks good. (Y)

What an idiot.

On my Linux box, I have 10 gigs for Slack. 32MB for /boot, 512MB for SWAP, and the remaining for the root partition. By the way, you don't need such a large Swap partition. 512 is just enough; remember the 2x rule (RAM x 2 = Swap). 2GB for /root however, is just fine. From the looks of it, I think your partition schema looks good. (Y)

Yep, although he might want to set some aside for home if he plans to use that heavily and doesn't have a large common partition to store stuff on.

I followed the recommendations in the Gentoo Install Guide when I did mine (though I later added another partition).

I have:

/dev/hda5 - /boot = 100MB

/dev/hda6 - swap = 512MB

/dev/hda7 - / = 10GB

Then I later added this because I was running out of space on / (and most of the space was being taken up in my home dir from downloads, wine programs, and other miscellaneous stuff).

/dev/hda8 - /home = 18GB

If I was to do it all over, I'd probably split /dev/hda8 into 2 partitions (10 and 8) and mount the 10GB part at /usr and the 8GB part at /home and I'd leave the rest as above.

I don't use a very complex partitioning scheme.

/boot - 64M

/swap - 384M

/ - the rest. I don't even know how much space I've got for Gentoo ATM - it's more than I need though. ^_^

I used to do that, but then it dawned on me one day... I don't keep anything in my home directory that would cause me to cry if I lost it. Right now my home directory has my various .resource files and my desktop configs. For years, I've actually kept all of my personal data on a cf card in /dev/sdb or /dev/hda2 (both Fat32) for ease of access in XP. ^.^

So it looks like we're throwing the word 'idiot' around a lot in this thread. OK. Here's a couple more.

1gb swap
:wacko:
swap = 1GB

\swap 768m (256 * 3
swap = 512MB

:jump: So there is intelligent life in this forum

Edited by El_Cu_Guy

/boot = 35mb

/home = ${EVAL_REQUIRED_FILES_SPACE} // That being a certain percentage of the disk,. if 40 gb, i'll give 25 here.

<swap> = 1.3 * ${RAM}; // Unless ram is >= 512mb i'll set it up to 700~ish.

/ = the rest.

So it looks like we're throwing the word 'idiot' around a lot in this thread.  OK.  Here's a couple more.

Just a habit, Swap = RAM / 2. Can't remember the last time any of it got used though.

Just a habit, Swap = RAM / 2. Can't remember the last time any of it got used though

Even for those that still use large swap partitions most consider anything beyond 500 (or 512) to be a waste.

One exception might be large applications such as computer-aided-design simulators, database-management products, transaction monitors, and geologic analysis systems can consume as much as 200-1000 Mbytes of swap space.

I doubt any of you are running such apps.