Scarlett Johansson will star in the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie

8X55gci.png

Scarlett Johansson, who demonstrated that women make awesome, bankable action stars with last year's Lucy, has signed up for DreamWork's adaptation of the anime Ghost in the Shell, according to Variety. Rupert Sanders, best known for Snow White and the Huntsman, will direct a script by Bill Wheeler.

The 1995 animated film Ghost in the Shell is itself an adaptation of the manga of the same name. Directed by Mamoru Oshii, the film follows Motoko Kusanaigi and her security agency squad members on their search for a malicious hacker named the Puppet Master. That's really just the introduction, as the film blooms into a masterpiece about technology, sex, and paranoia.

"DreamWorks principal Steven Spielberg is a huge fan of the original," says the report on Variety, "and has long wanted to get this film off the ground." Hollywood has a pathetic history of making action films with female leads, but it's also known to emulate recent successes. With Johansson's financial and creative hits Lucy and Under the Skin receiving acclaim

• Like 3

Scarlett Johansson, who demonstrated that women make awesome, bankable action stars with last year's Lucy

Really? I would have said that Gina Carano did that with films like Haywire. Lucy didn't offer anything of merit for me.

With that said, I like Ghost in the Shell, so I'd be interested in seeing a live-action version.

Really? I would have said that Gina Carano did that with films like Haywire. Lucy didn't offer anything of merit for me.

With that said, I like Ghost in the Shell, so I'd be interested in seeing a live-action version.

It's not so much that lucy was some great movie only that it's made money and scarlet is a well known female actress compared to others. Her in the movie helps sell it to movie goers.

as long as the fantastic intro is in there and the philosophy that GitS brings is still present, I'm more then happy to see this live action adaptation. Of course that would mean we can see some brutal action sequences, fantastic kills and cool advanced technology. Oh and nudes!

I could see this being a good thing. She's a pretty good actress. I'm more worried about the director and the "Hollywoodification" of the original story.

Mmmmmm....Gina Carano... :drool:

Ghost in the shell has nudity in it iirc, just saying. :p

Well she was buck naked in under the skin, no body doubles... I fapped... I mean watched that movie so many times :shifty:

• Like 2

saw her in Lucy and i think she can be a good person for GitS.

looking forward to it and hope the the story writer won't butcher the original story.

Michelle Yeoh, Grace Park, Ming Na, Lucy Liu, Devon Aoki, Tamlyn Tomita, where do I stop?

Yeah, yeah - they need her celebrity to get the checks cut, but still what about her says "Motoko Kusanagi"?

Michelle Yeoh, Grace Park, Ming Na, Lucy Liu, Devon Aoki, Tamlyn Tomita, where do I stop?

Yeah, yeah - they need her celebrity to get the butt cheeks out, but still what about her says "Motoko Kusanagi"?

FTFY.

Yeah, yeah - they need her celebrity to get the checks cut, but still what about her says "Motoko Kusanagi"?

while true that Scarlett appeal more to the movie goers, the truth is that neither of those actress in that list are quite fit for the role as well.

I would prefer a unknown, good actress that would do justice to the role then a celebrity one.

Why does she have to be Asian in this version? It can still be ghost in the shell and take place in new York and she can be white or black or whatever, her body isn't human to begin with. The story allows for them to change things.

What about Pamela Andersson in Barb Wire ?   :D:p

I hope they don't forget the Fuchikoma's/Tachikoma's! :p

Isn't the movie the only one where they don't appear ? so then it would depend on whether they stay true to the movie or the other variations of the story in the series or the original manga. 

but still what about her says "Motoko Kusanagi"?

Her emotionless to the point acting in lucy pretty much screamed it... but... 

Why does she have to be Asian in this version? It can still be ghost in the shell and take place in new York and she can be white or black or whatever, her body isn't human to begin with. The story allows for them to change things.

It's in the lore as well. She goes from an adult female to a child body and back again.

That being said I'd rather they just left Ghost in the Shell alone. The movie will most likely not do it any justice.

Isn't the movie the only one where they don't appear ? so then it would depend on whether they stay true to the movie or the other variations of the story in the series or the original manga. 

Her emotionless to the point acting in lucy pretty much screamed it... but... 

She wasn't emotionless though. Have you watched Arise yet?

This is going to fail hard. Johansson couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. She's just not capable of carrying a high budget film, as evidenced by the awful performance in Lucy.

For not being a good actress she has a boatload of nominations and awards worldwide, including a Broadway Tony for A View from the Bridge. She's also up for a Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Actress in an Action Movie in Lucy and won a Best Actress BAFTA for Lost in Translation. Her performance in The Prestiege was also very good.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Scarlett_Johansson

I'll watch it.. at least once.

btw, just a reminder for those trying to draw lines. The Ghost in the Shell Movie, the Stand Alone Complex/2nd Gig series, and Arise, are all not part of the same "universe". They have different backstories and don't flow together.

Scarlet is pretty awful acting-wise. Lost in Translation fit her in the same way the role of Neo in Matrix fit Keanu Reeves, and that's about it. But drawing the Matrix comparison again, depending on what they do with the character, she can be passable.

I have no doubt the movie is going to be bad. It's clear as day this is just a cash grab based on an existing franchise. I highly doubt the guy who did Snow White and the Huntsman has a passion project of this scale. More likely, he's just a hired gun that will oblige to studio's whims.

It's in the lore as well. She goes from an adult female to a child body and back again.

That being said I'd rather they just left Ghost in the Shell alone. The movie will most likely not do it any justice.

She wasn't emotionless though. Have you watched Arise yet?

So your counter was that she wasn't emotionless in ONE other example that wasn't even the one they're basing this on ? :p

also if I remember correctly, not only has she changed body, at some point she was in a boy body or something, I seem to remember they made fun of her for that, might have been one of the manga's. 

I'll watch it.. at least once.

btw, just a reminder for those trying to draw lines. The Ghost in the Shell Movie, the Stand Alone Complex/2nd Gig series, and Arise, are all not part of the same "universe". They have different backstories and don't flow together.

It's one of those weird anime/manga things, where they tell the same story multiple times, Apleeseed is the same. every movie/series basically tell the same story.  but not.