Two more changes I would like to see in Win 10

FIrst, of course, put back the old games instead of the crap on Metro. My wife will not switch to 8.1 without them, let alone 10. I have seen ways to move the games over to Win 8, but too complicated for me to be comfortable doing them. AE Solitare is extremely poorly done. Even the shuffle is completely non-random. I fully understand this is not an earth shaking issue (unless you are dealing with my wife).

All of the windows from MS utilities and functions. Like all of the things opened from the control panel and things you eventually get to through there......

Remember the last use and restore with the same size and screen locations. How many person hours are spent doing nothing more than getting the window readable each and evdry time you use the target process. If nothing else; open them in the middle of the screen. Even on a small 24" screen it is annoying and not useful to have to move them over for comfortable reading.

I know; petty issues. But I have to buy and use this stuff.

• Like 2

well, as for the wife, and I speak from experience, if she isn't happy, YOU aren't happy.  :laugh: .  

time will tell if that issue you are having does get addressed.

Perhaps someone can put in a comment to MSFT on this issue?

I agree. A lot of people don't even need or want a Microsoft account accept they need one so they can download the games from the store.

In fact i just got a call from someone who got a new Windows 8 machine and was craving some spider solitaire, so they went and Google and searched for it, well you can imagine how this story turns out.

I agree. A lot of people don't even need or want a Microsoft account accept they need one so they can download the games from the store.

In fact i just got a call from someone who got a new Windows 8 machine and was craving some spider solitaire, so they went and Google and searched for it, well you can imagine how this story turns out.

This is just a silly argument.

You have to make accounts for everything these days.

Is it so hard to make a MS account? Just use it for the store if that's all you want to do with it.

You can still use all your other services.

All of the windows from MS utilities and functions. Like all of the things opened from the control panel and things you eventually get to through there......

I'm not even sure what you're saying here. First of all, putting this stuff all "back" takes up space, requires extensive Q&A, and support, and it drags down the UX by dragging along components that should by all means be stripped out due to deprecation.

I hate to be "that guy", but pieces are removed for reasons.

I think people are just annoy

I'm not even sure what you're saying here. First of all, putting this stuff all "back" takes up space, requires extensive Q&A, and support, and it drags down the UX by dragging along components that should by all means be stripped out due to deprecation.

I think there are millions of old people and many in their 50's that would prefer Microsoft "Leave their god damn solitaire alone" :D

Like the start menu? You say that but fact is, if there is a demand, things can be added back.

• Like 5

Sorry Dot Matrix, but I have no idea what you just said. I do not know what pieces would be removed.

Short statement of my intent: If a window is opened or able to be opened, and not a component of a user application, if needs to reopen as last configured size and position on the screen. That may be overly general (I was trying to narrow it down in my original post).

If I have ever used it; use my settings until I tell you otherwise. There is also a lot of strangeness about this in looking at individual files or folders in explorer and having views changed to what MS (rather arrogantly (IMHO) thinks they should be. Hardly ever correct. Sort of the same with insisting that their predifined folders (or directories as we used to call them) for various types of files and default locations for downloads be used. On the C drive, where I never want to store data and files.

And there are people in their 70s that are not amused by MS decisions. We programmed 360s in assembler and wired program panels for this stuff.

Like the start menu? You say that but fact is, if there is a demand, things can be added back.

Things can be added "back", but things will never remain the same. Windows 10 might be bringing "back" (use that term loosely) the Start Menu, but it's not the same one that was removed before, and is very much a "new" feature.

Sorry Dot Matrix, but I have no idea what you just said. I do not know what pieces would be removed.

Short statement of my intent: If a window is opened or able to be opened, and not a component of a user application, if needs to reopen as last configured size and position on the screen. That may be overly general (I was trying to narrow it down in my original post).

If I have ever used it; use my settings until I tell you otherwise. There is also a lot of strangeness about this in looking at individual files or folders in explorer and having views changed to what MS (rather arrogantly (IMHO) thinks they should be. Hardly ever correct. Sort of the same with insisting that their predifined folders (or directories as we used to call them) for various types of files and default locations for downloads be used. On the C drive, where I never want to store data and files.

And there are people in their 70s that are not amused by MS decisions. We programmed 360s in assembler and wired program panels for this stuff.

I'm not sure what programming 360s has to do with anything here. It's commendable, but generally, people in their 70's aren't the target audience of tech companies.

My #1 Request for windows 10.. is allow setup and creation of a user without a windows live account as an option.  I have had to setup 2 8.1 laptops in the past year, both of them I had to disable the wireless so I could finish the setup.  The laptops were for my kids who don't have or need a windows live account.

drags down the UX by dragging along components that should by all means be stripped out due to deprecation.

Wait.. so running an app OUTSIDE of metro.. drags down the user experience? Are you saying that we should have NO Non-Metro apps? Good luck with that holmes.

My #1 Request for windows 10.. is allow setup and creation of a user without a windows live account as an option.  I have had to setup 2 8.1 laptops in the past year, both of them I had to disable the wireless so I could finish the setup.  The laptops were for my kids who don't have or need a windows live account.

Wait.. so running an app OUTSIDE of metro.. drags down the user experience? Are you saying that we should have NO Non-Metro apps? Good luck with that holmes.

They do have local accounts in Windows 8.

And for the apps... Look at the complaints about two of everything in Windows 8. It's one or the other. Since Windows 10 is pushing for device parity, guess what that leaves?

There is an option to create a local account? 

• Like 2

There is an option to create a local account? 

Yep, it's hidden unless you don't have a live internet connection. I haven't tried to see if it appears if you enter bogus credentials for an account, but I figure it might pop up in that case as well.

I've never seen that option.  Unless I disable wireless.  

It's Slimy, but during the initial setup when it gets to the section about the Microsoft account the option not to use a Microsoft account is hidden inside create a Microsoft account, just click create a Microsoft account, and then on the next screen at the very bottom it says "Sign in without a Microsoft Account."

Not looking to hard then.

attachicon.gifLocal.PNG

Explain to my why the option not to use one is hidden inside the screen to create one?

Dont mind needing an account to install apps really.  Just how things are going.  Would be nice if they would leave some stand alone apps like the games for those who dont want to use a bunch of webapps on the desktop.  But as long as you can load them in windowed mode, I thing that will appease a lot of people.

Explain to my why the option to to use one is hidden inside the screen to create one?

The features of Windows 8 and Windows 10 are dead without one?

The features of Windows 8 and Windows 10 are dead without one?

No offense dude, but that's actually a good reason to stay 7, I'm not trying to start a flamewar, I just don't like the idea of having to use credentials logging in to some server everytime I want to use my pc, I only have log ins for a few sites, this one included where I have to log in, but then I don't social network neither

No offense dude, but that's actually a good reason to stay 7, I'm not trying to start a flamewar, I just don't like the idea of having to use credentials logging in to some server everytime I want to use my pc, I only have log ins for a few sites, this one included where I have to log in, but then I don't social network neither

Yea, logging in to use a desktop OS to a server/site....not a big fan either.  Mobile devices, sure that is how they always were.  Downloading apps, ok sure. But just to use a desktop OS, NTY.

Not a big social networking fan either.  Only reason I have FB is because family posts pictures in there and I wouldnt see them if I didnt have an account.  Otherwise, I would never use it.  No personal info, no likes on FB...nothing.