Montana police officer breaks down after fatally shooting unarmed man

When cops are murdered and ambushed, yea I would be frightened on on edge to.  Bad for civilians, bad for cops.

And lax gun laws don't really help the matter, do they?

No, I am not.  Yes, the cop probably knew he was on meth.  But look at what meth does to people on a mental level.  Makes them violent, makes then unpredictable.  And no telling what he was reaching for, if what the cop said was true.  Just because someone knows another is on meth, doesnt make the situation easier.  Its not like, oh I know you are on meth and because of that, you dont have to follow orders and if you are reaching or something, you are no threat.  Just on meth.  The fact the guy was on meth made the situation worse.

And meth makes it less likely for a person to have the ability to pull a gun quickly and actually aim the damn thing. It also explains why the guy didn't have the faculty to comply with orders. So, yes, you are.

• Like 1

And lax gun laws don't really help the matter, do they?

There are lots of people who should not own a gun.  But the problem is, people will still find a way to get them.  Just like drugs.  Marijuana is illegal in a lot of areas. However, I several people who grow it in the Phoenix area.  I know lots of people who smoke it.  If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to get it.

There are lots of people who should not own a gun.  But the problem is, people will still find a way to get them.  Just like drugs.  Marijuana is illegal in a lot of areas. However, I several people who grow it in the Phoenix area.  I know lots of people who smoke it.  If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to get it.

People find a way to get them because they're so damn easy to get them. That's the problem.

People find a way to get them because they're so damn easy to get them. That's the problem.

They always will be.  Especially with weapons/drugs being smuggled over the boarder all the time.  Can pass all the laws and restrictions you want.

And no gun law will change that. We can't keep weed, coke or illegals out of this country much less 1.5 pound handguns.

And no gun law will change that. We can't keep weed, coke or illegals out of this country much less 1.5 pound handguns.

And you can also print your own gun now.  Getting easier and easier to own/have a firearm.

And you can also print your own gun now. Getting easier and easier to own/have a firearm.

You don't even need a 3D printer. Anyone with basic metal shop skills can build a .380 submachine gun from supplies obtained in a Home Depot or a Tru-Value hardware. Extra points & capabilities if there's a Harbor Freight Tools nearby.

Yes, I saw someone Hewlett-Packing the other day.

Boooooo. :p

You don't even need a 3D printer. Anyone with basic metal shop skills can build a .380 submachine gun from supplies obtained in a Home Depot or a Tru-Value hardware. Extra points & capabilities if there's a Harbor Freight Tools nearby.

True, just meant that its easier now that ever.  Dont need metal shop skills.  Just a printer and file/info to program it. 

I prefer not to execute nonviolent criminals. The nonviolent ones can usually be reformed through hard labor on a chain gang. Violent criminals should be executed immediately though.

In this case the meth user should have been sentenced to 10 years of hard labor.

According to the National Institute of Justice the recidivism rates for non-violent offenders is higher.

Property crimes: 82.1%

Drug offenders: 76.9%

Violent offenders: 71.3%

Soo, Maybe you guys should start learning something from all those people you send to europe to see if our prisons really are as "holiday camp" as you hear and if criminals really come out, with the majority being good citizens, coming back all shocked that not only are we treating and reforming criminals, in a lot shorter time as well. 

meanwhile you guys keep punishing and torturing them with just locking them up with other more experienced people or putting them to hard slave labor, and being surprised they come out as hardened criminals :rolleyes:

• Like 1

And you can also print your own gun now.  Getting easier and easier to own/have a firearm.

That's still way more difficult to do than to just swipe it from a legal gun owner or purchase at a venue that doesn't have background checks. Also, where are they going to get the ammo? Make it themselves? If so, fine. Let them risk blowing their faces off trying to do it.

Crimes occur because of opportunity. Reduce the opportunities, and you reduce the crimes.

Gun laws that reduce supply of guns will. The high supply of guns to satisfy the insatiable appetite of legal gun owners is why it's so easy for criminals to get their hands on guns. 

Education will also help. Most people don't realize that violent crimes have been dropping for years, but people are more chicken-###### than ever before and feel that they NEED guns to protect themselves. It's probably because of how easily news travels these days that it seems crimes have actually gone up. (And no, it's not BECAUSE so many people have guns that crime rates have gone down. That's a canard.)

• Like 1

That's still way more difficult to do than to just swipe it from a legal gun owner or purchase at a venue that doesn't have background checks. Also, where are they going to get the ammo? Make it themselves? If so, fine. Let them risk blowing their faces off trying to do it.

Crimes occur because of opportunity. Reduce the opportunities, and you reduce the crimes.

About 15 years ago a high school shop teacher in one of Detroit's suburbs was arrested by ATF and the Federal Marshals. He had his students making submachine guns by the boatload, and split the profits with them.

If you think his was the only operation like that I have this bridge.....

The fact is that the Feds and state police agencies keep warehouse sized museums full of homebrew firearms so they can compare them to new products by repeat manufacturers or their students.

Take a away law abiding people's guns, or somehow stop thefts, and the black market production lines will take over.

And don't forget y hat the AK-47 was designed to be produced under adverse conditions.

Boooooo. :p

True, just meant that its easier now that ever.  Dont need metal shop skills.  Just a printer and file/info to program it. 

Yeah, it's so easy it still takes thousands of dollars to purchase a good one, purchase of a computer, learning how to program it, waiting probably hours for the damn thing to print, learning how to assemble, ######ing it up and trying over and over again to get it right, etc. Meanwhile, you can swipe a gun out of the glove box of some moron legal gun who left his gun in his car in 5 seconds flat.

About 15 years ago a high school shop teacher in one of Detroit's suburbs was arrested by ATF and the Federal Marshals. He had his students making submachine guns by the boatload, and split the profits with them.

If you think his was the only operation like that I have this bridge.....

The fact is that the Feds and state police agencies keep warehouse sized museums full of homebrew firearms so they can compare them to New products by repeat manufacturers or their students.

If you think this the totality of the operations amounts to a hill of beans compared to legal guns getting into criminal hands, I have even a bigger bridge...

Yeah, it's so easy it still takes thousands of dollars to purchase a good one, purchase of a computer, learning how to program it, waiting probably hours for the damn thing to print, learning how to assemble, ######ing it up and trying over and over again to get it right, etc. Meanwhile, you can swipe a gun out of the glove box of some moron legal gun who left his gun in his car in 5 seconds flat.

Mean easily accessible.  May take a while, but desperate people do things like this all the time.  And info on how to printer/assemble is online and has been for a while.

Mean easily accessible.  May take a while, but desperate people do things like this all the time.  And info on how to printer/assemble is online and has been for a while.

I call BS on all of this, when I was a kid, several friends of mine would sell stolen firearms, most where taken from parents safes (or lack of safes as most of these idiotic gun owners kept them "by the bedside" or "under the bed" and then everyone acted stupid about where it went.  From personal experience most guns on the street that I saw had a legal origin. Before you get me for not citing a source, none of you guys have either.

>

If you think this the totality of the operations amounts to a hill of beans compared to legal guns getting into criminal hands, I have even a bigger bridge...

Ban the legal market and it'll be like herding cats, only worse.

I call BS on all of this, when I was a kid, several friends of mine would sell stolen firearms, most where taken from parents safes (or lack of safes as most of these idiotic gun owners kept them "by the bedside" or "under the bed" and then everyone acted stupid about where it went.  From personal experience most guns on the street that I saw had a legal origin.

Printer guns is legal still in a lot of areas.  And I never mentioned that illegal weapons were more of a problem than legal.  I said people will find a way to get them if they wanted them bad enough.  It is easier/more ways these days of getting weapons

Ban the legal market and it'll be like herding cats, only worse.

Because people like you have voted against registration systems to help keep track of them. Gun owners like you are why many revile us.

Printer guns is legal still in a lot of areas.  And I never mentioned that illegal weapons were more of a problem than legal.  I said people will find a way to get them if they wanted them bad enough.  It is easier/more ways these days of getting weapons

with 99% of printers on the market your either printing a one use zip gun, or still need a source to buy a barrel to finish the firearm. 

• Like 1

They need to ban the buying and selling of handheld weapons, make it illegal for companies to sell them to consumers and you will see crime rates drop.  It will not happen over night but give it a few years, maybe a generation, and you can set the whole country on a better path.  And if you save one life, one single life, it will all be worth it.

They need to ban the buying and selling of handheld weapons, make it illegal for companies to sell them to consumers and you will see crime rates drop.  It will not happen over night but give it a few years, maybe a generation, and you can set the whole country on a better path.  And if you save one life, one single life, it will all be worth it.

Wont work here, not because of the idea in and of itself being crazy, but because the legal gun owners here WILL NOT comply and many have stated their violent intentions for anyone who would enforce such a thing (take them from my cold dead hands) thereby making it impossible. Its kind of a sad situation really.