The first smartphone: what ecosystem chose?

I have asked to her what prefer.

Size: maximum 5 inch

OS: no problem with Android, iOS and Windows Phone (can be used without problem because I discovered that the app that her need exist!)

Photo section: she have very high requirement

Music section: she love music and she want a very high solution

Thanks!

Then the Nokia Lumia is the way to go, my wife's iphone 4, or any of my androids cannot compete with my nokia n8, and at the time I tested one in the store, the n8 pictures looked lame compared to the lumia 1020
  • Like 1

you honestly can't go wrong with an iPhone. Nothing is perfect but it has a great echo system, and the apps are in general of high quality. The latest iPhone, the iPhone 6 is really a great device. It makes great photos too. It wil remain a personal choice but I prefer it over a fragmented Android OS.

• Like 1

I have asked to her what prefer.

Size: maximum 5 inch

OS: no problem with Android, iOS and Windows Phone (can be used without problem because I discovered that the app that her need exist!)

Photo section: she have very high requirement

Music section: she love music and she want a very high solution

Thanks!

In that case, I'd stick with the suggestion of a Lumia 930. But honestly I would see what happens next week with the Windows 10 announcements to see if you're interested in the direction things are going.

Rule out any Android devices unless you want to run tech support for rooting her device for future updates or she likes to tinker with her phone a lot.

If you want something that just works without a bunch of lag or preinstalled forced junk and has good manufacturer support, get the WP or alternatively an iPhone.

Android: -----> Pro: large amount of phone where we can chose, and large amount of app

Cons:  fragmentation

iOS-------> Pro: very large amount of high quality app

Cons: too expensive overpriced 

Windows Phone:  Pro: very stable platform

Cons: there less App and the overall quality is not so good

• Like 1

Android: -----> Pro: large amount of phone where we can chose, and large amount of app

Cons:  fragmentation

iOS-------> Pro: very large amount of high quality app

Cons: too expensive overpriced 

Windows Phone:  Pro: very stable platform

Cons: there less App and the overall quality is not so good

Ignore what Enron says with regards to Android, just take her to a shop and let her chose is the best choice. :)

• Like 2

If fantastic pictures is the most important requirement, other than the specific application, then there's always the Lumia 1020. You can get them off of ebay for a fair price but you may need to install the dev preview app to get the latest and greatest updates. I did that for my wife and she loves it. Even went for the camera grip which helps a lot with a desktop tripod.

I just wouldn't suggest an Android. They are not good phones.

Says you?   :rolleyes:

I absolutely love the customization available.  You software can be customized the way you want. 

And, as for hardware, the andoid has some of the best phones currently available, and, unlike ios, and wp - there is a CHOICE.

sure, some don't like choice and customization..    but to say "android phones are not good" is just straight up incorrect and fanboyish of you. millions of people would disagree.

current top of the line phones do not lack and run smooth as butter, even without any customization. 

sure WP might run better of a cheap phone, just the OP is not looking for a cheap phone, is he.  he is looking for top of the range.

• Like 2

Only a question, (I never used an Android), if her want to use the Play Store she need a Gmail address or she can use her work email to register to Play Store?

P.S: I ask only because I use windows phone and I never bought an android tablet or smartphone

Only a question, (I never used an Android), if her want to use the Play Store she need a Gmail address or she can use her work email to register to Play Store?

P.S: I ask only because I use windows phone and I never bought an android tablet or smartphone

Yes you will need a google account  and this will be used to setup the phone where your contacts can be backed up to it and for the play store, but you don't actually have to use it as an email address.

You can still use your choice of email with regards to collecting and sending emails.

• Like 1

People can insist as much as they like but there is no android or iPhone that can take as nice photos as a Lumia. This is simply due to the optics used and some very clever algorithms - not to mention taking photos in the dark.

Am I the only person not impressed with this sample?

Please note, I'm only speaking for myself, I don't have a google account set up, and used my hotmail account, I get the nag screen OCCASIONALLY asking me to set one up when I go into play store but I ignore it, all my apps rune fine.

I also try to find phones with sd card slots as everything I prefer, music and videos are stored there just something to consider if this is important to you both

I show her some models on Amazon and she is confused, she want that I will buy the phone for her  :woot:  :woot:  :s  :s  :s

This is a very hard decision!!!  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

What do you think about Galaxy S5?

I show her some models on Amazon and she is confused, she want that I will buy the phone for her  :woot:  :woot:  :s  :s  :s

This is a very hard decision!!!  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

What do you think about Galaxy S5?

good:     easy cheap covers to replace.    easy to replace and upgrade battery.

bad:  looks very average.   

it is a workhorse.   not winning any design awards, it wins on adoption rates, due to samsung aggressive advertising.   and due to that, a lot of spare parts are available.

if she likes the looks,  it is a good phone.    personally, i prefer Sony, HTC, and Motorola phones.    But I loved my S3, and my friends had S4, which he loves.

so, if you don't care about looks, it is a good phone.

ps. i still think she would be more happy with sony z3 compact or moto x.     just because they are more interesting, unique phones.   but i have NO IDEA what she likes... so there.

iphone is still a great choice.   i switched away and i never claim to be a fanboy of iphone or android.

i currently use android, but if i had the money to waste (on hardware and on apps too),  i am sure i would be very happy with iphone.

however, i don't like wasting money, and i feel there are better deals with android, and i also don't like itunes!  so the openness of android appeals to me.

being able to plug into anyones computer and throw the media files and docs on my phone is great.   i could never do it on iphone, without 3rd party apps.

if it was not for itunes.. i would have stayed with apple.

iPhone 6 or 6 Plus if you want the very best camera on a smartphone.

Note 4, LG G3, S5 also have excellent cameras.

I wouldn't worry about Android app support in the future. Any high end phone will be supported by app developers for a long time to come. Fragmentation is just as bad in the Windows Phone world with all the crap going on with what phones on what networks get what updates, etc. It has taken forever for 8.1 to get on devices, some only a year old still haven't got it. The Denim update has taken forever for phones to get, etc. Very frustrating when you expect better support.

Ok... decided... I will go with a iPhone 6.  :)

She use an Apple iMac and i think that she will be happy to have all integration.

Thanks! I think she will be happy

funny how you were worried...

iphone was the simplest option available. most expensive too.  but still simplest. and almost garanteed to make her happy.

its a god damn iphone, after all ;)