Useful to upgrade within Core i7 9xx series?

I set the BLCK to 160 and the CPU ration on 20, the rest all default values.

I performed an IntelBurnTest and no problems here  :).

Looks kinda good @ 3.2GHz 

I set the BLCK to 160 and the CPU ration on 20, the rest all default values.

I performed an IntelBurnTest and no problems here  :).

Looks kinda good @ 3.2GHz 

:D So you didn't even add any voltage? If you didn't.. you can take that chip maybe even to 4.0Ghz with just a few bumps of voltage for your DRAM and vcore

fusi0n, on 23 Jan 2015 - 17:01, said:

:D So you didn't even add any voltage? If you didn't.. you can take that chip maybe even to 4.0Ghz with just a few bumps of voltage for your DRAM and vcore

I guess/think I'm fine with this speed. At least for now :rolleyes:

I think when I was overclocking mine, I hit a brick wall at 3.4GHz where I needed to up the vcore considerably in order to get stability. At first I only had a single slim 240 radiator internally mounted in a LL v351 case and it couldn't keep up with my 4GHz overclock without the water temp getting too hot and the CPU temp getting in a runaway heat condition until it hit the thermal limit. It took about 2 hours of gaming to do so, and then I upgraded to a Fractal Design Midi R2 with (2) Magicool Extreme 240 radiators. Now the water temps never go above 40C. I have inlet and outlet nozzle temperature probes off the CPU barbs to keep an eye on it.

I'm going to have to read up on overclocking the Xeon chips as I'm in the market for a new PC.  Thanks for the heads up y'all.   

I'm going to have to read up on overclocking the Xeon chips as I'm in the market for a new PC.  Thanks for the heads up y'all.   

post-61856-0-02192700-1422117081.png

post-61856-0-11420000-1422117189.jpg

post-61856-0-58709400-1422117206.jpg

post-61856-0-41244000-1422117093.png

...with the default multiplier of 21x (instead of 20) now I'm on 3360 MHz :D

Rest of BIOS default values, running stable for/during the weekend and today :)

Awesome man! Keep it up!! Those i7s OC really well!

My upgrade is in the signature, the former pc was Core i7 930 (Socket 1366) so I had to change motherboard and ram, the former Gfx card was ATI Radeon HD 6970. I wanted a new Gfx card and because I already had a 480GB SSD and wanted 1GB I decided to buy a second 480GB (exact same brand as first) and set it to Raid 0 to get double space and double the speed of a single SSD. The old pc has missing parts to run it now, so eventually I will buy the parts needed to make it a server.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a i7 950 on a P6T Deluxe v2 and hadn't realised that it could take Xeon's. So I just threw a 95w X5675 into it (the same clock speed as the 950) and it's purring along nicely with 6 HT'd cores. I'm not an over clocker, so I don't mind about the multiplier limitations of the x5675 vs. x5660 - if anything I wanted to go from 130w to 95w to try and run quieter and cooler. Regardless, I wanted to say thanks to the people in this thread for sharing the knowledge!

• Like 2

I had a i7 950 on a P6T Deluxe v2 and hadn't realised that it could take Xeon's. So I just threw a 95w X5675 into it (the same clock speed as the 950) and it's purring along nicely with 6 HT'd cores. I'm not an over clocker, so I don't mind about the multiplier limitations of the x5675 vs. x5660 - if anything I wanted to go from 130w to 95w to try and run quieter and cooler. Regardless, I wanted to say thanks to the people in this thread for sharing the knowledge!

Welcome to the Xeon club :D It runs SOOOO much cooler than my i7 950.. more than half! I had this baby at 5.3Ghz for a while.. Went back down to 4.2Ghz for everyday use..

Thanks, glad to be here.

5.3Ghz! Very cool! (or should that be hot?).

I'm using just re-fanned Noctua air cooling and frankly with the extra horse power from the extra cores I don't currently think that I need to consider overclocking. I don't really game much and I spend my life in VM's which is where I need the performance. Most of my issues are due to disk IO well before the CPU starts getting hot.

I have all the fans in the system on Low Noise Adapters and the BIOS has the fans in silent mode. HWMon has me at 33-35 degrees in a spread across the 6 cores at the moment... and I can live with that :)

Thanks again for the tips.