Fake? PS4 Slim images

Could just be 3d renders of a concept for the PS4 Slim to get approval to be built. 

I said this on GAF, it's it's one main reason other than the tiny size I think it's fake

Slot loading on the side is strange. I mean you could turn it to face outwards, but by design it makes little sense. People do put electronics in fairly tight spaces at times, and having the disc drive on the side could be a problem.

Of course the really small size offsets this a bit, but sometimes when you make something smaller, people migrate it to smaller spaces.

Sure there's a chance it's one of many renders/ideas, but whatever it is if genuinely created by Sony I wouldn't put the drive on the side.

Standing vertically then it's an okay idea, loading your discs from the top at this point.

I don't see it as real. The one visually appealing (and identifiable) attribute of the console (the light in the crease) would likely be preserved in some way. I really hope they don't get rid of that cause as of now I'd rather have a PS4 sitting out to be seen than my X1 and that is really the reason why. It just looks new. Subtle things like that shouldn't get removed. For example, the 360 slim console had the same general shape and I'm glad it did. It was what defined it.

I said this on GAF, it's it's one main reason other than the tiny size I think it's fake

Sure there's a chance it's one of many renders/ideas, but whatever it is if genuinely created by Sony I wouldn't put the drive on the side.

Standing vertically then it's an okay idea, loading your discs from the top at this point.

People have laptops with disc slot loading on the side that do not complain about that

New PS4 with side slot, you/they complain about it.. 

:rolleyes:

Even you build something for everyone, they will complain to you about your product. 

People have laptops with disc slot loading on the side that do not complain about that

Even you build something for everyone, they will complain to you about your product. 

People don't keep their laptops static in a home theater, with limited space where discs need to eject regularly. That's the difference :p

You don't normally put a laptop in an enclosure.  Think about putting a side loading disc on a PC?  You don't see it.  If I put this where I have all my media center hardware in my family room I wouldn't have access to the drive.

compared to xbox one it is slim! Im still amazed how big the xbox one is. While i do enjoy my xbox one, can you get rid of the dam power pack.

People don't keep their laptops static in a home theater, with limited space where discs need to eject regularly. That's the difference :p

You don't normally put a laptop in an enclosure.  Think about putting a side loading disc on a PC?  You don't see it.  If I put this where I have all my media center hardware in my family room I wouldn't have access to the drive.

What if the final version of PS4 comes out with side load, what will you do?  Complaining to them?

It's company decision when they come up to the model design.

Confirmed as fake by people on GAF seeing dimension inconsistencies between photos, and also Kotaku/Polygon/Joystiq staff were all contacted over past week asking for them to post these images.

compared to xbox one it is slim! Im still amazed how big the xbox one is. While i do enjoy my xbox one, can you get rid of the dam power pack.

I agree, the Xbox One is a beast (externally). Mine sits across from my DVR in the entertainment center, and it dwarfs everything but my receiver.

considering how much space the cooling takes on the current model and considering how minimized it is and it can't really be made smaller I'm not seeing this happening. 

I wish it was bigger, I wish all A/V and entertainment devices where standard 19" rack/stack size. 

• Like 2

Better design, I don't like the power and eject button on the current PS4, it's pretty small and it took me a while to find it :p

Too bad this is fake, maybe Sony will take note of this concept.

Just from the current thermal foot print, that size isn't going to happen any time soon and certainly not until we surpass the latest 14nm fabrication process with decent yields from 10nm etc. You're looking at a good many years in other applications also.

Too soon for slim :/

Not really.  I would bet money that Sony will release a "slim" PS4 sometime this year.  With MS now winning the large U.S. market, largely due to the cheaper $350 price point there is pressure on Sony to lower their price as well.  Sony can't afford to lose money on console sales anymore as they're struggling overall as a company so they need to cut the cost of the hardware to lower the price.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One use CPU/GPUs made on the 28nm process.  Switching to a 20nm process will make it smaller (more chips per wafer), cooler (smaller cooling system needed), and lower power (smaller power supply needed), which will all lead to lower costs as well as a smaller size.  Similarly the GDDR5 currently in the system is also 28nm and the PS4 uses 16 4Gb (512MB) chips to get it's 8GB of RAM.  Samsung has recently announced they're now making 8Gb (1GB) 20nm chips so Sony could replace the 16 28nm chips on the launch console with 8 20nm chips on a "slim" model.  Again this would be cheaper, cooler, and require less power.

The PS4 is already really small. I see no need for a "slim" model.

It's not about size.  They're called "slim" models because they happen to be smaller and that's all the average consumer sees.  You can't tell by looking at a console if it has 8 or 16 memory chips or if the CPU is 28nm or 20nm.  The lower size just happens naturally because the components get smaller (smaller CPU/GPU, smaller and/or less RAM chips, smaller power supply required, less cooling required).  There IS a building need to lower the price though thus cut costs to maintain a profit since the Xbox One is now selling at $50 cheaper than the PS4 and as a result has started outselling the PS4 in the large U.S. market.

The specific pictures are almost certainly fake though and I agree it would be a bad idea to put the drive and buttons on the side of a console that's supposed to sit on a shelf in an entertainment center.

Not really.  I would bet money that Sony will release a "slim" PS4 sometime this year.  With MS now winning the large U.S. market, largely due to the cheaper $350 price point there is pressure on Sony to lower their price as well.  Sony can't afford to lose money on console sales anymore as they're struggling overall as a company so they need to cut the cost of the hardware to lower the price.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One use CPU/GPUs made on the 28nm process.  Switching to a 20nm process will make it smaller (more chips per wafer), cooler (smaller cooling system needed), and lower power (smaller power supply needed), which will all lead to lower costs as well as a smaller size.  Similarly the GDDR5 currently in the system is also 28nm and the PS4 uses 16 4Gb (512MB) chips to get it's 8GB of RAM.  Samsung has recently announced they're now making 8Gb (1GB) 20nm chips so Sony could replace the 16 28nm chips on the launch console with 8 20nm chips on a "slim" model.  Again this would be cheaper, cooler, and require less power.

It's not about size.  They're called "slim" models because they happen to be smaller and that's all the average consumer sees.  You can't tell by looking at a console if it has 8 or 16 memory chips or if the CPU is 28nm or 20nm.  The lower size just happens naturally because the components get smaller (smaller CPU/GPU, smaller and/or less RAM chips, smaller power supply required, less cooling required).  There IS a building need to lower the price though thus cut costs to maintain a profit since the Xbox One is now selling at $50 cheaper than the PS4 and as a result has started outselling the PS4 in the large U.S. market.

The specific pictures are almost certainly fake though and I agree it would be a bad idea to put the drive and buttons on the side of a console that's supposed to sit on a shelf in an entertainment center.

I see more noise related complaints for PS4 than XB1 (in general, on various forums), they can also reduce the component size but keep the enclosure to reign in noise levels.

Sony should work on noise levels and Microsoft work on packing the damn power brick inside by using the benefits of reduced thermal envelope. I bet Microsoft still stubbornly keeps the brick outside though (and non-universal for whatever stupid reason).

The PS4 is undoubtedly noisier than the XB1 as standard. Individual experience may vary.

It's the trade off to having more heat internally and cooling still being supplied by a fan.

Of course in the UK where it's always freezing room teperature is low. If you live somewhere warm the ambient temperature is only going to make your console work harder.

That's why we shouldn't be in a rush to go even smaller. I don't doubt there will be a slim model, but it's already slim given that first revisions of consoles are usually pretty bulky. Power supplies have come on in recent years so I do think one goal all the manufacturers should aim for is making them internal.

it also has a noisier fan design, sure you can make it "smaller" with that type of fan by making it massive in width and depth but really thin, but that fan type is otherwise horrible for noise for the amount of air moved.

I see more noise related complaints for PS4 than XB1 (in general, on various forums), they can also reduce the component size but keep the enclosure to reign in noise levels.

Sony should work on noise levels and Microsoft work on packing the damn power brick inside by using the benefits of reduced thermal envelope. I bet Microsoft still stubbornly keeps the brick outside though (and non-universal for whatever stupid reason).

While the PS4 is no doubt noisier than the Xbox One I wouldn't say they have a large noise problem.  Sure it's louder if you set them side by side and compare but it's not distractingly loud to the point of costing them any significant amount of sales.  Furthermore going from 28nm to 20nm is going to make the chips run MUCH cooler.  They can probably shrink the cooling system and still have it run cooler/quieter than the 28nm chips with the larger cooling system.