Dad Posts Meddling Note Sent Home by Teacher over Packed Lunch

A fed-up Missouri father posted a photo of the letter he received from his daughter's substitute teacher who criticized the girl's lunch.

One problem: the teacher didn't see her whole lunch.

Dr. Justin Puckett was asked to sign a note sent home with his daughter Alia after the teacher saw her eating marshmallows and chocolate at lunch earlier this week.

He refused to do so, and posted it online instead, saying that it was just the latest in what he sees as a growing trend of overreaching by authorities.

"I think that this was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me," Puckett told ABC News.

The substitute teacher wrote in the note sent home on Tuesday that a cafeteria employee said that her lunch consisted of four chocolate bars, a bag of marshmallows, Ritz crackers and a pickle.

"Please see that she packs a proper lunch tomorrow," the teacher wrote. An attempt to reach the teacher for comment wasn't immediately successful.

Puckett told ABC News that, since the note was addressed to "Dr. and Mrs. Puckett," it was clear that the teacher knew he was a physician which he said "just adds to the irony of it all."

What the cafeteria worker and the substitute missed, however, was that the 8-year-old also had four pieces of ham and a low fat string cheese rather than a sandwich, since "we don't eat a lot of bread," said Puckett, who is double board certified in osteopathic family medicine and obesity medicine.

"We leave it up to her and she looks at the school menu and she packs her own lunch and she's a very independent second grader," he told ABC News.

"Sure, I'd liked her to pack a few more veggies and maybe a piece of fruit, but we compromise on pickles occasionally," he wrote in his original Facebook post.

Kirksville, Missouri, school superintendent Damon Kizzire has apologized for the incident and said that the way it's "being blown out of proportion is way out of line with how it was intended. It was all meant with the best of intentions."

Source

So the complete lunch was:

Four pieces of ham

Low fat string cheese

Four chocolate bars

Bag of marshmallows

Ritz crackers

Pickle

How big were these chocolate bars?

Who the hell needs marshmallows, alone, for any occasion? And chocolate bars - plural? What does he think he's setting his kid up for? Nothing but failure as far as food health goes and likely diabetes. What an idiot for not getting the point.

He refused to do so, and posted it online instead, saying that it was just the latest in what he sees as a growing trend of overreaching by authorities.

While it may be possible that the substitute teacher is seizing upon an opportunity to unleash a small power trip, I would think it more likely that they simply care about the child's health and any impact of poor nutrition in respect to the ability to concentrate and learn. Which ever one it is doesn't really matter though, because either way this problem is getting highlighted, and the real problem is the poor parenting that is allowing this child to eat so unhealthily.

Puckett told ABC News that, since the note was addressed to "Dr. and Mrs. Puckett," it was clear that the teacher knew he was a physician which he said "just adds to the irony of it all."

What? Use of the term doctor isn't limited to physicians, and...

said Puckett, who is double board certified in osteopathic family medicine and obesity medicine.

So what, you can be the most educated and certified person in the world in the subject of healthy eating, but it doesn't mean squat as to whether or not you are doing your job as a parent and ensuring they actually eat healthily, or even whether or not you actually care about the health of your child.

What the cafeteria worker and the substitute missed, however, was that the 8-year-old also had four pieces of ham and a low fat string cheese rather than a sandwich, since "we don't eat a lot of bread," said Puckett, who is double board certified in osteopathic family medicine and obesity medicine.

Wow, what a difference :rolleyes: where is the fruit and veg? What about any negative impact from all that junk food? The Dr. may very well know a great deal more about nutrition than I, but where is his justification that there is no need for concern over what she is eating? The statement that the school employees missed the supposed fact that she also ate some ham and string cheese is just ludicrous. I do understand that it may sometimes be difficult to get children to eat healthy food, but he doesn't state that as being a problem (at least in the quoted text, I can't be bothered to go look elsewhere), then...

"We leave it up to her and she looks at the school menu and she packs her own lunch and she's a very independent second grader," he told ABC News.

Great idea! So either:

A) you've given up trying to get her to eat healthily

B) or, you just don't give a ######

C) or, perhaps she is only eating unhealthily during school meals, and healthily otherwise, and you're being an idiot here in jumping to "overreaching authorities" instead of understanding that the teacher & cafeteria worker are only seeing unhealthy food and are rightfully concerned, in which case, explain the damn situation to reassure them.

"Sure, I'd liked her to pack a few more veggies and maybe a piece of fruit, but we compromise on pickles occasionally," he wrote in his original Facebook post.

A few pickles, occasionally... :/

Yes let your child make all her decisions because kids are known for their rationality and health when it comes to food choices.  Nope, you're the parent, act like it.  Your kids aren't going to choose what's best for themselves. 

Who the hell needs marshmallows, alone, for any occasion? And chocolate bars - plural? What does he think he's setting his kid up for? Nothing but failure as far as food health goes and likely diabetes. What an idiot for not getting the point.

Smores!

It's ONE lunch and you all are calling him a bad parent?  Get real.  You have NO idea what she normally eats, so I don't see how any of you have much right to say anything, really.  You don't "know" how big the chocolate bars were.  Could have been the mini ones.  She could eat her veggies and fruit in evening and breakfast, so he gives her some leeway for lunch.  As far as not eating bread, that's what is being blamed for a lot of diabetes and such, because kids eat too much bread, so if he's conscious of that, then  he is probably aware of what she's eating.

Had any of the so called adults done their jobs and TALKED to the girl would it have been any different? Likely not, she still didn't have a Michelle Obama approved crap lunch, but at least they would look slightly less toolish and uptight 

If the child is in good shape, who cares, really? Now if the child is overweight or having issues (Due to poor nutrition) then take a look at her lunch.

Ham and cheese as well? Golly.  :rolleyes:

Or he could have a PhD in ancient tribal music of Somalian tribes. "Dr" doesn't mean medical doctor...

And I don't understand why the U.S. has two separate medical systems (MD and DO). For all intents and purposes the DO appears to be an inferior MD. This is wildly off topic though.

It's ONE lunch and you all are calling him a bad parent?  Get real.  You have NO idea what she normally eats, so I don't see how any of you have much right to say anything, really.  You don't "know" how big the chocolate bars were.  Could have been the mini ones.  She could eat her veggies and fruit in evening and breakfast, so he gives her some leeway for lunch.  As far as not eating bread, that's what is being blamed for a lot of diabetes and such, because kids eat too much bread, so if he's conscious of that, then  he is probably aware of what she's eating.

A right to say anything? Of course we have a right to say something, we have a right to free speech! You mean, it is a ridiculous, foolish, unintelligent and possibly even dangerous thing to make a snap judgement based on little knowledge or fact of a given situation, or with only one side of an argument, and I am supportive of such a stance, except in this case you firstly accuse all of us of doing so here, when I clearly and deliberately left open such possibilities as you describe, and secondly you ignore the lack of any decent explanation and justification from the father (presuming there isn't one separate from the text quoted here) who instead only tries to point to the supposed additional consumption of some ham and string cheese, and decides to go off on one about government overreach, which was an idiotic way to approach this situation, whether or not she is getting nutritious food at other times.

I threw open the possibility that he is a bad father, but I did not actually state that I think that he is. He may be, or he be looking after her well, but doing a very poor job at communicating this to the school staff.

Had any of the so called adults done their jobs and TALKED to the girl would it have been any different? Likely not, she still didn't have a Michelle Obama approved crap lunch, but at least they would look slightly less toolish and uptight

I really don't follow...

A the good old independent/free upbringing of kids, it was a horrible idea  when they came up with it in the 70's, still in the 80's, 90's, 00's and still now in the 10's. but lets not pretend this upbringing is about the kids, it's all about parents who want to have kids, they just don't want to "have" them and have to raise them.

doesn't matter how mini they are, they're not part of a lunch, just as the balls of pure sugar into, aka marshmallows. and he quite clearly states this plus/minus a pickle is her regular lunch.

A right to say anything? Of course we have a right to say something, we have a right to free speech! You mean, it is a ridiculous, foolish, unintelligent and possibly even dangerous thing to make a snap judgement based on little knowledge or fact of a given situation, or with only one side of an argument, and I am supportive of such a stance, except in this case you firstly accuse all of us of doing so here, when I clearly and deliberately left open such possibilities as you describe, and secondly you ignore the lack of any decent explanation and justification from the father (presuming there isn't one separate from the text quoted here) who instead only tries to point to the supposed additional consumption of some ham and string cheese, and decides to go off on one about government overreach, which was an idiotic way to approach this situation, whether or not she is getting nutritious food at other times.

I threw open the possibility that he is a bad father, but I did not actually state that I think that he is. He may be, or he be looking after her well, but doing a very poor job at communicating this to the school staff.

Actually you did say "the real problem is the poor parenting that is allowing this child to eat so unhealthily."  The problem is that there are a LOT of presumptions.  How is government overreach and idiotic way to approach it when everyone is so concerned about privacy and government oversight?  You don't know what he communicated to school.

A the good old independent/free upbringing of kids, it was a horrible idea when they came up with it in the 70's, still in the 80's, 90's, 00's and still now in the 10's. but lets not pretend this upbringing is about the kids, it's all about parents who want to have kids, they just don't want to "have" them and have to raise them.

doesn't matter how mini they are, they're not part of a lunch, just as the balls of pure sugar into, aka marshmallows. and he quite clearly states this plus/minus a pickle is her regular lunch.

Actually I have known several kids they were VERY well adjusted in second grade and could easily decide what they wanted for lunch and their parents were VERY involved as well. Their parents were both administrators in education and the grandparents were superintendents at several schools as well. That is far from the norm, but you're making an assumption about a person you've never met and a child you've never met. And it does matter how "mini" they are. The difference is that 4 mini bars barely equals half a regular chocolate bar. He also stated she occasionally had a pickle. Occasionally/=regularly.

Plus she also only at one piece of chocolate and shared the rest.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/parents-receive-scathing-letter-criticizing-childs-lunch-28438325

The last school I worked at had a LOT of fried foods until a couple of years ago. Starches and such as well. I wouldn't say it was much better.

Let people eat what they want! It's not your body so why does it bother you? Seriously sick of the veggie-tards shoving their agenda down everyone's throats.

You eat what's right for YOU not what some silly person on TV tells you to eat.

#yuppiescum #BRAINDEAD

I want everyone to eat nothing but BACON and eggs! am I gonna shove it down everyone's throat? no.

Actually you did say "the real problem is the poor parenting that is allowing this child to eat so unhealthily."  The problem is that there are a LOT of presumptions.  How is government overreach and idiotic way to approach it when everyone is so concerned about privacy and government oversight?  You don't know what he communicated to school.

Oh so I did, fair point. I forgot that I went back and edited that in (having remembered I wanted to express something along those lines there after posting). My use of "poor parenting" in that sentence of mine was a poor choice of words, rather going against how I was trying to approach things. I somewhat blame the late hour in which I wrote it, in fact just scratch the whole latter half of that sentence entirely :pinch:

While I admit that I do not know factually the exact details of what communication took place with the school here, the article strongly suggests that upon receiving the note, in respect to it asking him to sign it (which I assume is simply to prove he received and read it, not to indicate acceptance of what it asks of him), he "refused to do so, and posted it online instead, saying that it was just the latest in what he sees as a growing trend of overreaching by authorities". From that, I think it's reasonable to infer (though of course not take as absolute fact) that instead of talking to them he went straight to posting it online and jumping to overreach. I feel that an individual approaching the situation sensibly and rationally would have considered that she probably just admirably cares about the child's health, and simply spoken to her to explain things (pointing out an inaccurate description of the meal contents, mentioning that it can be difficult to get his daughter to accept something more healthy, and that it is not representative of what she eats all the time) and reassure her that he cares about his daughter's health and is making at least a reasonable effort towards getting her to eat nutritious meals. He does admit in the video that he took it rather personally, too personally in my opinion.

I am very much concerned about government overreach and privacy myself, but in this instance I think that it was a misjudgement of him to bring that up (though the media may be overblowing that aspect). However, perhaps I am missing a lot of local/US context in the area of 'overreaching school authorities'.

Plus she also only at one piece of chocolate and shared the rest.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/parents-receive-scathing-letter-criticizing-childs-lunch-28438325

That video of him does for me help relieve concerns that he might not care about her nutritional health.

He also describes the components of the meal a little differently to the article, talking of multiple pickles, which they sometimes use as a substitute for other veg/fruit (if I remember what he said correctly, and which might suggest that normally she has other fruit/veg and it's only occasionally that this is substituted for pickes), there were four (was it) pieces of ham, and as for the chocolate, there were four pieces (not bars as the teacher stated in the letter), of which she only ate one. That does significantly change the picture somewhat of how unhealthy it was, if we believe him. It is worth noting that it appears that the substitute teacher may not have actually seen the lunch directly, but was told about it by cafeteria staff, so there may have been a miscommunication or something, resulting in the chocolate being described as "bars" in the note.

Furthermore he does in the video actually indicate that it can be difficult to get her to accept a more healthy meal, an understandably problem, but one he needed to express to put to us that he does try, and also that this is not what she eats all the time - also an important point for him to put across.

I just find this thread funny:

Too many folks making asinine assumptions based off of one meal.  Almost sad that others, without first hand knowledge, judges someone else so negatively.

Let people eat what they want! It's not your body so why does it bother you? Seriously sick of the veggie-tards shoving their agenda down everyone's throats.

I don't think letting the kids eat what they want is the way to go.

Cause they will all eat candies only and our society will be in trouble.

First, there's nothing wrong with the ham (protein) and string cheese (dairy, which includes a good dose of calcium.) Leaving out the bread, especially if it's white bread, is fine. So far, so good.

The problem I see is allowing 2 sugary snacks; marshmallows and 4 chocolate bars. Way too much.

Marshmallows are only about 25 calories each. Chocolate bars can be the full bars (unlikely) or miniatures (much more likely.) Miniatures are about 40 calories each.

As a 'dessert' 2 pieces of either is under 100 calories, which IMO is not a disaster. Pull the plug on the game system after school & take them out for a bike ride.

Would a piece of fruit have been hetter? Maybe, maybe not. Vitamin and fiber wise sure, but people get all bent out of shape over high fructose corn syrup (55% fructose) when fruits and fruit juices can have a big slug of fructose (apple juice up to 70%.)

Too many folks making asinine assumptions based off of one meal.  Almost sad that others, without first hand knowledge, judges someone else so negatively.

The meal doesn't tell us a lot. But the fact that he makes a big deal over a potentially deserved criticize and go online to complain about it instead of meeting the teacher face to face tell us a lot more about him.

• Like 1

The meal doesn't tell us a lot. But the fact that he makes a big deal over a well deserved criticize and go online to complain about it instead of meeting the teacher face to face tell us a lot more about him.

or it could tell you that he doesn't agree with with how schools are trying to replace parenting of the parents.

or it could tell you that he doesn't agree with with how schools are trying to replace parenting of the parents.

Still going online about it is imo immature. If he has a problem with the teacher attitude he can ask to meet the school director and/or teacher and talk about it.

• Like 2

Still going online about it is imo immature. If he has a problem with the teacher attitude he can ask to meet the school director and/or teacher and talk about it.

Welcome to 21st century social media. We're almost all guilty to some degree.

Still doesn't affect his role as a father or the well being of his daughter (which is what really matters at the end of the day).

• Like 2