Comcast Cable Modem

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

techbeck

Currently my parents are paying $13 a month to rent and use a cable modem from Comcast.  If they buy their own, there will be no fee.  They  currently have a Netgear CG3000DCR with Linksys wirelss router which is causing them problems.  Problem is with the cable modem itself.  Slow/lost connections all the time and I have seen a lot of issues with that Netgear modem posted online. Comcast will replace it (2nd time in a year) but I recommended them buying their own to save of the charge.

Comcast sent my mom the following link of supported modems.  And recommendations?

EDIT:  Actually, its a more limited list.  See link...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByIpb-YSESOzMEZPZGVCNGZ0MGM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

14 answers to this question

techbeck

I would go with the motorola SB6141

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI

$90 /13 = 7 months they start making money on the deal.

Then get whatever wireless router you want..

Thanks.  Their linksys wireless router is fine and not the issue. Same issue with the modem if I plug a cable directly from the PC to the modem.  If I would have known comcast was charging them, would have recommended them getting their own a while ago.  Didnt click until they started having issues and I was looking at the Netgear and all the problems.

Jeston

I got a SurfBoard 6120 a few years ago when I was on Comcast. Worked great, much better than the POS they were charging me for. 3 years later and it's still going strong, though not on Comcast anymore. The more up to date 6141 Budman suggested will no doubt serve you well and would be the modem I would get if I was in the market for a new one.

+BudMan

Yeah I am still using my SB6120, has paid for itself multiple times over, and comcast was only trying to charge me $5 a month.

If mine would die!!  I would go with the 6141, but the thing just works and works and works ;)  Its only 4x3 while the 6141 is 8x4..  But I get my speeds I pay for, actually a bit more - so just can not justify new modem even though would rather have 8x4 ;)

If they are charging you $13 x how many users??  They are bringing in some cash just on renting of something that should be free if you ask me.  Its how can we milk this cow for every penny!

techbeck

Yeah I am still using my SB6120, has paid for itself multiple times over, and comcast was only trying to charge me $5 a month.

If mine would die!!  I would go with the 6141, but the thing just works and works and works ;)  Its only 4x3 while the 6141 is 8x4..  But I get my speeds I pay for, actually a bit more - so just can not justify new modem even though would rather have 8x4 ;)

If they are charging you $13 x how many users??  They are bringing in some cash just on renting of something that should be free if you ask me.  Its how can we milk this cow for every penny!

MY mom has her own business so I imagine they charge more for that.  She will be able to expense the cost of the modem so that will be good for her.

I suggested the one you posted as the reviews/info on it looks good. Just been out of the loop for a while and wasnt sure.  Thanks   :)

techbeck

Just hooked up the SB6141.  Worst part of it was being transferred at Comcast several times.  Residential support, then to business, back to residential, punching in phone/account number serveral times.  Idiots.  Finally someone from residential support helped me setup the modem on the business account.  2min hooking everything up, and 30 min on the phone just to give them the mac/sn. 

Anyway, seems to be working better than the netgear so far.  Could just be the placebo effect so we shall see.

Thanks again  :)

PGHammer

I have an old (nearly the same age as the SB6121) ARRIS WBM740A (like the SB-61xx, these are DOCSIS 3 cable modems).  The advantage that SURFboards have had - traditionally - is VERY wide availability compared to all other brands of cable modem - most cable companies that also have broadband services ALSO lease SURFboards - that includes Comcast, of course.  Oddly enough, it was ARRIS that acquired Motorola's Broadband Group - including their cable modems, set-tops, etc.  I've owned two SURFboards myself - the SB-4100 and SB-5120; I switched to leasing the WBM-740A because I was unsure about DOCSIS 3.0 for an average user.

However, teaming a solid D3 cable modem with a dual-band gigabit router that is solid is a decided advantage.  (In my case, the WBM-740A is tag-teamed with a NETGEAR WNDR3700 v4.  Two TVs, two phones, one laptop, one notebook, one tablet and two desktops - not to mention the occasional visiting tablet/phone/notebook or desktop - all can be online at once without a bogdown.  The desktops use wired connections - however, nothing else does.)

+Ely

I used the SB6121 for several years and I loved it, however recently I switched to the Comcast Extreme 105 plan and the SB6121 wasn't cutting it anymore, I could not maintain a stable speed so I switched to the SB6183 and now I'm getting a steady connection of 124MB/s downstream and 24MB/s upstream with minimal latency, couldn't be happier, I did like the looks of the old modem better, hate the white color and also the lights are very bright at night.

Ironman273

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyways...  there's nothing available to buy if you have the Comcast Telephone service with your internet, right?

techbeck

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyways...  there's nothing available to buy if you have the Comcast Telephone service with your internet, right?

Not sure...but you can view a list of supported devices here...

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

AnotherITguy

I agree with Budman, all but the cisco modem/router that Comcast supplies to their customers are utter garbage.

techbeck

Problem with the Netgear I was having was horrible ping times and it the modem would lose connection/timeout.  Funny that the Netgear is 3x the size of the Moto.

neufuse

Yes there is the Arris TM862G is a retail eMTA that Comcast will sell you on amazon in the white box only http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Residential-Gateway-GigaPort-TG862G-CT/dp/B00NR1EHP8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423229822&sr=8-3&keywords=tm862g this is the only approved retail telephone / modem gateway out right now for retail

• Like 1