GNU / Linux February 2015 Dektops

God dam you people... making me want to ###### in my pants... looks dam beautiful... I try to install many of the different distro and I could not get on desktop.... when I boot up the OS it goes to DOS shell instead.... I must be doing something wrong... I'll take some hint if anyone has some... :)

Sounds like your booting off the wrong drive. Look in your boot order. Make sure your system drive is first.

God dam you people... making me want to ###### in my pants... looks dam beautiful... I try to install many of the different distro and I could not get on desktop.... when I boot up the OS it goes to DOS shell instead.... I must be doing something wrong... I'll take some hint if anyone has some... :)

lol I install the distro onto a VirtualBox VM.  The *nix are ISO.

CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-Everything.iso

Fedora-20-x86_64-DVD.iso

ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

DOS was the precursor to Windows, nothing to do with Linux, so you're not at a "DOS shell".

So what are you at? A "busybox" / "initramfs" prompt? An EFI shell prompt? A login prompt? An encryption password prompt? There are several different prompts you could be sat looking at. Tell us what it says on the screen!

Furthermore, is this after installation, or just upon loading the install iso?

If you enabled EFI on the virtual machine, you might find that the install ISO loads fine and installs successfully, but after install, when you try to boot that installation, you end up at an EFI shell prompt. This is normal, it's because the EFI component in virtualbox is incapable of remembering EFI entries added to it when you reload the VM. You need to navigate through the EFI shell to load the target EFI bootloader; then you'll successfully see your bootloader, and things should be okay from there. Instructions can be given for how to do so, but first let's wait for you to confirm that this is the problem...

After the ISO is fully installed.  Then it boot up for the first time.  See nothing more than a "DOS equivalent prompt".  I think I enable the EFI on the VM.  Yeah must be an "EFI shell prompt" then... well I'll format the OS and do all these again... Will let you know...

After the ISO is fully installed.  Then it boot up for the first time.  See nothing more than a "DOS equivalent prompt".  I think I enable the EFI on the VM.  Yeah must be an "EFI shell prompt" then... well I'll format the OS and do all these again... Will let you know...

Yeah it was the EFI.  I thought the EFI is needed for the *nix bootup

Ok. No, EFI is just a relatively new and more powerful/capable firmware component that is replacing the older BIOS firmware technology. You'll find it in modern motherboards. You do not need EFI to use *nix, *nix has been around for a long time and will work fine with the older BIOS technology.

To be clear, the VM is simulating a BIOS environment by default, and enabling EFI in the VM switches it to simulating an EFI environment. When you install an OS, the installation will either install a BIOS bootloader or an EFI bootloader; you cannot simply switch from one to the other after installation without taking additional steps to switch the bootloader and otherwise get things setup to boot properly from the alternate technology. You can choose either BIOS or EFI mode for your VM independantly from what your motherboard is actually using.

Normally, when you install as a host (non-VM) onto a motherboard with EFI, I believe the installation will save in the motherboards EFI configuration an entry pointing to the EFI bootloader it installed. The virtualbox software is currently unable to save this information, so while if you reboot it may work fine (the entry is still held in memory), after shutting down the VM and restarting it, it's lost that info, so it dumps you at an EFI prompt from which you need to point it manually at the EFI bootloader.

You said that you were going to reinstall, without EFI presumably, but here's how to get from the EFI shell prompt to loading your bootloader:

1) Press [enter] (aka [return]) or [esc] to get rid of the countdown timer and get to the actual prompt (if the timer hasn't already expired by the time you've read this).

2) Type in 'exit' (without the quotes) and press [enter], which takes you away from the prompt and to a menu.

3) Using the down arrow key on your keyboard, highlight 'boot maintenance manager' and press [enter].

4) Hightlight 'boot from file'.

5) Now you need to navigate to the EFI bootloader program...

5a) There should be a single entry, probably starting with the text 'no volume label', hit [enter].

5b) You should now see a single '<EFI>' entry, hit [enter].

5c) You should now see three entries, '<.>', '<..>', and '<debian>' (or something representing the dist of Linux you installed, in my case I was using a Debian install ISO). Select the last and hit [enter].

5d) And now you should again see '<.>' and '<..>' alongside 'grubx64.efi', the actuall EFI bootloader program. Select the last item and hit [enter].

It should now be booting your EFI bootloader and eveything should work from here (if not, that's a separate issue).

Just FYI, to properly add a new EFI entry to the EFI config:

1) at the 'boot maintenance manager', select 'boot options', then 'add boot option'.

2) From here you navigate to the file as above and hit [enter] to select it.

3) After selecting it you need to provide a description in a page titled 'modify boot option description':

3a) Hit [enter] against the 'input the description' option.

3b) Type a description (e.g. 'debian') and hit [enter] once you're done.

4) Next select 'commit changed and exit' and hit [enter]

5) Hit [esc] to go back to the main menu.

6) Select 'boot manager' and hit [enter].

7) You should now see your new entry in the list, which you can highlight and then load (by pressing [enter]).

The installer actually creates this entry for you, but virtualbox forgets it when you shutdown the VM. If you add an entry as above, and then shutdown and reload the VM, you'll notice that it's forgotten it again. So don;t bother trying to add an entry, just manually point it at what you want it to load (or use BIOS instead).