Dopamine

40 minutes ago, ViperAFK said:

Settings | Behavior | check Minimize to Notification area and/or Close to notification area

I have those checked, but the program still shows in the taskbar while playing

12 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Strange, I just tried it here and it works as expected (showing system tray icon, not showing in the taskbar)

Hello,

I'm a new Dopamine user and I really like the player.

I have some questions about it though and how it handles album art.

It seems to pick up "folder.jpg" files fine when no album art is embedded in the files (how I like to manage my album art).

When it automatically downloads album art though, what source is it using and where is it storing them? Is it embedding the art into the file?

Also, what does "loving"/"hearting" a track do? How does this differ from giving it a rating? Do any of these properties alter the ID3 tags of the files?

Thank you!

On 1/20/2017 at 0:43 AM, Zagadka said:

Strange. Do you have more details about the steps you're performing while trying to get Dopamine in the tray? Which build are you using?

On 1/21/2017 at 11:42 PM, quaffle said:

Hello,

I'm a new Dopamine user and I really like the player.

I have some questions about it though and how it handles album art.

It seems to pick up "folder.jpg" files fine when no album art is embedded in the files (how I like to manage my album art).

When it automatically downloads album art though, what source is it using and where is it storing them? Is it embedding the art into the file?

Also, what does "loving"/"hearting" a track do? How does this differ from giving it a rating? Do any of these properties alter the ID3 tags of the files?

Thank you!

It's indeed programmed to pick up folder.jpg/png, cover.jpg/png, front.jpg/png when there is no embedded art. I plan to add customization options in the next version (1.3), so you can force it to look for any file name.

Automatic album art download is using Last.fm.

Loving track just marks them as loved. There is currently no way to automatically create playlists based on loved tracks. But version 1.3 will add that. Love is more useful if you use Last.fm. Once you log in to your last.fm account in Dopamine, loving a track sends a "love" request to Last.fm. That track will appear in you last.fm profile as being loved. Love/unlove is not stored into ID3 tags. It is just stored in the Dopamine database.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2017 at 7:30 AM, Nick H. said:

I have a tiny request. Can you set it so that when Dopamine is in focus, the space bar is play/pause?

I had this request a lot. And tried to add it multiple times. I fail each time, because of the search field. Space is an allowed character in the search box, because you can search for multiple terms. It's hard to make a distinction between pressing space for play/pause or for searching. Both conflict with each other.

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

I had this request a lot. And tried to add it multiple times. I fail each time, because of the search field. Space is an allowed character in the search box, because you can search for multiple terms. It's hard to make a distinction between pressing space for play/pause or for searching. Both conflict with each other.

i'm not sure if this would help with implementation but why not disallow pressing space as the 1st character in the search box?

There should be no reason to start with a space when searching so if there's nothing in the search box it could continue to the next possible action and play/pause

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

That's a shame. I love the work that you've done on this, it's truly amazing. I do have moments though where I automatically go to the space bar to stop the music, and I get a tad annoyed that it doesn't pause the track.

You've made this open source now, though? I don't pretend to have the knowledge of you guys, but maybe someone could find a way to make it work and then send you the coding? I don't plan on moving away from this as my default player, but that functionality would be great for me.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

i'm not sure if this would help with implementation but why not disallow pressing space as the 1st character in the search box?

There should be no reason to start with a space when searching so if there's nothing in the search box it could continue to the next possible action and play/pause

But what about when there's a space in between two words?

I know video players like MPC-HC use space to play/pause but do any other music players? I'm not disagreeing by the way as it would be handy some times as a quick way to pause.

3 minutes ago, dakn said:

I know video players like MPC-HC use space to play/pause but do any other music players? I'm not disagreeing by the way as it would be handy some times as a quick way to pause.

I find "space" it useful for video players. For audio players not so much. This is the link to the Dopamine work item: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/142

From my research back then:

• Winamp: doesn't react on space
  • Foobar2000: doesn't react on space
  • MusicBee: space automatically triggers a search
  • Groove: doesn't react on space

It's not the code which is the problem: I can handle code. It's coming up with workable logic which is. I give priority to the search box for now.

1 hour ago, dakn said:

yes my thought is just the 1st character would disallow the space but if there are already characters typed into the search then space would work as intended in the search box

edit: thought on my logic:

if Search = null

Space = Play/Pause

else

Space = Space

on paper it seems possible but what do you think @Raphaël G.?

3 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I find "space" it useful for video players. For audio players not so much. This is the link to the Dopamine work item: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/142

From my research back then:

• Winamp: doesn't react on space
  • Foobar2000: doesn't react on space
  • MusicBee: space automatically triggers a search
  • Groove: doesn't react on space

It's not the code which is the problem: I can handle code. It's coming up with workable logic which is. I give priority to the search box for now.

Yeah I find most video players respond with space, but I have trained my brain to use my media keys on my keyboard which is much better and is supported by pretty much everything...

Other things...

First, the "song now playing" notification that lets you target which corner of the monitor doesn't work on dual monitor displays (to my knowledge)

Cross fading?

And still having the problem with the taskbar. It does minimize to the tray properly (ie, without the entry on the taskbar), but if the app is visably open in any mode, it pops back onto the taskbar.

1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

Other things...

First, the "song now playing" notification that lets you target which corner of the monitor doesn't work on dual monitor displays (to my knowledge)

Cross fading?

And still having the problem with the taskbar. It does minimize to the tray properly (ie, without the entry on the taskbar), but if the app is visably open in any mode, it pops back onto the taskbar.

Ohw, that's a known "issue". When removing the icon also when the window is visible, some breakage occurs. More of a windows limitation (if I remember correctly). I tried that once, but there appears a small window title at the bottom left of the screen when minimizing a second time. A bit like when minimizing in the old windows 3.1 days, like on this mock up. You tell windows not to use the task bar, so windows puts it on the desktop. I didn't find a solution back then and stopped looking.

mockup.png

On 1/24/2017 at 2:28 AM, Zagadka said:

Using 1,3 (871)

I have everything in Settings > Behavior set for enabled

Do you have Dopamine pinned to the taskbar by chance?

On 1/23/2017 at 10:47 PM, Brandon H said:

yes my thought is just the 1st character would disallow the space but if there are already characters typed into the search then space would work as intended in the search box

edit: thought on my logic:

if Search = null

Space = Play/Pause

else

Space = Space

on paper it seems possible but what do you think @Raphaël G.?

OK, I decided to do it that way. That should make everyone happy. Details here: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/142

• Like 1

I've released a new preview. This is the change log:

2017-02-01: Dopamine 1.3 Build 884 (Preview)

- [Added] The keyboard space bar now toggles play and pause when there is no search being performed

- [Changed] 'Cloud' screen was renamed to 'Frequent'

- [Changed] Updated the Spanish translation

- [Changed] Updated the Russian translation

- [Changed] Updated the French translation

- [Fixed] Fixed an occasional crash which happened when automatically scrolling to the playing song

- [Fixed] Mini player windows are buggy in Windows 10 tablet mode

- [Fixed] Playback bug when queuing the same track multiple times by using 'Play next'

- [Fixed] A possible startup crash caused by the tray icon

- [Fixed] A conflict with the search box when changing the volume by pressing - or +

Download here

Your product has greatly progressed since preview build 145, and I very much appreciate your efforts.

I don't know when this problem appeared, but it was present in release build 1.2.862.4 and is in 1.3.884. The issue arises when you encounter a "collection" (i.e., sampler) CD where there are various contributing artists but the album name, artist -- in this case, Chip Davis -- and the embedded cover image is constant in each track/mp3 file. Instead of showing all tracks under one album, in numerical order, they are grouped into 'different' albums by their contributing artist(s). In the particular case (image attached) there are seven 'albums' displayed, each with two tracks (in numerical order), based upon the contributing artist's name. This is obviously a case of sorting based upon album artist vs. contributing artist.

Should there be a "Setting" which controls the order by which folder/album contents are grouped or have I missed a change in the way the ID3 tags should be defined?

Dopamine 1.3.884.jpg

2 hours ago, uninet said:

Your product has greatly progressed since preview build 145, and I very much appreciate your efforts.

I don't know when this problem appeared, but it was present in release build 1.2.862.4 and is in 1.3.884. The issue arises when you encounter a "collection" (i.e., sampler) CD where there are various contributing artists but the album name, artist -- in this case, Chip Davis -- and the embedded cover image is constant in each track/mp3 file. Instead of showing all tracks under one album, in numerical order, they are grouped into 'different' albums by their contributing artist(s). In the particular case (image attached) there are seven 'albums' displayed, each with two tracks (in numerical order), based upon the contributing artist's name. This is obviously a case of sorting based upon album artist vs. contributing artist.

Should there be a "Setting" which controls the order by which folder/album contents are grouped or have I missed a change in the way the ID3 tags should be defined?

Dopamine 1.3.884.jpg

Dopamine ignores the track's folder when grouping by album. Tracks are grouped into albums when tag Album title and album artist is the same. So for compilation albums, make sure to have 1 common album artist, e.g.: "Various artists".

Note: when there is no album artist, Dopamine uses the track artist as album artist. 

More info in the FAQ under Why are some of my songs not grouped in one album?

Just a general note, Avast threw a Win32:Evo-gen error on Dopamine auto updating (it hasn't done this on updates before)

20 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Just a general note, Avast threw a Win32:Evo-gen error on Dopamine auto updating (it hasn't done this on updates before)

Don't take this personally. The following rant is aimed at Avast and other anti virus junk: I stopped caring about anti virus reports. Reasons stated in the Dopamine F.A.Q. It contains a link to an interesting blog post which explains why Anti virus software is a pain for the small developer.

Edit: and indeed, from the Virus-total report, the 2 same crappy engines flag it as suspicious again:

Untitled.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

Hi Raphael, just fyi the FAQ link goes back to the first post in this thread.

Better link here ... FAQ

Thanks! I'm not sure how I did that :rofl:. It's now fixed.