Dopamine

Hey Raphael, is there a way to sync ratings across multiple installs of Dopamine (work laptop, home desktop). ? Both are connected to the same last.fm account but it seems this is one way only (from dopamine to last.fm).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 6:50 PM, jasondefaoite said:

Hey Raphael, is there a way to sync ratings across multiple installs of Dopamine (work laptop, home desktop). ? Both are connected to the same last.fm account but it seems this is one way only (from dopamine to last.fm).

Sorry for the late reply :blush:. No that's currently not possible. The ratings are stored in the database. I could add 2-way love/unlove support for Last.fm though (I don't think Last.fm has rating support, just love/unlove I think, please tell me if I'm wrong).

I've created this issue: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/393

For sync of rating, what would work best? 

- Option 1: export/import functionality?

- Option 2: a file to which ratings are stored, and which can be stored on some synced folder (dropbox,...)?

- Option 3?

• Like 1

Thanks!

Yeah it looks like Last.fm doesn't have rating, just love/unlove. If we could sync that at least that's something.

For the rating, I'd be fine with the ability to export/import :)

• Like 1

Could you just put the database in onedrive and have both instances of Dopamine access it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xenon said:

Could you just put the database in onedrive and have both instances of Dopamine access it?

Actually thinking about it, having the file with the ratings in it in Onedrive would be a better option. 

3 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

Actually thinking about it, having the file with the ratings in it in Onedrive would be a better option. 

except Onedrive is a slow piece of ######...NAS would be better...or a web share.

3 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

No thanks.

Network share or Dopamine's server database so sync the data between user and server. Unless the developer has made deal with the music industries about rating system via online sync/database.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

No thanks.

<snip>Unless the developer has made deal with the music industries about rating system via online sync/database.

Why? The onedrive folder is mirrored on the local drive. All that's needed would be to point Dopamine to the onedrive folder on the local disk. Microsoft would take care of the syncing of that file.

2 hours ago, Ravensky said:

except Onedrive is a slow piece of ######...NAS would be better...or a web share.

Not been my experience. But let's just rule it out coz it doesn't suit you shall we?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jasondefaoite said:

Why? The onedrive folder is mirrored on the local drive. All that's needed would be to point Dopamine to the onedrive folder on the local disk. Microsoft would take care of the syncing of that file.

Not been my experience. But let's just rule it out coz it doesn't suit you shall we?

not at all I use it all the time, but its slow and has issues...  I would recommend a NAS with cloud support is all if you can afford it.

1 minute ago, jasondefaoite said:

Because OneDrive sucks.   As you see why MS broke the promise about OneDrive storage offer.   I got an email that they won't touch my storage limit but they lied and switched my limit to 1TB (or whatever you original offer you signed up before they offered unlimited storage.)

They don't keep their promise these days on their products. If they want customers back, they should keep their promise and they can gain customers fast by offering unlimited storage to OneDrive users and keep that way.  But they can place the upload limit for each day... such as 20GB per day... that will help MS out little.   Remember a guy was uploading a lot that MS couldn't handle it and ended the unlimited offer.  If it was me who work at MS, I can place upload limit instead of killing the unlimited offer.

I like network share and amazon for now.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Because OneDrive sucks.   As you see why MS broke the promise about OneDrive storage offer.   I got an email that they won't touch my storage limit but they lied and switched my limit to 1TB (or whatever you original offer you signed up before they offered unlimited storage.)

They don't keep their promise these days on their products. If they want customers back, they should keep their promise and they can gain customers fast by offering unlimited storage to OneDrive users and keep that way.  But they can place the upload limit for each day... such as 20GB per day... that will help MS out little.   Remember a guy was uploading a lot that MS couldn't handle it and ended the unlimited offer.  If it was me who work at MS, I can place upload limit instead of killing the unlimited offer.

I like network share and amazon for now.

So you are upset over the storage allocation. Fair enough. But that won't impact what I am requesting for Dopamine.

What I replied to you on was this ...

2 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Unless the developer has made deal with the music industries about rating system via online sync/database.

What does this mean?

45 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

not at all I use it all the time, but its slow and has issues...  I would recommend a NAS with cloud support is all if you can afford it.

So I guess the solution is to tell Dopamine which is your folder to "watch" for this file. This could be on your NAS, on any cloud system which mirrors contents to the local drive. You'd be happy, I'd be happy ;)

5 minutes ago, jasondefaoite said:

So I guess the solution is to tell Dopamine which is your folder to "watch" for this file. This could be on your NAS, on any cloud system which mirrors contents to the local drive. You'd be happy, I'd be happy ;)

Sounds like the best solution :)

29 minutes ago, jasondefaoite said:

What does this mean?

That means Raphael makes agreements with the providers such as last.fm, iHeartRadio, etc  that they all use a database for rating system which the rating data is stored on the server instead of client side.

Unless if you are all prefer network share with Dopamine users for rating, then they can use network database instead of the worldwide rating system.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

That means Raphael makes agreements with the providers such as last.fm, iHeartRadio, etc  that they all use a database for rating system which the rating data is stored on the server instead of client side.

Unless if you are all prefer network share with Dopamine users for rating, then they can use network database instead of the worldwide rating system.

I can only speak for last.fm as that's all I use, but it has a rating system in that you can love a track, or not (so, binary). People have asked for a 5 star system for years and it hasn't happened so I don't think they are interested in supporting it. Dopamine already supports syncing from Dopamine to Last.fm if you love a track. What is missing is the ability to sync from Last.fm back to Dopamine. But this would only take care of the heart/love of tracks. Hence the discussion on the 5 star rating system and options on how to handle syncing this. I still don't understand the point on making agreements with last.fm, but let's move on.

2 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

I can only speak for last.fm as that's all I use, but it has a rating system in that you can love a track, or not (so, binary). People have asked for a 5 star system for years and it hasn't happened so I don't think they are interested in supporting it. Dopamine already supports syncing from Dopamine to Last.fm if you love a track. What is missing is the ability to sync from Last.fm back to Dopamine. But this would only take care of the heart/love of tracks. Hence the discussion on the 5 star rating system and options on how to handle syncing this. I still don't understand the point on making agreements with last.fm, but let's move on.

Also, I'm not planning on making any agreements with any company, nor planning to set up a Dopamine server which would keep track of a user's ratings. However I agree to add an export/import function + an option to sync an external file.

This is the issue on GitHub: Issue 396

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

This will make some people happy :) Already implemented and planned for the next build.

Awesome! I've been checking this topic every time there's a post in the hope it was about that. Looking forward to it! (Y)

49 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

This will make some people happy :) Already implemented and planned for the next build.

audio device selection.png

Will it still auto switch if I switch my default windows device from within windows?

11 hours ago, Ravensky said:

Will it still auto switch if I switch my default windows device from within windows?

Yes. If you choose "Default audio device" it will follow the default device and auto-switch (same a the current behavior). If you choose a specific device in the list, it will not switch when the default audio device changes. It will keep playing on the selected device. Unless you remove the device on which it is playing. Then Dopamine switches to the new default device, to prevent playback interruption.

• Like 2

A new preview is available: 1.3 build 917 (preview)

This is the change log:

– [Changed] Updated the Swedish translation
– [Added] Left and right arrow keys allow jumping 5 or 15 seconds backward or forward (Information > help for hotkeys)
– [Added] Option to follow the average album cover color
– [Added] Added support for local lyrics files (LRC)
– [Added] Added audio device selection
– [Added] Changes to the collection folders are detected automatically
– [Fixed] Timestamped lyrics for songs longer than 1 hour don’t work

Download here

Enjoy!

Build 917 broke the search field. This new build (918) fixes that. This is the change log:

2017-05-02: Dopamine 1.3 Build 918 (Preview)

- [Changed] Updated the Swedish translation
- [Fixed] Typing in the search box doesn't work anymore

Download here

Been using this for a couple of hours, feel so fun with Dopamine since I could finally get a fully functional music player that mimics Metro design language :p

Indexing my 3 gigabytes (325 files) music collection only took 8 seconds which is pretty amazing :D

I do have a suggestion though:

• I have many songs that doesn't have an artwork on it, and Dopamine likes to stick an artwork from other songs. (I have some songs that are clumped into one folder since I was lazy to sort through all of it :pinch:)
    Is there any way to make it so that Dopamine only grabs artwork from the file itself?
  • It would be nice to have a folder view since it's hard for me to pick out folders to add on a playlist.
  • Going through the first row of tabs (Collection, Settings and Info) is hard since the text are quite small.
  • Dopamine takes 128 megabytes of RAM, sure it wouldn't have been a problem for most users, but considering there are people with less RAM on their computers it would've been great to have the RAM usage lessened down.
  • EDIT: I would like the playlist to be saved on another location.
  • EDIT: The 1px window border should've been invisible when maximising the window.

Otherwise, Dopamine is a top-notch for me, definitely would try recommending it to friends :rofl:

Edited by intrnl
I forgot :^)