Dopamine

1 hour ago, Ikshaar said:

Do you know Rainmeter ? quite a nice desktop widget tool for Windows 10. Their music player plugin does not support Dopamine or vice-versa. But if anyone wants to update the plugin... just floating the idea ;)

Featuring here the nano player - I love it !! 

Screenshot 2017-08-06 18.29.01.jpg

Yes please!!!

Capture.JPG

On 8/4/2017 at 10:17 PM, uninet said:

I found a Dopamine 1.3 Release problem with a networked location for audio files, accessed from a Windows 10 virtual machine (VM) client. If one attempts to select a networked folder by the general "known by" name rather than the "target" name, one encounters "The folder name is not valid." If one uses the target name, instead, the file name is recognized and the networked audio files are accessed. The problem may be due to the inclusion of the VM host's name in parentheses within the general name. The Dopamine series of images attached.

Dopamine (4).jpg

Dopamine (5).jpg

Dopamine (6).jpg

I've logged this issue: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/477

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 0:35 AM, Ikshaar said:

Do you know Rainmeter ? quite a nice desktop widget tool for Windows 10. Their music player plugin does not support Dopamine or vice-versa. But if anyone wants to update the plugin... just floating the idea ;)

Featuring here the nano player - I love it !! 

Screenshot 2017-08-06 18.29.01.jpg

I've created this issue: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/478

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThisIsStockerHD said:

Just thinking, do you reckon this would work under Mono on Linux at all?

It won't. WPF is not part of Mono.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:57 AM, Raphaël G. said:

Hi everyone!

Today is release day! After months of development and quite a few preview versions, I’ve decided it was time to release version 1.3.
I’d like to thank all users, testers, developers who helped on GitHub, and last but not least, the people who donated. All you help is very much appreciated. One feature didn’t make it in this release: smart playlists. Sorry about that. That feature has been moved to version 1.4.

This release contains many improvements over version 1.2. This is the change log:

Disclaimer:

Playlist support was rewritten from scratch. Your existing playlists will not be migrated.
Save your playlists to files manually before upgrading to this version. Import your saved
playlists after upgrading to this version.

– [Added] Added a button to export album and song covers to files
– [Added] Added an option to switch between 4 styles of spectrum analyzers
– [Added] Smoother list animations
– [Added] Added extra album sorting option “By date created”
– [Added] Added optional play count, skip count and date last played column to the songs screen
– [Added] Added a context menu option to add the playing song to a playlist
– [Added] Left and right arrow keys allow jumping 5 or 15 seconds backward or forward (Information > help for hotkeys)
– [Added] Added an option to follow the album cover color
– [Added] Added support for local lyrics files (LRC)
– [Added] Added audio device selection
– [Added] Changes to the collection folders are now detected automatically
– [Added] Changes to the Music\Dopamine\Playlists folder are now detected automatically
– [Added] Added NeteaseLyrics support
– [Added] Added XiamiLyrics support
– [Added] Double clicking a playlist queues and plays the songs of that playlist
– [Added] The keyboard space bar now toggles play and pause
– [Changed] Lyrics are not downloaded anymore when the lyrics screen is not visible
– [Changed] When using “Loop one”, pressing Previous or Next now skips to the previous or next song.
– [Changed] Playlists support has been rewritten: playlists are now saved to files automatically.
– [Changed] The ‘Cloud’ screen was renamed to ‘Frequent’ and the layout was changed
– [Changed] The song title on playback info panes now scales to the available width
– [Changed] Updated the Swedish translation
– [Changed] Updated the Spanish translation
– [Changed] Updated the French translation
– [Changed] Updated the Turkish translation
– [Changed] Updated the Bulgarian translation
– [Changed] Updated the Greek translation
– [Changed] Updated the Polish translation
– [Changed] Updated the German translation
– [Changed] Updated the Russian translation
– [Fixed] Automatic install or download button for updates is confusing for some users
– [Fixed] Improved sizing of time indicator on the main window
– [Fixed] A potential crash when trying to figure out the Windows version at startup.
– [Fixed] Blurry context menu, notification window and tooltips at desktop scaling higher as 100%
– [Fixed] Timestamped lyrics for songs longer than 1 hour don’t work
– [Fixed] Audio files which reside on a NAS cannot be played from playlists
– [Fixed] Dopamine process remains active in Task Manager after a crash
– [Fixed] Tray controls are positioned outside of the screen when using desktop scaling > 100%
– [Fixed] Fixed an occasional crash which happened when automatically scrolling to the playing song
– [Fixed] Mini player windows are buggy in Windows 10 tablet mode
– [Fixed] A possible startup crash caused by the tray icon
– [Fixed] A conflict with the search box when changing the volume by pressing – or +
– [Fixed] Tray controls don’t respect the position of the Windows Taskbar.
– [Fixed] Added optional ‘Remove from disk’ option to the song context menu
– [Fixed] Date in the Song Information window is not localized
– [Fixed] WASAPI Exclusive mode plays high pitched sound
– [Fixed] Play next doesn’t work correctly when shuffle is enabled

As usual, you can download it here.

How's the LRC lyric file support work here?

2 hours ago, Tejoenardo said:

How's the LRC lyric file support work here?

The lrc file must be in the same folder as the concerned audio file, and it must have the same file name (except for the extension, which must be .lrc). Example:

Audio file: Amazing band - amazing song.mp3

LRC file: Amazing band - amazing song.lrc

3 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

The lrc file must be in the same folder as the concerned audio file, and it must have the same file name (except for the extension, which must be .lrc). Example:

Audio file: Amazing band - amazing song.mp3

LRC file: Amazing band - amazing song.lrc

In the next version, I wish you can make it possible to read the lrc file from one user-configurable folder. Currently I have thousands of lrc file which is stored in C:/Lyrics folder. It would be painful to put em all into the same folder as the audio file (I put each song file in its artist/album folder).

36 minutes ago, Tejoenardo said:

In the next version, I wish you can make it possible to read the lrc file from one user-configurable folder. Currently I have thousands of lrc file which is stored in C:/Lyrics folder. It would be painful to put em all into the same folder as the audio file (I put each song file in its artist/album folder).

How are the file names for your lrc files formatted? I agree to add an option to provide a lrc folder, but the names should be the same as the audio files. Otherwise mapping will still be a manual action.

22 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

It won't. WPF is not part of Mono.

Thats a shame, thanks for replying.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:23 PM, Raphaël G. said:

How are the file names for your lrc files formatted? I agree to add an option to provide a lrc folder, but the names should be the same as the audio files. Otherwise mapping will still be a manual action.

They are in "Artist - Title" format. For example : 

Amazing Artist - Amazing Song.lrc

I've just discovered Dopamine, and that's a great software.

I was looking for a free (as in speech) software to replace AIMP.

But there is still something's missing : the hability to read format like .mod, .s3m, xm.

This is the only thing I need to use it as my main audio player.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 6:48 AM, Merit said:

I've just discovered Dopamine, and that's a great software.

I was looking for a free (as in speech) software to replace AIMP.

But there is still something's missing : the hability to read format like .mod, .s3m, xm.

This is the only thing I need to use it as my main audio player.

Hi! Sorry for replying so late. I'm having trouble keeping track of things lately (too many ideas and projects in my head :))

A new audio engine, with support for much more audio formats, is planned.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, jasondefaoite said:

Does the 1.4 preview have the new playback engine? Those flac files I had issues playing in 1.3 are now working perfectly :)

No it doesn't. It does contain a more recent version of the old playback engine. It might have improved the flac thing, but I can't confirm it.

• 3 weeks later...

Raphaël, I've got a request. Probably my first one in a long time.

Cortana used to be able to play a song by its title with previous versions of Windows 10 on my PC. I would simply say something like 'Hey, Cortana, play Clark Kent Reporter' and she would launch Groove Music and play that particular track. But after having updated to the Fall Creators Update, and note this is a clean install, she's since lost that ability. No matter what I do, every time I ask her to play a track, she ends up saying: 'I can't find that on Groove' or something of the like.
I have, naturally, reported this problem to Microsoft multiple times.

I was wondering, would it be possible to add something like that on Dopamine? I guess it should be done in the UWP version of your music player, and even though Microsoft has clearly abandoned its mobile OS (I still have my Lumia 950 XL :cry:), I can't help but think that a desktop UWP app with Cortana integration might have a lot of potential, especially now that we're starting to see smart speakers with Cortana integration hit the market.

Of course, if you are no longer working on a UWP version of Dopamine, just ignore this whole message.

Have a great weekend! :)

On 10/20/2017 at 6:51 PM, Jackaluichi said:

Raphaël, I've got a request. Probably my first one in a long time.

Cortana used to be able to play a song by its title with previous versions of Windows 10 on my PC. I would simply say something like 'Hey, Cortana, play Clark Kent Reporter' and she would launch Groove Music and play that particular track. But after having updated to the Fall Creators Update, and note this is a clean install, she's since lost that ability. No matter what I do, every time I ask her to play a track, she ends up saying: 'I can't find that on Groove' or something of the like.
I have, naturally, reported this problem to Microsoft multiple times.

I was wondering, would it be possible to add something like that on Dopamine? I guess it should be done in the UWP version of your music player, and even though Microsoft has clearly abandoned its mobile OS (I still have my Lumia 950 XL :cry:), I can't help but think that a desktop UWP app with Cortana integration might have a lot of potential, especially now that we're starting to see smart speakers with Cortana integration hit the market.

Of course, if you are no longer working on a UWP version of Dopamine, just ignore this whole message.

Have a great weekend! :)

Hi!

Thanks for the feature request (they're all welcome). unfortunately I won't be able to provide that feature. I don't have Cortana here, so I can't test it. Also, I abandoned the UWP project. I want to focus on the desktop version of Dopamine, which allows compatibility with Windows 7 and 8 too. If in some distant future UWP proves to remain supported by Microsoft, and Windows 7 and 8 are not around anymore, I might reconsider a UWP version.

Hi again!

I have some announcements and questions.

Announcement 1: previews and build numbers are no more! The previews have mostly been very stable. Some of you dared to use them, but I noticed that lots of users are scared of them, just because they are called "Preview". They miss out on a lot of goodies by only using the releases. So I decided to ditch previews and only provide releases from now on. The goal, of course, is not to make you wait too long between releases. So they will be released at approx. the same rate as the previews. That means that we'll have more minor version number increases. For example, the next release (soon) will be 1.4.1 (there won't be a 1.4, as that would break upgrade functionality for those that used the last 1.4 preview, as the version number would suddenly be lower than the last preview).

Announcement 2: I've added a new audio engine to Dopamine. For those that know about it, it is based off Ffmpeg. That means that, suddenly, much more file formats are supported.

Question 1: because I still want to be in control of the file formats which can be played by Dopamine (main reason: testing and making sure it really works) I want to know which formats you'd like me to add and to test out. Can you also provide a sample file? I'll probably add more and more formats on the fly during minor releases.

Question 2: there is no question 2 :)

Thanks for your attention!

14 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hi!

Thanks for the feature request (they're all welcome). unfortunately I won't be able to provide that feature. I don't have Cortana here, so I can't test it. Also, I abandoned the UWP project. I want to focus on the desktop version of Dopamine, which allows compatibility with Windows 7 and 8 too. If in some distant future UWP proves to remain supported by Microsoft, and Windows 7 and 8 are not around anymore, I might reconsider a UWP version.

Fair enough, mate! :)
Shame on Microsoft and how they've been doing things lately when it comes to the consumer side of the business :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hi again!

I have some announcements and questions.

Announcement 1: previews and build numbers are no more! The previews have mostly been very stable. Some of you dared to use them, but I noticed that lots of users are scared of them, just because they are called "Preview". They miss out on a lot of goodies by only using the releases. So I decided to ditch previews and only provide releases from now on. The goal, of course, is not to make you wait too long between releases. So they will be released at approx. the same rate as the previews. That means that we'll have more minor version number increases. For example, the next release (soon) will be 1.4.1 (there won't be a 1.4, as that would break upgrade functionality for those that used the last 1.4 preview, as the version number would suddenly be lower than the last preview).

Announcement 2: I've added a new audio engine to Dopamine. For those that know about it, it is based off Ffmpeg. That means that, suddenly, much more file formats are supported.

Question 1: because I still want to be in control of the file formats which can be played by Dopamine (main reason: testing and making sure it really works) I want to know which formats you'd like me to add and to test out. Can you also provide a sample file? I'll probably add more and more formats on the fly during minor releases.

Question 2: there is no question 2 :)

Thanks for your attention!

Great, more builds coming soon!!! :woot:

Well, I mostly listen to all my music on mp3 and flac formats. But, I'm sure there will be people around here with different needs.

I can see from this thread that you are overworked and one of these days I need to give Dopamine a try and then figure out how to contribute comments that won't add to your overload!

So, quick question. I looked at your GitHub and could not see a UWP branch or a directory with UWP specific code so a quick pointer to where you have parked that stuff would be handy so I could see if there is any way I could help in that area.

Thanks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DevTech said:

I can see from this thread that you are overworked and one of these days I need to give Dopamine a try and then figure out how to contribute comments that won't add to your overload!

So, quick question. I looked at your GitHub and could not see a UWP branch or a directory with UWP specific code so a quick pointer to where you have parked that stuff would be handy so I could see if there is any way I could help in that area.

Thanks.

It's ok. I love what I'm doing, and that's mostly the reason why I am so busy :). The UWP code is gone since this commit https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/commit/fb16719ca927d0ca07e0475afd96e468c5b1bbc4. It was part of the Dopamine solution. Some code was shared between the 2 win32 and UWP project by using a portable class library. The UWP project didn't provide much yet. It was mostly a UI skeleton which still needed to be filled with components. Backend code as also almost non existant.

7 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

It's ok. I love what I'm doing, and that's mostly the reason why I am so busy :). The UWP code is gone since this commit https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/commit/fb16719ca927d0ca07e0475afd96e468c5b1bbc4. It was part of the Dopamine solution. Some code was shared between the 2 win32 and UWP project by using a portable class library. The UWP project didn't provide much yet. It was mostly a UI skeleton which still needed to be filled with components. Backend code as also almost non existant.

To people reading my questions:

1. It is not realistic to form even a tiny kernel of hope here.

2. I have a randomly generated curiosity here and do not yet have an intention. Even if I get to the point where I would like to take some sort of action, it may not be a practical thing to achieve within a reasonable time frame, or may simply be a maze of twisty little passages that prevents the adventure from ever starting. N.

3. the FFMPEG license has got to be the craziest thing I have looked at in a long time:

https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/LICENSE.md

Keep reading to the end, it is not a skim read to appreciate the full Anty-Glory of that document! It is a "Road to Hell Paved with Good Intentions" testament to the horrors than can become of the human intellect.

4. I was going to politely  inquire about the possibility of a license change to MIT to encourage more code reuse and more general participation from people who do UWP OSS where Microsoft has essentially made MIT the defacto license. But even if Raphaël G. was open to that concept, the MIT license would require crazy gymnastics to twist into shape to use FFMPEG.

5. My curiosity was tweaked due to two reasons. First I am still not disillusioned in any way by UWP which I think could get renamed or re-branded or even re-surfaced but is so deep into the internals of Windows code that it is not one of those "flash in the pan" things that Microsoft is notorious for. Heck, people said that about WPF and  Raphaël G. is still doing something fantastic with a tech that Sinofsky tried to kill but is now fully supported by Microsoft again. We need to ride out the waves of politics and realize that moving 1.3 billion users along some curve takes time.

Secondly, I have yet to find a music player that works well for me. Most players assume you have a music collection in a fixed place and I have MP3 files and movie files spread across many many terabytes of space across over 10 computers on my home LAN. I mentioned movies. I want a single player for both media types but I don't want a "media player." The player should look like an audio player when playing music and a movie player when playing movies. The UI needs to adapt drastically, not just fluff. Just basic logical stuff that nobody seems to do. Then in "groovy stuff" I would like anyone on the LAN using their player to be able to say "listen to this" and all running players will stream/play the same file for a while and if I want the entire house to come alive, a remote activator fires up general coverage by launching the "Apocalypse Now" option on up to all 10 computers.

6. As  Raphaël G. has previously stated somewhere, the scenarios where UWP is useful over and above a WPF Desktop version may be limited. I see the following (non-overriding) reasons to consider UWP:

A. UWP device targeting. Pixelsense, Hololens, Tablet, Windows Phone, IOT, and the new "Mixed Reality" - Tablet is important, AR/VR is intriguing, Phone is just sad. I recently broke the LCD of my 950XL and while waiting for repair, bought a LG V20. Android is like a bunch of really stupid designers conflated everything backwards and laughed as the entire world swallowed the Emperors New Clothes. IOS is worse. I can't wait to get back to my 950XL but making an app work for a handful of users feels a bit quixotic.

B. Win 10S - every article on Win 10S emphasizes the easy upgrade to Win 10 so I don't see that gaining traction right now and the idea is ahead of its time when you consider installed base but will eventually achieve ignition around 800 million Win 10 users IMO.

C. Xamarin - the changes to accommodate UWP could be structured to also support Xamarin to yield an IOS and Android version along with UWP. Those markets don't need another player but if there was a LAN aware player/service then using phones and tablets as another simultaneous view into the player would be a very nice thing.

D. Project Neon - To a programmer (well me anyways) this is the most compelling reason to strongly consider UWP. Just the sheer fun of diving into Neon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to pay attention to your project one way or another. Strangely enough, it was the Rainmeter question that caught my attention and I started to muse about ideas surrounding a fusion of Rainmeter, UWP with Neon and your Player.

i am "10Dev" on GitHub...