Dopamine

For a little while now I've been having problems opening Dopamine, with the process just hanging and/or just a black screen. It had made me stop using it cos I couldn't figure out why, but I have just discovered it is because it's conflicting with MSI Afterburner. Once I close that Dopamine opens.

Has something changed that might have caused this? I was running the latest Release build.

35 minutes ago, dakn said:

For a little while now I've been having problems opening Dopamine, with the process just hanging and/or just a black screen. It had made me stop using it cos I couldn't figure out why, but I have just discovered it is because it's conflicting with MSI Afterburner. Once I close that Dopamine opens.

Has something changed that might have caused this? I was running the latest Release build.

Hi. Sad to hear that another application caused Dopamine to misbehave. It wasn't my doing though. A bit of searching on the web shows that this is not an isolated case. Other WPF applications also fail to work because of MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner. I have no idea what these tools are for though (overclocking?). It seems it's those developers that would need to whitelist Dopamine or something at least.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77292/crashes-on-windows-10-creators-update-caused-by-riva-tuner

Thanks for the reply mate. It's not a big deal now I know what's causing it. The only reason I thought to check Afterburner was because I had the same issue when trying to use Handbrake (encoding software) and found the solution online.

I'll have to see if there is a beta version that might fix it !

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Dopamine 1.5 has just been released.

Info and download can be found in my blog post: http://www.digimezzo.com/2017/11/20/dopamine-1-5/ 

Enjoy!

Edit:

Embarrassing release is embarrassing. Dopamine 1.5.1 is now available to fix version 1.5's instability on some computers: http://www.digimezzo.com/2017/11/20/dopamine-1-5-1/

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hey everyone! Dopamine 1.5 has just been released.

Info and download can be found in my blog post: http://www.digimezzo.com/2017/11/20/dopamine-1-5/ 

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the new update, Raphaël!
I'll take a look at the Spanish translation as soon as I have some time to spare :D

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Edit:

Embarrassing release is embarrassing. Dopamine 1.5.1 is now available to fix version 1.5's instability on some computers: http://www.digimezzo.com/2017/11/20/dopamine-1-5-1/

Well here, 1.5.1 did nothing much than 1.5.0 (shows updating DB and then nothing, even after deleting database files), I had to erase all profile files and re-run Dopamine like the first time...

EDIT : Mmmmh... Worked well the first time. But the second, back to the non-opening bug :cry:

Edited by 1for-matik

2 hours ago, 1for-matik said:

Well here, 1.5.1 did nothing much than 1.5.0 (shows updating DB and then nothing, even after deleting database files), I had to erase all profile files and re-run Dopamine like the first time...

EDIT : Mmmmh... Worked well the first time. But the second, back to the non-opening bug :cry:

I found the issue. It's language related. When using the English translation it works fine. When using anything else, it crashes on startup. I'm fixing it right now.

Edit: Dopamine 1.5.2 fixes your issue.

• Like 2

Sorry I am new to this program and have not taken the time to read all 112 pages in this forum.  Can anyone tell me why this program is triggering Windows Defender - it tries to block even the installation of it.

Awesome, I love the change where it opens in mini mode when playing files from explorer

5 hours ago, Jaybonaut said:

Sorry I am new to this program and have not taken the time to read all 112 pages in this forum.  Can anyone tell me why this program is triggering Windows Defender - it tries to block even the installation of it.

Windows defender smartscreen is overzealous and blocks anything with an 'unknown publisher'

you can just click more info and then tell it to continue anyway

Hey everyone! Dopamine 1.5.3 is available! http://www.digimezzo.com/2017/11/22/dopamine-1-5-3/

Change log:

- [Changed] Updated the French translation
- [Changed] Updated the German translation
- [Changed] Updated the Swedish translation
- [Changed] Updated the Turkish translation
- [Fixed] Korean language file is missing in installable version
- [Fixed] Indexing fails for all files if 1 of the files has a path which is too long
- [Fixed] Some broken files generate faulty artists, genres and albums in the collection during indexing
- [Fixed] Portable version update notification forwards the user to the installer instead of download location
- [Fixed] Files with special characters fail to play
- [Fixed] Buttons don't work on the system notification
- [Fixed] A thick accented window border is displayed when maximized with a hidden Windows Taskbar
- [Fixed] Last selected settings page is not remembered when going back to Settings from the Collection or Information pages

• Like 2

Hi Raphael,

I believe I've found a bug:

With the current 1.5.x release, if the folder that a song is in contains a { or } character, dopamine will just totally lock up when you attempt to play a song from that folder (the song will play, but the dopamine UI totally locks up and you have to kill the process).

As soon as I remove { or } from the folder that contains the song (and let dopamine re-index) the songs in that folder work without issue.

If I go back and re-add the { character (and let dopamine re-index), if I try to play any song from that folder it locks up

It doesn't matter whether the file is played from your music library, or if you open the file in dopamine from windows explorer

I'm really not sure why, so I'm sorry that I can't present a cause, but after a couple of hours, Dopamine starts getting stutters. Have to exit and restart it, it performs perfectly again.

5 hours ago, ViperAFK said:

Hi Raphael,

With the current 1.5.x release, if the folder that a song is in contains a { or } character, dopamine will just totally lock up when you attempt to play a song from that folder (the song will play, but the dopamine UI totally locks up and you have to kill the process).

As soon as I remove { or } from the folder that contains the song (and let dopamine re-index) the songs in that folder work without issue.

If I go back and re-add the { character (and let dopamine re-index), if I try to play any song from that folder it locks up

It doesn't matter whether the file is played from your music library, or if you open the file in dopamine from windows explorer

That's a strange one. I'll test it out.

5 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I'm really not sure why, so I'm sorry that I can't present a cause, but after a couple of hours, Dopamine starts getting stutters. Have to exit and restart it, it performs perfectly again.

When this happens, could you check in task manager if Dopamine is using a lot of CPU or RAM at that time?

6 hours ago, ViperAFK said:

Hi Raphael,

Oh yes. That is a nasty one. I think it might have been in the 1.3 release already, but I'm not sure.

Another issue I'm seeing:

If you right click a folder > Play with dopamine the track order is scrambled instead of being ordered by track number (attached example screenshot)

Screenshot (12).png

54 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

I can't click and play from "frequent" anymore :(

Ok thanks for reporting that. I just fixed that silly mistake.

4 hours ago, ViperAFK said:

If you right click a folder > Play with dopamine the track order is scrambled instead of being ordered by track number (attached example screenshot)

4 hours ago, ViperAFK said:

Screenshot (12).png

That one seems more difficult to reproduce. In all cases, songs are enqueued in the order they appear in the folder on my computer. I've logged an issue. If you had it, there must be something subtle going wrong: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/576

On 11/23/2017 at 1:57 PM, Raphaël G. said:

That one seems more difficult to reproduce. In all cases, songs are enqueued in the order they appear in the folder on my computer. I've logged an issue. If you had it, there must be something subtle going wrong: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/576

In testing this further, it only appears to happen if the folder being played is from a network share.

If I take that exact same album and right click | play with dopamine from my C:\ drive they are in the right order.

If I right click play the same folder, except this time from a samba share the track order is scrambled

EDIT: yeah this seems like a fun one, it only seems to happen if the smb share it's being played from is on a linux machine.

I copied this same album to a network share (on a windows 10 machine) and to a network share (on an ubuntu 16.04 machine). If I play the folder from the windows 10 smb share they are in the right order, if I play the folder from the linux sbm share the order is scambled

1 hour ago, ViperAFK said:

In testing this further, it only appears to happen if the folder being played is from a network share.

If I take that exact same album and right click | play with dopamine from my C:\ drive they are in the right order.

If I right click play the same folder, except this time from a samba share the track order is scrambled

EDIT: yeah this seems like a fun one, it only seems to happen if the smb share it's being played from is on a linux machine.

I copied this same album to a network share (on a windows 10 machine) and to a network share (on an ubuntu 16.04 machine). If I play the folder from the windows 10 smb share they are in the right order, if I play the folder from the linux sbm share the order is scambled

That's interesting. No idea how to solve it though. I just added extra sorting by filename for the songs of the processed directory, as, until now, I just relied on the order in which a standard .NET function fetches the file. The extra sorting might solve this issue. This will be in Dopamine 1.5.4.

Edit: 1.5.4 has just been released. You can get it here.

6 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

That's interesting. No idea how to solve it though. I just added extra sorting by filename for the songs of the processed directory, as, until now, I just relied on the order in which a standard .NET function fetches the file. The extra sorting might solve this issue. This will be in Dopamine 1.5.4.

Edit: 1.5.4 has just been released. You can get it here.

awesome, that did seem to do the trick, tested that album again from the linux samba share (using 1.5.4) and they are in the right order

• Like 2

mine is not working.. I tried to update to the latest version ( 1.5.4) but nothing happen. The Installer is open twice but do nothing. Windows 10 17043 build 64bit.

I looked for security/rights for your .msi file . All seems good.

PS: never mind, just ignore this reply...I found what is wrong...It's not your .msi file, it's the Windows Installer from my win10....I seems to be somehow not working anymore in this win10 version. I tried another app installer/updating...No working.

Bad bad Microsoft :)

Many thanks and congratulation for your awesome app. I'm using every day since you give us the first the opportunity to testing and using it.

Edited by Just Elevation
found the issue