Smoking

Don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't care if you quit or not. Just keep the smoke to yourself.

But of course! And I did. Maybe it was more available in Europe, but I had my smoking rooms. I would walk off and have a cigarette there. No one needed to walk in there. These days I have found one or two places that still allow smoking rooms and it works well. My problem is (hypothetically) when someone stands next to me outside and splutters and coughs over the idea that I'm smoking. Is the world not big enough for that person to take a few steps outside of the smoke range?

(And before anyone mentions it, I'm in the location first.)

• Like 3

yeah, no ######.   i quit a while back, after 12 years of smoking a pack or more a day.   best decision ever!

(granted, i wanted a cigarette when i was drunk, around people who smoke, but i realized it was mostly because they smoked -

i don't hand out with smokers anymore, and if i do i make sure they smoke way away from me - so i don't crave cigarettes anymore)

medicinal marijuana on other hand....   i can see the benefit of smoking.     smoking cigarettes, I DO NOT.   heck, even cuban cigars...

but to smoke a mass produced crap cancer stick.   for a 5 minute "relaxation" toxic buzz (and wanting to brush mu teeth after....) NO THANKS

and do not tell me, i don't understand.  i was a casual smoker since 13 years old. a heavy smoker since 18!  i went for a few years burning more then 2 packs a day.

i KNOW what smoking is, and how hard/easy it is to quit.   

Nope.. I heard that you smoke in the bathroom and then come out of the bathroom like nothing happens. 

:p

/joking aside, good job. 

My dad smoked for many years and he finally quit about 8 years ago. He feels better now.

I'll switch the order of comments to best suit the situation:

I applaud anyone who stops smoking. Good on them, they're better people for it. (Y)

Right now? Little/nothing. Call me deluded, "a young-un" or whatever you like, but I have little reason to figure out why I should hang around for another...60 years(?) when people are telling me that the small things that I enjoy doing I should stop doing to make my life last longer. That might change in later life, and my decisions from my earlier period might negatively affect that, but I've been brought up with the idea of not looking too far ahead in the first place, who knows what might happen?

And let's not forget the hardcore smokers who outlived the healthy athletic people. Anything can happen in life, I'm not going to do something just because it may prolong a life that I'm not too fussed about in the first place.

I almost thought I could respect your opinion until you discussed hardcore smokers living longer than healthy athletic people as this shows that on some level, you deny health risks in smoking. I am not saying that it does not happen (after all my grandfather died in his late 80's as a smoker), but that it completely ignores what happens to the majority of smokers. People have also come out without mental defects from resuscitation far beyond the usual time limits, but no one in their right might would count on it. If you can admit here and now that smoking is horrible for your health and that only the lucky come through unscathed from it, then I can actually respect you as a smoker as your making an informed decision.

I almost thought I could respect your opinion until you discussed hardcore smokers living longer than healthy athletic people as this shows that on some level, you deny health risks in smoking. I am not saying that it does not happen (after all my grandfather died in his late 80's as a smoker), but that it completely ignores what happens to the majority of smokers. People have also come out without mental defects from resuscitation far beyond the usual time limits, but no one in their right might would count on it. If you can admit here and now that smoking is horrible for your health and that only the lucky come through unscathed from it, then I can actually respect you as a smoker as your making an informed decision.

Yes, I agree that the statistics just go to show that you will more than likely suffer issues if you take up smoking. We can't take the few examples to say, "Well I'll just be one of them."

But again, what annoys me is when the anti-smokers say, "look at the statistics! you'll survive longer if you quit now!"

• A) That won't stop me getting hit by a bus tomorrow. My overall mentality is that ###### happens.
  • B) If life is so short because we don't know what happens tomorrow, I may as well enjoy something that I like.
I am not condoning smoking in the slightest. But don't think that statistics are going to change my mind. Especially adding 60,000 people on top of 500,000. Again, ###### happens.

How about when you exhale you take away the right to clean air of those around you, or that might happen to be forced to pass by you?

Smoking isn't like other drug addictions. When someone shoots up, they don't also for those near by to have it in their bodies too.

Smoking is shelfish.

Yes, I agree that the statistics just go to show that you will more than likely suffer issues if you take up smoking. We can't take the few examples to say, "Well I'll just be one of them."

But again, what annoys me is when the anti-smokers say, "look at the statistics! you'll survive longer if you quit now!"

• A) That won't stop me getting hit by a bus tomorrow. My overall mentality is that ###### happens.
  • B) If life is so short because we don't know what happens tomorrow, I may as well enjoy something that I like.
I am not condoning smoking in the slightest. But don't think that statistics are going to change my mind. Especially adding 60,000 people on top of 500,000. Again, ###### happens.

The 500,000 number is a crock I can agree with that, those numbers lump in all sorts of things from bladder cancer to ischemic heart disease to stroke. My late 80's grandfather says smoking caused his death on his birth certificate because he died of complications from a stroke....at an age where strokes happen for quite a few reasons. It is also dubious when an obese person died from a stroke or heart attack and hes included in the deaths by smoking because he smokes. That said, you can guarantee at least 220,000 deaths that can have no other origin than smoking due to lung cancer and pulmonary diseases and frankly I don't think it matters if its even 30,000 that's too many preventable deaths. I do not hate the anti smoking crowed whatsoever, I do however hate hypocrites munching a cheeseburger while telling others to not smoke. I find chronic smoking as abominable as chronic bad nutrition and both should be STRONGLY shamed.

That said, you can guarantee at least 220,000 deaths that can have no other origin than smoking due to lung cancer and pulmonary diseases and frankly I don't think it matters if its even 30,000 that's too many preventable deaths. I do not hate the anti smoking crowed whatsoever, I do however hate hypocrites munching a cheeseburger while telling others to not smoke. I find chronic smoking as abominable and chronic bad nutrition.

I think we agree that smoking is bad, but let people make their own decisions and not judge others for their similar decisions.

Personally that's how we should all be about everything ("judge not, lest ye be judged" or some biblical saying) but sadly that isn't the way that the world works. ;)

I think we agree that smoking is bad, but let people make their own decisions and not judge others for their similar decisions.

Personally that's how we should all be about everything ("judge not, lest ye be judged" or some biblical saying) but sadly that isn't the way that the world works. ;)

See this is where I part ways with you, while I do not support the overweight, or anyone else with lifestyles drastically effecting their health calling out others for it, I think all forms of unhealthy lifestyles should be shamed in the same way smoking is, where I agree with you is in the freedom for consenting adults to abuse their bodies as they see fit as long as proper education and anti*insert unhealthy habit* campaigns exist.

See this is where I part ways with you, while I do not support the overweight, or anyone else with lifestyles drastically effecting their health calling out others for it, I think all forms of unhealthy lifestyles should be shamed in the same way smoking is, where I agree with you is in the freedom for consenting adults to abuse their bodies as they see fit as long as proper education and anti*insert unhealthy habit* campaigns exist.

Why can't all discussions end like this for others? A prime example of two people with a difference of opinion from the outset, we cleared our point of views and we agreed that we'll not see eye to eye on the situation. Nice one. (Y)
  • Like 3

Why can't all discussions end like this for others? A prime example of two people with a difference of opinion from the outset, we cleared our point of views and we agreed that we'll not see eye to eye on the situation. Nice one. (Y)

I agree, I tend to get along better with those I disagree with, the only thing that really gets under my skin is denial. Informed differences of opinion can open the mind.

All is fair and square with your comment, but one huge problem with the bus logic.

Getting hit by a bus would be an accident. You won't go jump in front of it.

Smoking, on the other hand, you're actively increasing the chances of having smoking related health issues in the long run. That's not an accident. Not saying you WILL have problems, but the chance will be increased nonetheless.

smoking = legalized, taxed, drug addiction

/end

Alcohol = legalized, taxed, drug addiction

Coca-Cola = legalized, taxed, drug addiction

/just starting

How about when you exhale you take away the right to clean air of those around you, or that might happen to be forced to pass by you?

Smoking isn't like other drug addictions. When someone shoots up, they don't also for those near by to have it in their bodies too.

Smoking is shelfish.

Wrong. Cocaine is orders of magnitude worse than smoking tobacco. If I sniff you won't be affected by it, but you may very well be affected in unthinkable ways by my actions while high. And cocaine can be smoked as well, and it doesn't need a tobacco cig to be smoked. So you could be inhaling cocaine fumes without even breathing tobacco smoke. The same goes with alcohol, pot, meth, heroin, Prozac, benzodiazepines, and a very long etcetera. All addictions are selfish, all addictions are bad, but smoking isn't even as bad as you think or are trying to make it seem. Get off your high horse.

I started smoking when I was 13 and a month old, and quit at 39 and 2 months old. Became a heavy smoker at 16 (at least 1 pack a day) and by the time I was in college I was smoking about 2 packs of non-filter cigs a day. By the mid to end of college I was partying like crazy, drinking and sniffing. And when I partied I could easily smoke 3 - 4 packs in about 18 hours. It all came back to normality with my first serious full time job, almost quit partying and drinking (I'm a social drinker now and I absolutely love beer), cold-turkied myself on coke (been clean since I was 23 y/o) and went back to 1 pack of cigs a day.

Unfortunately I became what I hated and criticized the most: An

• Like 1

/just starting

Wrong. Cocaine is orders of magnitude worse than smoking tobacco. If I sniff you won't be affected by it, but you may very well be affected in unthinkable ways by my actions while high. And cocaine can be smoked as well, and it doesn't need a tobacco cig to be smoked. So you could be inhaling cocaine fumes without even breathing tobacco smoke. The same goes with alcohol, pot, meth, heroin, Prozac, benzodiazepines, and a very long etcetera. All addictions are selfish, all addictions are bad, but smoking isn't even as bad as you think or are trying to make it seem. Get off your high horse.

I started smoking when I was 13 and a month old, and quit at 39 and 2 months old. Became a heavy smoker at 16 (at least 1 pack a day) and by the time I was in college I was smoking about 2 packs of non-filter cigs a day. By the mid to end of college I was partying like crazy, drinking and sniffing. And when I partied I could easily smoke 3 - 4 packs in about 18 hours. It all came back to normality with my first serious full time job, almost quit partying and drinking (I'm a social drinker now and I absolutely love beer), cold-turkied myself on coke (been clean since I was 23 y/o) and went back to 1 pack of cigs a day.

Unfortunately I became what I hated and criticized the most: An

• Like 1

/just starting

When someone drinks something, it doesn't end up in other peoples bodies because of them drinking.

Containing smoke to a confinded area is like trying to keep food coloring from spreading once a drop is put into a container of clear water.

/just_saying

When someone drinks something, it doesn't end up in other peoples bodies because of them drinking.

Containing smoke to a confinded area is like trying to keep food coloring from spreading once a drop is put into a container of clear water.

/just_saying

See now this is an opinion that is also ridiculous, smokers need to be regulated to restricted areas when smoking, but acting as if smokers shouldn't even get that is over the top. Designate a spot for them and live and let be.

/just_saying

EVERY drug has some effect on someone, and those around them, when taken in access or it becomes addictive.  

Breathing in one person's second hand smoke for 10 seconds won't do diddly squat to you.  Just like one drink.  Now, spend months breathing in second hand smoke or months drinking heavily and both have an effect on that person and others around them.

>

Breathing in one person's second hand smoke for 10 seconds won't do diddly squat to you.

>

Bullhockey! I'm an asthmatic, and I guaran-effing-tee you it has an effect on me and other asthmatics! That's about 8% of the US population.

• Like 2

6 and a half weeks since I had a cigarette. I am happy to have given up.

Word of advice, though, if you want to help people to give up because you're concerned about their health & its associated costs, calling them stupid for smoking isn't going to do it. Most smokers take it up when they are too young to full grasp the consequences.

Bullhockey! I'm an asthmatic, and I guaran-effing-tee you it has an effect on me and other asthmatics! That's about 8% of the US population.

An effect on a pre-existing medical condition?  Yes.  There are dozens, if not hundreds of things that could effect asthmatics.  

But, does 10 seconds of walking by a smoker create some magical new health issue?  I think not.

An effect on a pre-existing medical condition? Yes. There are dozens, if not hundreds of things that could effect asthmatics.

But, does 10 seconds of walking by a smoker create some magical new health issue? I think not.

If there were it were just one smoker in the world it would be a rare event. But it isn't just you, it's up to half the population in some parts. That means that just walking down the street it's dozens to hundreds of times 10 seconds.

For infants and children, whose airways are much smaller than adults, even a short exposure can indeed have an effect. Bronchospasm can set in and it's not a little deal as it can start the chain of immune system events that creates asthmatics like me. It can also lead to SIDS.

Now consider that smoke both lingers and accumulates in public and private spaces, magnifying the above effect. It also sticks to your clothes and hair, where the particles and volatile compounds can continue to be re-emitted where ever you go. Yes, others can smell and feel them and they stink. This assuredly brings on the well documented effects of second hand smoke on non-smokers, including your friends and family.

CDC fact sheet on second hand smoke,

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/?mobile=nocontent

If there were it were just one smoker in the world it would be a rare event. But it isn't just you, it's up to half the population in some parts. That means that just walking down the street it's dozens to hundreds of times 10 seconds.

For infants and children, whose airways are much smaller than adults, even a short exposure can indeed have an effect. Bronchospasm can set in and it's not a little deal as it can start the chain of immune system events that creates asthmatics like me. It can also lead to SIDS.

Now consider that smoke both lingers and accumulates in public and private spaces, magnifying the above effect. It also sticks to your clothes and hair, where the particles and volatile compounds can continue to be re-emitted where ever you go. Yes, others can smell and feel them and they stink. This assuredly brings on the well documented effects of second hand smoke on non-smokers, including your friends and family.

CDC fact sheet on second hand smoke,

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/?mobile=nocontent

Pot meet kettle.