Falcon 9: SES-9 commsat rides first Enhanced F9 (mission)

A 35 minute hold will put the temperatures up...I was very surprised that they actually re-tried the launch....a lot of the densification benefit would have been lost during the wait.

We need a shotgun start tomorrow......

Safety first, I'm still happy, will get my virtual lawn chair ready for tomorrow....

later.....

:D

So am I crazy or did the countdown clock read T-38 min just before the webcast ended? Also, it seems like the webcasts are live again. Another attempt?

Edit: I am crazy, the webcasts are not live again, YouTube must have auto recorded them and now they are available for standard playback, It did say T-38 min when it ended though, probably just a fluke.

• Like 1

Listening to the webcasts again around the aborts noticed a lot less discipline on the Countdown Net then normal. Understandable as things get exciting, nice to know they are human anyways. :) LC even yawned before announcing move to scrub procedures. This is no big deal by any means and was still very professionally done. Totally agree with the scrub too, need to evaluate the data and inspect the vehicle and pad to be sure things are fine before trying again.

I love all the chatter, wish we could hear more than just the main countdown net.

Sure looks like the super-chilled fuels are adding a lot of roadblocks for only moderate gains. If the LOX heating up before the second attempt is what caused it to fail it seems likely that in the future holding the launch will no longer be possible and any hold results in an automatic scrub.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocM said:

I'd say there's a civil case as a launch day costs about $500k minimum. As to what the USCG does, dunno. I imagine he could be cited.

Count resumed, pending the idiot clearing the zone.

SpaceX could probably file a civil suit.

The security zone only runs 3 miles offshore. Violators of a security zone  can face up to $10,000 fine, 10 years imprisonment, and/or forfeiture of vessel. 

The safety zone runs further offshore, is a whole lot bigger and violators of that could face $1,000 fine and/or 1 year imprisonment. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DocM said:

Unannounced by the news

It wasn't a chopper sent out to chase off the ship last night

It was Dragon V3 !!

Hidden Content

I like the "Dragon Pods" of miscellaneous persuasion items......:D

I'll have my Gremlin be gone chant's, virtual lawn chair and treats, ready to go tomorrow......

:woot:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocM said:

March 1, 1847-2027 Eastern, 2347-0127 Zulu

Weather: currently 80%

Maybe they'll assign an attack sub to the zone this time :angry:

This could be a good reason for Congress to increase the Coast Guard's budget.... :D

• Like 2

misc bits....

Tug boat contributed to SpaceX launch scrub

A tug boat towing a barge was at least partially to blame for the Sunday night scrub of a planned Falcon 9 rocket launch.

The boat had ventured into the safety zone below the rocket's flight path, forcing Falcon 9 to sit on the pad 35 minutes longer than expected. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said the wait caused liquid oxygen loaded into the rocket's propellant tanks to heat up, and a "helium bubble triggered (the) alarm."

A fourth launch attempt has been scheduled for Tuesday.

The safety zone, from which boaters are forbidden, is an area that stretches form the shoreline of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station into the Atlantic Ocean; it is set for each launch depending on the flight path. The Coast Guard said the tug boat and barge were about 30 miles form shore and within the safety zone.

Warnings are broadcast over the marine band radio every 15 to 20 minutes within 12 to 24 hours when the safety zone is in effect. The Coast Guard said it rarely has problems from experienced commercial mariners. Not all small vessels have radios, but they are required on larger boats like the one that caused Sunday night's disruption.

In addition, the 45th Space Wing monitors the area with sea surveillance radar.

For many years, the Air Force Reserve 920th Rescue Wing cleared the safety zone by conducting fly-over sweeps, but they did not do the sweep prior to Sunday's launch attempt.

Col. Jeffrey Macrander, commander of the 920th Rescue Wing, said that not all rocket launches require the fly-over sweeps.

Starting about two months ago. the wing is no longer required to do the sweeps unless requested by the company launching the rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. Instead, the wing's helicopters are on standby to help clear boats detected by the surveillance radar as being in the safety zone.

"We're basically on standby," Macrander said. "They scrambled us to clear the boat and we did that."

Macrander said it took about 30 to 35 minutes for the helicopter to reach the tug boat and barge after getting airborne within 10 minutes of being advised of the violation. The helicopter crew got the tugboat and barge cleared, but not before the launch had to be postponed.

Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Stephen West, the marine safety officer for Station Port Canaveral, said violators of the safety zone can be fined if they are within 12 miles U.S. territorial waters. The Coast Guard does not have the authority to fine boats outside territorial waters. A boat could, however, still face fines for equipment violations.

"It's not clear whether they knew they were in the safety zone," West said.

A commercial vessel such as the tug boat is required to have an automatic identification system and radio. If the vessel strayed into the area because it did not have the required equipment it could be fined $1,000, even if it was outside territorial waters.

"A lot of people are asking if they could be fined," he said. "They could be fined for not using AIS system."

West said the Coast Guard had not yet determined what, if any, action would be taken against the tugboat owners.

Macrander said that large commercial vessels are usually aware of the launches and stay clear.

"It certainly is posted," he said. "I couldn't say why this particular ship had an issue."

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2016/02/29/tug-boat-contributed-spacex-launch-scrub/81102952/

---------------------

will also have to wait for new launch time verification.  The "latest" time I have seen, 6:35 pm EST till 8:05 pm EST, is 12 minutes earlier than prior launch times. The following is from a launch photographer, on reddit, but is not confirmed.....anyone got a good launch time yet?

dRfTmqk.jpg

?   :)

I love SpaceX, but sometimes it infuriates me. That's the price of an upstart aerospace company.

I wish they could have tried for Leap Day. There hasn't been a launch on Leap Day since 1976.

Conspiracy hat on was the tug hired by ULA at the moment they seem very worried by Spacex's successes and a boat in the exclusion zone is a good way to cause a scrub.

So the live events just disappeared from YouTube, but the countdown is still on on spacex.com/webcast.
Anyone know what this means? Hopefully just that they had some problem with YT.

EDIT
Oh a few seconds too late, thanks for the very quick answer :-P

We still have some entertainment with the undocking of Soyuz TMA-18M from the ISS.

The crew has boarded the Soyuz spacecraft for this morning's journey from the International Space Station to the landing site in Kazakhstan. The crew closed the hatchway between the station and capsule just after 4:43 p.m. EST (2143 GMT).

Sergey Volkov, Mikhail Kornienko and Scott Kelly will put on their Sokol launch and entry spacesuits over the next few hours before undocking of the Soyuz TMA-18M spacecraft at 8:02 p.m. EST (0102 GMT). Landing is scheduled for 11:25 p.m. EST (0425 GMT).

Live coverage...

http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/03/01/expedition-46-mission-status-center-2/

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

:D