Visual Studio VS Web Expressions vs Dreamweaver

Question

I downloaded the now free community edition of Visual Studio 2013 and I am disappointed so far. I got web essentials but other than that it is no Web Expressions 4 :-(

Web Expressions 4 is now 5 years out of date with no HTML 5 support.

I can't connect easily to a IIS VM I created and it seems to be geared toward ASP.net for code already designed by another program like Web expressions or dreamweaver.

Does VS 2013 support .php or have 1/5 of the features of Dreamweaver or Web Expressions? Or am I a n00b who is missing something?

This is my favorite so far: http://brackets.io/

There's a bit of visual editing and live editing websites, it's a really great tool. There's extensions that adds functionality as well.

What version of Dreamweaver??

I use Dreamweaver CC. I've found it to be a lot less memory intensive than the last few versions I've tried. I was very unhappy with CS5 & 6. Paid for the MC, and boy was that a waste!

For what sounds like you are doing, all you need is an editor.  Do you really need something to hold your hand and do it for you?

If you require a visual; aide, try brackets.

Thanks for the tip re: brackets.  I'm taking a web design and web programming class.  I know HTML and CSS because I have taken several web development classes including a class in Dreamweavr. However, design is a very different animal.  I have a Mac and have been using Dreamweaver CS5 but a lot of times the school I am in insists on Windows due to their servers, etc. I can't afford to upgrade to the Adobe Cloud at the moment, even at the student rate.  I downloaded Expression Studio 4 and Visual Studio 2013 Professional with Update 4 but while I think those will be fine for programming - if not there is always Notepad and Chrome - the Design aspect requires me to see what I am doing as I do it and my 30 days with Dreamweaver CC ran out. i don't use the WYSYWYG but I love the split screen for design. Brackets looks like it will be able to help me with the visual design aspects whenever I am forced to use my cheap school only PC.

I do find it odd that Brackets comes as an .msi file.  I thought only Microsoft came in .msi.  

Thanks for the tip re: brackets.  I'm taking a web design and web programming class.  I know HTML and CSS because I have taken several web development classes including a class in Dreamweavr. However, design is a very different animal.  I have a Mac and have been using Dreamweaver CS5 but a lot of times the school I am in insists on Windows due to their servers, etc. I can't afford to upgrade to the Adobe Cloud at the moment, even at the student rate.  I downloaded Expression Studio 4 and Visual Studio 2013 Professional with Update 4 but while I think those will be fine for programming - if not there is always Notepad and Chrome - the Design aspect requires me to see what I am doing as I do it and my 30 days with Dreamweaver CC ran out. i don't use the WYSYWYG but I love the split screen for design. Brackets looks like it will be able to help me with the visual design aspects whenever I am forced to use my cheap school only PC.

I do find it odd that Brackets comes as an .msi file.  I thought only Microsoft came in .msi.  

msi is the Windows version.

https://github.com/adobe/brackets/releases

You can see all of them here. They have javascript in place to download the correct platform but if it didnt work right you can just go here.

Also consider webstorm. If you are taking a class (and assuming you have an edu email address), you can get it free for a year.