Elementary OS Choice

How stable is Freya Beta 2 right now? How long before the next version?

I was trying to install Luna as it is not a beta, but it seems to have an issue detecting my ethernet connection. I believe due to it not liking Haswell Intel stuff.

So looking to test this with Freya, but can I use Freya as a everyday main system?

How stable is Freya Beta 2 right now? How long before the next version?

I was trying to install Luna as it is not a beta, but it seems to have an issue detecting my ethernet connection. I believe due to it not liking Haswell Intel stuff.

So looking to test this with Freya, but can I use Freya as a everyday main system?

I have a similar Asus board. It is a big hack to get that driver to work and requires you first to already have a connection to download the driver :-)

So I run Linux in a VM these days with VMWare workstation. There is free virtualbox as well. That OS just is not made for desktops and if I need to do web development or play with something I can and I can snapshot things before I make a mistake and go back versus running it as the host OS.

Dual booting is so year 2000.

Linux is not as it lacks an abi so it will break constantly. This means constant breakage as RMS feels a stable abi means binary closed source drivers. After 10 years I gave up.

If the drivers are closed source they will always break during a recompile. Xorg is a classic example too.

Macosx and Windows are the only solution for a desktop that is guaranteed to work

Naquis,

I can't find anything about RC1? Only Beta 2? Where?

Sinetheo, if you know what you are doing its fine. There is a way to install drivers that get recompiled.

There is no beta 3 for Freya. RC1 is in progress, might take just a little longer before everything is fixed.

As for the OP question, yes, you can use it just fine, I use it as my main system on a notebook since beta 1 and I had only minor issues, like some icons missing, nothing that would impact its functionality.

If you want to go with Luna, you can upgrade the kernel, as it brings a lot of hardware compatibility, but I wouldn't go that road, I recommend that you stick with Freya.

• Like 1