• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Ashes of the Singularity: New RTS from Stardock and Oxide Games

PGHammer    1,459
On 3/28/2018 at 2:45 PM, Island Dog said:

Check out this reflection on the game's design, development, and growth over the last 365(ish) days from lead designer Callum McCole: 

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/487742/

Y8TbAxj.jpg

Interesting thoughts.

Here's where I am (coming BACK to the game after nearly a year away - due to recovering from cancer surgeries, not because I hate the game, which I don't).

1.  One thing I did was switch permanently to DX12 (nVidia GPU - not AMD), as it is no longer a penalty to do so.  (No lag, no crashing, and it looks absatively GORGEOUS.)  The rather amusing thing is that my hardware did not change AT ALL (G3258, nV GTX 1050Ti, etc.) yet, framerates are up, along with stability.

2.  If you have DX12 hardware, you should no longer be afraid of it crashing on you, even on nVidia DX12 hardware.  (Apparently the last AMD-isms have been excised from the code, as even extended DX12 play doesn't result in *splat*; hence my moving my defaults to firewalled DX12.)

3.  Make sure your brain is awake; the AI is as nasty as ever.  (I warned of the AI in an earlier post - the warning still holds.)  It is STILL the nastiest AI in an RTS - and why I don't miss (and have not gone against) human oppositon so far - merely the AI is "evil" enough.  And no - the AI does NOT cheat - it can be beat; I've done so.  It's just HARD as the Dickens to do!

Ashes (with all the updates) still holds the spot as my preferred RTS - all the updates did was cement that place.

Island Dog    53

The v2.8 update for Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is here! Check out the improved visual clarity, vibrant building colors, and extensive balance updates. https://www.stardock.net/article/495066/

ashesesc_v28_01.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this