Note taking software

Question

I am looking for note taking software that automatically saves to text files. Basically I want something similar to OneNote in that I can create tabs, etc. but I want everything to be saved into a simple text file. Obviously formatting, images, etc. won't be possible but thats fine with me.

Anyone know of anything? A bonus would be something that can run as a portable app rather than something I need to install but that isn't a big thing.

15 answers to this question

I don't care about any formatting features to be honest. Clickable http:// links would be nice but again not a must have.

What I would love is a very simple editor with tabs that is portable and automatically saves all tabs transparently when I close it. I want it to be super fast to open also. This isn't for super serious work, I just want something that I can open, write or paste a bunch of text into and close without having to think about anything else. I just want something that I can do some basic organisation with (tabs) for quick brain dumps, etc.

In addition to the one that I posted, there's also ResophNotes and AceText

Can we ask why you want it to output to a text file? As you point out, you're going to lose all your formatting and that can end up being painful to deal with.

Can we also offer other solutions, like above? I find that Evernote's universal application allows for me to write notes wherever I am and always have them to hand. Just a thought, but maybe if you clarify your position we would understand why that would not be a reasonable solution. ;)

Can we ask why you want it to output to a text file? As you point out, you're going to lose all your formatting and that can end up being painful to deal with.

I want to be able to work with the files outside of the application that creates them. I don't really care about rich formatting. I add my own tweaks similar to markdown where needed.

I just found something called Zim (http://www.zim-wiki.org/) which looks very promising. It isn't the fastest or prettiest bit of software but it has the bonus of being multiplatform and open source which is nice :yes:

I want to be able to work with the files outside of the application that creates them. I don't really care about rich formatting. I add my own tweaks similar to markdown where needed.

But in that case a universal file extension like HTML could work, right? Again, I would give Evernote a go. I have no affiliation with the product, but it's universal and HTML as an export function could work very well - even including formatting.

That's the last I will say on the matter. I hope you find a solution that works for you. (Y)

I am looking for note taking software that automatically saves to text files. Basically I want something similar to OneNote in that I can create tabs, etc. but I want everything to be saved into a simple text file. Obviously formatting, images, etc. won't be possible but thats fine with me.

Anyone know of anything? A bonus would be something that can run as a portable app rather than something I need to install but that isn't a big thing.

What other kinds of features do you want?  And what formatting features do you want to keep?  There's quite a few that could fit your current feature set- but that's just because it's not really narrowed down.

Texthaven is one that I use a lot (http://www.texthaven.com).  It uses your own file system for the structure, and recognizes markdown.  But there's a few of them out there.

What other kinds of features do you want?  And what formatting features do you want to keep?  There's quite a few that could fit your current feature set- but that's just because it's not really narrowed down.

Texthaven is one that I use a lot (http://www.texthaven.com).  It uses your own file system for the structure, and recognizes markdown.  But there's a few of them out there.

I don't care about any formatting features to be honest. Clickable http:// links would be nice but again not a must have.

What I would love is a very simple editor with tabs that is portable and automatically saves all tabs transparently when I close it. I want it to be super fast to open also. This isn't for super serious work, I just want something that I can open, write or paste a bunch of text into and close without having to think about anything else. I just want something that I can do some basic organisation with (tabs) for quick brain dumps, etc.

OneDrive & NotePad++

this is best solution for your problem, i'm afraid; you can edit the txts with Notepad++ and save them in the cloud (Onedrive) so you can have them all handy (accesible by a tablet, computer, smartphone, etc.).

ResophNotes is looking great! Thank you for that, might have found exactly what I am after :yes:

I am loving ResophNotes. This is exactly what I want and more! Even has nice markdown support built in! Saves to text files and is super fast. Thank you so much wraith808 :)

And what's wrong with OneNote? Anyway, there are a lot of similar programs. The one I like most is called CintaNotes. It's just a simple note-taking tool with tabs and tags.

Unlike OneNote, CintaNotes keeps these elements in a straightforward hierarchy. Like this:

1.thumb.png.e42b70366a230445be54d648f443

CintaNotes stores notes in a notebook file, but if you just want your text, you can export notes in a simple text file.

2.thumb.png.ca94b6a428cdde216fa5a6faafd8

And yes, there is a portable version of the program, so you can work, say, from your flash drive.

Hope this was helpful!