Bridging connections - Windows 7 says I don't have permissions, even though I'm admin

Hi!

I'm going to try and be short and precise about this.

I've got a computer with dual ethernet. 

1 is connected to a router.

2 is connected to a second computer (I don't want to connect the second computer to the router).

I do not want the first computer to use/be using ICS even though it would simplify things.

Sometimes the second computer , which is connected to the first, needs internet access, which I would like to give him through bridging the two ethernet connections (ports) from first computer.

When I try to do so, Windows complains that i do not have the required privileges for configuring the network. I have absolutely no other problems with the computer. 

I've already checked all the group policies as well as the security policies for the respective account. Everything is in order.

What gives? Am I missing something? Last time I checked (and I re-checked on another workstation and things worked smoothly) there shouldn't be any problem bridging two connections.

Any ideas about whats causing this?

Thanks for your time.

You should just connect the second PC to the router.

I imagine you'd need to use a crossover cable as well if you want to run it in the config you're doing. 

2 is connected to a second computer (I don't want to connect the second computer to the router).

You should just connect the second PC to the router.

I imagine you'd need to use a crossover cable as well if you want to run it in the config you're doing. 

And not wishing to sound rude, if I know the basics of distinguishing between ICS and bridging, it would be safe to assume that I would know what a crossover cable is. Not to mention, the nics I'm using are auto-mdix compliant.

Never really understand why anyone would need to do this when you can go get a gig switch for $20..  Why are you dealing with trying to bridge an interface, and why wouldn't a computer you use always want internet.  Go get a switch.

As to your bridge error..  How exactly are you trying to bridge them, and what exact error do you get?  So to bridge 2 interfaces, highlight them, click bridge - can you post screen shot of your error.  As to access denied - neither of these interfaces have be used in ICS?  You didn't like turn off UAC did you? 

post-14624-0-72754900-1426070065.png

Again - just go get a switch..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704179

$20, 5 Star rating on newegg..  Free shipping..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250

$20 again 5 stars 362 ratings, Free shipping..  Why are you wasting time trying to bridge interfaces?  I just don't get it.

Never really understand why anyone would need to do this when you can go get a gig switch for $20..  Why are you dealing with trying to bridge an interface, and why wouldn't a computer you use always want internet.  Go get a switch.

As to your bridge error..  How exactly are you trying to bridge them, and what exact error do you get?  So to bridge 2 interfaces, highlight them, click bridge - can you post screen shot of your error.  As to access denied - neither of these interfaces have be used in ICS?  You didn't like turn off UAC did you? 

attachicon.gifnetworkbridge.png

Again - just go get a switch..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704179

$20, 5 Star rating on newegg..  Free shipping..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250

$20 again 5 stars 362 ratings, Free shipping..  Why are you wasting time trying to bridge interfaces?  I just don't get it.

Yes I could get a switch, but that's not what this is about right now.

I could even, like I said, connect the second computer to the router. But I don't want to do that.

I would have love not to ingress in a futile writing as it is completely out of scope to deal and solve the above posted situation.

My routers are regular 100mpbs devices. They work flawlessly, all my network is running happy and there is no need to shell out a couple hundred bucks (sorry I don't like cheap routers) for a couple of them. So happens my NICS are Gigabit.

Between these two computers mentioned I want and need to take advantage of that.

Yes I could solve and I am solving my issues with ICS.

But again, that's not what this thread is about.

Now:

I've tried the same setup on two different workstations, with the same hardware. Workstation 1 fails. Workstation 2 happily creates a network bridge.

With every problem arises a chance to learn something new. What I want to discover, comprehend, etc, right now is: why is Windows on Workstation 1 shutting me out from creating a network bridge.

• I'm using an account with administrative rights.
  • I've even tried using the built-in administrator account.
  • Even though I use UAC off by default I tried turning it on.
  • I've checked group policy and local security policies for any misconfigured network settings.
  • Bot network interfaces have ICS turned off.

And I know how to create a network bridge.

The message that is given is: "You do not have administrative privileges for configuring connection properties. Please contact your administrator."

Discussion apart from this being a proper or not solution, what I would like right now is to understand why is Windows doing this, what is wrong with it, and correct it. There isn't indeed a real need to use a bridge, but if arised or if it was, i'd be in a pinch. That's what I'm trying to solve and discover.

Burying my head in the sand with ICS or a switch doesn't solve anything, with all due respect.

This isn't a problem.  You choose to not do it correctly.  You have the easiest solutions and yet you want to go down this futile road. 

The correct solution would be to directly connect it to a switch or a router. 

The next best solution would be to use ics.

Your computer was not meant to be used as a router to be able to route traffic between the internet and another computer without ics.  This is not an issue, nor should it be an issue you are trying to solve. You want routing capabilities, use a server or a router distro.

server:

http://blog.pluralsight.com/windows-server-2008-as-a-lan-router-running-rip

router distro:

https://www.pfsense.org/

"Even though I use UAC off by default I"

This is a problem if you ask me - why would you turn off UAC? And you wonder why you have problems?? What else have you "tweaked" ??

Are you running some 3rd party "security" software, what do you run for antivirus for example. My point of bringing up using a switch is because what your doing is really pointless. Windows to be honest shouldn't even support bridging, its a USER OS, users should not be bridging interfaces ;) If they wanted to support it on their Server OS ok.

I hear you, since its a support feature, it should work be it the right solution to the problem or not. But when you stated you normally turn off UAC, sorry but my knee jerk reaction you have dicked up your setup. There is NO LEGIT reason to disable UAC, NONE PERIOD!!! Doing so only points to the user having to much access without the skill set to comprehend what they are doing. Sorry but that is my honest knee jerk opinion for anyone that would be doing that. Back when UAC first came out I didn't like it either, but you really should not be turning it off.

I like to hear that you take as opportunity to learn something. Tracking down the root cause of the error could be hard, have you messed with your dcom permissions?

This youtube seems to be showing your exact issue - trying to bridge with access denied.

edit:  seems the youttube link is not showing for me?

it did before - him

here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJCZQNlt9o
  • Like 2

This isn't a problem.  You choose to not do it correctly.  You have the easiest solutions and yet you want to go down this futile road. 

The correct solution would be to directly connect it to a switch or a router. 

The next best solution would be to use ics.

Your computer was not meant to be used as a router to be able to route traffic between the internet and another computer without ics.  This is not an issue, nor should it be an issue you are trying to solve. You want routing capabilities, use a server or a router distro.

server:

http://blog.pluralsight.com/windows-server-2008-as-a-lan-router-running-rip

router distro:

https://www.pfsense.org/

I know very well what you're saying, I knew it beforehand and I've been, at least I thought I had been, explicit enough about the subject.

It's not a matter of wanting to do things the wrong way. 

It's a matter of knowing why is Windows complaining about permissions and locking me out of said actions by stating that I do not have admin permissions when everything that at the moment I cant relate with the subject is properly configured.

Once again, and tested on machines with similar hardware, there aren't any problems with doing so. And yes, yet another time, I know it isn't the right way, nor do I have the strict need to do it this way.

I want to know what could lead to the issue of Windows complaining about permissions.

This is a problem if you ask me - why would you turn off UAC? And you wonder why you have problems?? What else have you "tweaked" ??

Are you running some 3rd party "security" software, what do you run for antivirus for example. My point of bringing up using a switch is because what your doing is really pointless. Windows to be honest shouldn't even support bridging, its a USER OS, users should not be bridging interfaces  ;) If they wanted to support it on their Server OS ok.

I hear you, since its a support feature, it should work be it the right solution to the problem or not. But when you stated you normally turn off UAC, sorry but my knee jerk reaction you have dicked up your setup. There is NO LEGIT reason to disable UAC, NONE PERIOD!!! Doing so only points to the user having to much access without the skill set to comprehend what they are doing. Sorry but that is my honest knee jerk opinion for anyone that would be doing that. Back when UAC first came out I didn't like it either, but you really should not be turning it off.

I like to hear that you take as opportunity to learn something. Tracking down the root cause of the error could be hard, have you messed with your dcom permissions?

This youtube seems to be showing your exact issue - trying to bridge with access denied.

it did before - him

here it is

If I didn't know these forums better I'd say you'd be joking me. I'm doing questions, mentioning stuff and terms that clearly surpass the average Joe and his deals with OS's. And you're saying my problem is because I turned the UAC off.

Why would I mess with component services (what you are calling dcom settings). And yes I had already checked and they're all set at standard.

This is why I stopped participating on forums.

This is why I stopped participating on forums.

A didn't say you purposely messed with your com/dcom perms, but its possible they got messed up. If your messing with stuff like turning of UAC, what else might you have done. My point was anyone dicking with those is more likely to have dicked with other stuff.

Did you watch the video? it is your EXACT PROBLEM.. Try to bridge and gets permissions issue.

Sorry I was brief in my description of what exact settings. But you get to them by running dcomcnfg -- so really your going to call me out on that the tab allows you to edit both component services and dcom?

So can you edit your interfaces properties, ie ipv4 for example in the video the properties tab when you highlight ipv4 on your interface is greyed out.

As to you not participating in forums -- yeah its been so boring without you here.. Not sure what we will all do if you stop posting.. ;)

A didn't say you purposely messed with your com/dcom perms, but its possible they got messed up. If your messing with stuff like turning of UAC, what else might you have done. My point was anyone dicking with those is more likely to have dicked with other stuff.

Did you watch the video? it is your EXACT PROBLEM.. Try to bridge and gets permissions issue.

Sorry I was brief in my description of what exact settings. But you get to them by running dcomcnfg -- so really your going to call me out on that the tab allows you to edit both component services and dcom?

So can you edit your interfaces properties, ie ipv4 for example in the video the properties tab when you highlight ipv4 on your interface is greyed out.

As to you not participating in forums -- yeah its been so boring without you here.. Not sure what we will all do if you stop posting.. ;)

dcom setting are acessed through component services snap-ip.

My dcom settings are bone stock. Didn't need to watch that video to know what I was looking at. Nonetheless indeed I had watched that video before posting here.

It is not my exact problem.

Again, forums are, because of the example this thread turned into, a last resort.

OS has been running happily, stable, with no problems whatsoever since February 2012. And nothing else is abnormal on the system. Everything else works just like it should. No greyed out options. No conflicts. Nothing.

By your line of thought, a mechanic that knows what he is doing, shouldn't also take the plastic engine cover because it is useless.

I'd be tremendously thankful if you happened to offer any productive insight instead of maintaining a subreptitious flame attempt.

A mechanic, who know what he is doing, puts things back the way he found it after he has done fixing things...plastic cover and all.  A shade tree mechanic, one that guesses and can take an engine apart but can't put it back together, leaves things like the plastic cover off as well as other things..always with more bolts, hoses, and other plastic and metal doodads extra.

Budman is the mechanic who knows what he is doing.  From what I am reading and how you are carrying yourself, you are on the other side of things...trying to get to the mechanic level...know enough to be dangerous but not enough to fix the issue or what roads not to go down or how to get back after you have gone down that road.  I am not trying to gang up on you, just calling it as I see it...I apologize if it offends you in any way.

• Like 1

I'd be tremendously thankful if you happened to offer any productive insight instead of maintaining a subreptitious flame attempt.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. That's my only advice on the "bridge" or "ICS" issue since you have a router right there.

On another note, try making another admin account and see if maybe it's a corrupt admin account/profile.

A mechanic, who know what he is doing, puts things back the way he found it after he has done what he needs...plastic cover and all.  A shade tree mechanic, one that guesses and can take an engine apart but can't put it back together, leaves things like the plastic cover off as well as other things. 

And an inept mechanic uses a jack hammer to remove a Philips head screw, when he has a Philipshead screwdriver sitting right next to him.

Dude, just get a switch already. Keep it simple, you're over complicating things. Jeez.

• Like 1

And an inept mechanic uses a jack hammer to remove a Philips head screw, when he has a Philipshead screwdriver sitting right next to him.

No, they saw it out...taking out the part and anything else that it is connected to...they can find the saw easier because it is bigger and stands out more than the screwdriver they forgot in their back pocket. :p

• Like 1

Are you running some 3rd party "security" software, what do you run for antivirus for example. My point of bringing up using a switch is because what your doing is really pointless. Windows to be honest shouldn't even support bridging, its a USER OS, users should not be bridging interfaces ;) If they wanted to support it on their Server OS ok.

it did before - him

here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJCZQNlt9o

I was going to post this exact video. Nice job as always Bud! I was hoping the OP might follow the steps in the video as it seems to be the fix for his issue. Oh well.

• Like 1

Not even worth a multi-quote.

I know the ropes, maintain several systems. They've been working for years without any issues.

You can't provide insight so you bash. That's some proper forum etiquette right there.

I want to find out why Windows is complaining about permission when all the related settings are properly set. But I'm the inept.

:D

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Attempting to do something that isn't standard practice or recommended then bash when you don't like suggestions..that too is helpful. Helps us want to help you more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, people can't help someone that doesn't want help. 

Anyway why would you even want to do it, there are no real-life situations in which you would need to do it. In all the years I've been around computers I only did it once, and it wasn't even the right solution to use. Was just a quick fix when I wanted to connect a device that didn't have wifi, but didn't have an ethernet cable long enough, got the cable the next day.

From reading these forums for a while it's easy to see that BudMan knows a lot about this stuff.

Guess he got it fixed or bought a switch..  I don't get it, you come here for help.  But then when people offer you can not be bother to answer a simple question or post a simple screenshot of your error.

I clearly asked him if he could change the properties if IPv4 - if so that tells me his account has permissions, etc.  If he didn't have permissions to change those then his account he was using just doesn't have permissions, etc.  If did change ipv4 properties - but could not bridge, then have to dig deep for his issue. 

But can not help those that jump down, and didn't even watch the video at first, etc. When clearly its is exactly what he described.  Slight wording difference in the error maybe, but that could have been lost in translation.

But it has been so loney without him posting, don't know what I will do if he doesn't come back ;)

• Jim K locked this topic