February 2014 NPD

It was another strong month for Sony, as its console continues to dominate.

Consumers spent $955.6 million on new retail games and hardware at U.S. retailers in February, according to industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. That
  • Like 2

Important Notes:

This is U.S. retail sales only.  (no digital unless otherwise noted)

Bundles count only toward the hardware.

The order of the platforms in the parenthesis after the game title is in order of highest selling to lowest selling so Evolve sold best on Xbox One and worst on PC for example.

Software:

1.The Legend of Zelda: Majora

do u have a source for that? Would love to read that

I believe the original source is leakers on NeoGAF.  I don't have a specific user name if that's what you're looking for.  I did note they were LEAKED numbers though and not official so certainly take them with a grain of salt.  We aren't going to get any official numbers though so that's probably as good as we're going to get.  Believe them or not as you wish I'm not going to try to defend leaked numbers, I just thought people might be interested.

This shows just how sluggish the PS3 started in America

NPD%20PS2%20PS3%20PS4_zps68dxokx4.jpg

All consoles in America

NPD%207amp_zpssv4p2v65.jpg

• Like 2

This shows just how sluggish the PS3 started in America

I don't think the PS3 ever sold well in America compared to the Xbox 360. The PS3 eventually essentially tied the Xbox 360 WORLDWIDE but that's because it won in pretty much every other region besides the U.S. not because it eventually started selling well compared to the 360 in the U.S.

That's one of the reasons it's so shocking that the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One in the U.S. Not even Sony was expecting that. Pretty much everyone assumed that it would break pretty similarly to the 360/PS3 matchup with Xbox One winning the U.S. and PlayStation 4 winning everywhere else.

It's a real problem for MS that they can't seem to win even the U.S. market consistently if they want to win the generation. Especially now that they're also $50 cheaper.

If that chart is accurate, and if rumors are accurate that Sony is close to 50% market share worldwide, then they are absolutely destroying Microsoft in console sales outside the US, and if they ever actually get their act together AAA-exclusive-wise, we could see another runaway situation somewhere between PS2 and Wii levels.

Nice to see the Xbox sales up over 2014, and over January 84%. Beating out the 360 is a tough thing to do, but they are doing it. They need to do more than just sell well in Europe and US though.

If that chart is accurate, and if rumors are accurate that Sony is close to 50% market share worldwide, then they are absolutely destroying Microsoft in console sales outside the US, and if they ever actually get their act together AAA-exclusive-wise, we could see another runaway situation somewhere between PS2 and Wii levels.

It's been pretty clear for a long time already that Sony is crushing it everywhere outside the US...

It's been pretty clear for a long time already that Sony is crushing it everywhere outside the US...

I knew they were winning, but the idea of them nearly hitting 50% market share didn't really occur to me.  That said, I don't know when MS last released official numbers, so it's all estimates at this point.  And that chart shows only about, what, a 600k difference in the US?  Meaning a nearly 8 million lead in the rest of the world?  Damn.

I don't think the PS3 ever sold well in America compared to the Xbox 360. The PS3 eventually essentially tied the Xbox 360 WORLDWIDE but that's because it won in pretty much every other region besides the U.S. not because it eventually started selling well compared to the 360 in the U.S.

That's one of the reasons it's so shocking that the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One in the U.S. Not even Sony was expecting that. Pretty much everyone assumed that it would break pretty similarly to the 360/PS3 matchup with Xbox One winning the U.S. and PlayStation 4 winning everywhere else.

It's a real problem for MS that they can't seem to win even the U.S. market consistently if they want to win the generation. Especially now that they're also $50 cheaper.

Nope

Gen%207%20USA_zpscc4b4y6h.jpg

Nope

Gen%207%20USA_zpscc4b4y6h.jpg

It was pretty bad but to be fair that graph makes it look even worse than it was.  To be fair you'd have to shift the start of the blue line back to the green so you have "Months since launch (Aligned)" like in your first set of graphs.  Xbox still wins but it's not as big of a gap as the above graph looks on casual glance.  It really is amazing the PS4 is selling so well in the U.S. given the countries Xbox preference last gen though.  A lot of talking heads are saying a big part of that isn't Xbox switchers but people with Wii coming to PS4 instead of Wii U... I'm not convinced that's the case but it's an interesting theory.

It was pretty bad but to be fair that graph makes it look even worse than it was. To be fair you'd have to shift the start of the blue line back to the green so you have "Months since launch (Aligned)" like in your first set of graphs. Xbox still wins but it's not as big of a gap as the above graph looks on casual glance. It really is amazing the PS4 is selling so well in the U.S. given the countries Xbox preference last gen though. A lot of talking heads are saying a big part of that isn't Xbox switchers but people with Wii coming to PS4 instead of Wii U... I'm not convinced that's the case but it's an interesting theory.

More likely it's gamers who went PS2 to 360 coming back to PS4.

More likely it's gamers who went PS2 to 360 coming back to PS4.

Wouldn't 360 people upgrade to XB1, in most cases?

Considering the XB1 is outselling the 360, that seems like the most likely case.