Wireless AP

Okay so I have a pretty decent sized house and my wireless network won't reach every room as much as I would like. I have an internet connection of 150Mbps but my XB1 only get's about 65Mbps down. I have an old N600 and I turned it into a wireless AP but everywhere I read, it tells me the AP has to be connected to the router. That defeats the point. Do I need to just buy a repeater or two or can I use the N600?

Thanks!

I would get a powerline adapter, myself, then hardwire the Xbox.  Yes, you can use repeaters, but typically they'll reduce your throughput and increase latency somewhat.  I can't say exactly how much, as I don't use repeaters typcally.  Is your router wireless as well?  You can use the N600 as a repeater, maybe, but in my experience, to make things work the best, you'll want to use the same models of repeaters. 

That all being said, if the wiring in your hour sucks, then powerline might not be the best, either.

http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294?Tpk=powerline

Surely, Budman or someone else with have better info.

I would get a powerline adapter, myself, then hardwire the Xbox.  Yes, you can use repeaters, but typically they'll reduce your throughput and increase latency somewhat.  I can't say exactly how much, as I don't use repeaters typcally.  Is your router wireless as well?  You can use the N600 as a repeater, maybe, but in my experience, to make things work the best, you'll want to use the same models of repeaters. 

That all being said, if the wiring in your hour sucks, then powerline might not be the best, either.

http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294?Tpk=powerline

Wiring in the house is great and yeah the wireless signal goes from 24Mbps-65Mbps so far but my connection is 150Mbps. Do I just plug that in the wall and connect the ethernet cable?

You think your going to get 150Mbps over wireless?  Does XB1 have AC wireless? What is your wireless router your using now? How many streams does your wireless router have, what does the xb1 have for streams?

If you repeat the wireless it is an instant /2 of your possible bandwidth. How many other wifi clients are running - are you on 2.4ghz or 5.  Are you running 40mhz or not?

Your best best is get a WIRE to it, it has a gig interface right - then if you have 150mbpx internet you should be rocking 150mbps no problem.  Yes powerline just plug into a power socket one near you router (is it gig lan ports?)  What router do you have?  Then another one near your xb1 and plug in the ethernet there.

These new ones do have gig interfaces, and have seen benchmarks of 150+ mbps over them.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA6010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00IBPLI48

TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT AV600 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Up to 600Mbps, Gigabit Ports, Plug and Play, Power Saving Mode

https://www.avforums.com/review/tp-link-tl-pa6010kit-powerline-adaptor-review.9349

We saw excellent download speeds of 164Mbps, peaking around 170Mbps, and for uploads we achieved an equally impressive 158Mbps.

• Like 1

You think your going to get 150Mbps over wireless?  Does XB1 have AC wireless? What is your wireless router your using now? How many streams does your wireless router have, what does the xb1 have for streams?

If you repeat the wireless it is an instant /2 of your possible bandwidth. How many other wifi clients are running - are you on 2.4ghz or 5.  Are you running 40mhz or not?

Your best best is get a WIRE to it, it has a gig interface right - then if you have 150mbpx internet you should be rocking 150mbps no problem.  Yes powerline just plug into a power socket one near you router (is it gig lan ports?)  What router do you have?  Then another one near your xb1 and plug in the ethernet there.

These new ones do have gig interfaces, and have seen benchmarks of 150+ mbps over them.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA6010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00IBPLI48

TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT AV600 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Up to 600Mbps, Gigabit Ports, Plug and Play, Power Saving Mode

https://www.avforums.com/review/tp-link-tl-pa6010kit-powerline-adaptor-review.9349

We saw excellent download speeds of 164Mbps, peaking around 170Mbps, and for uploads we achieved an equally impressive 158Mbps.

Budman to the rescue!

I don't know if it has AC wireless, I'm using a Netgear N600 router right now, don't know how many streams for either one. I am getting 65Mbps wireless to the XB1 and 4 clients are running at any given moment. 4 Roku sticks for 4 bedrooms, 2 laptops, a couple cell phones and tablets. The laptop is running 2.4 and so are most of the Roku Sticks, my phone uses 5G and so does the XB1 and yeah I'm running 40Mhz.

I checked out the power-line alternative and I see that it's a great alternative and I think imma go that route. I still want to repeat the wireless so I might connect the Ethernet to the power-line in the living room to the router and put it on the entertainment center and then connect a line from the router to the XB1 <~ Did that make sense? Lol

Do not REPEAT wireless if you want bandwith.. Its an instant /2, so for example if your seeing 65 it would be 32 from a repeater. If you need better wireless coverage in an area, run a wire or use use powerline adapters that can provide more bandwidth than your new AP can, etc.

• Like 1

Do not REPEAT wireless if you want bandwith.. Its an instant /2, so for example if your seeing 65 it would be 32 from a repeater. If you need better wireless coverage in an area, run a wire or use use powerline adapters that can provide more bandwidth than your new AP can, etc.

Okay, let me get this straight. I'm gonna take your advice and plug in the powerline and run it directly to the XB1. But, I wanna clear something up. So you're saying, if I decided to powerline to an extra router, just to increase range, it would cut my wireless signal even more than it's already cut? I thought the Ethernet connection from the powerline to whatever it's connected to is just like connecting directly from the modem? 

My understanding is, the closer the clients are to the router, the stronger the connection. So if I connect a powerline directly to a router about 5 feet from the XB1, shouldn't I get pretty good speeds? Again, I'm gonna do what you suggested, just curious and trying to get some understanding. 

no if you run a wire your fine, be it powerline or ethernet.

So on the left is BAD and cut your wifi bandwidth /2 instant for the bottom machine. Since the wifi AP can not talk to client and the router its a client at same time since wifi is half duplex. Now with enterprise grade or some AP if you used say 5ghz band for the wifi uplink and 2.4 clients you could be ok.

But the way on the right is what you want. Where that wired connection exceeds the bandwidth the wireless on the bottom can provide. Doesn't do you any good to connect them at 10/100 if your wanting over 100mbit wifi ;)

post-14624-0-96259900-1426522928.png

As to distance from AP, too close can be bad too.

Keep in mind that if the PC on the top is talking to the client on the bottom at the left its even worse!! Be /4, wifi to wifi is bad for bandwith because its half duplex and shared. So for example if you want to stream movies to a wifi box, where it pulls the movies from should be connected to network via wire. If its on same wifi network they have to share bandwidth so each only gets /2 of what they could get if they were only client on the wifi. Wifi is good to check your email on your phone, browse some sites on your tablet, play COC, etc. But if its not mobile it should be wired plan and simple.

edit

Seems my edits went missing for that other drawing

Lets for example say you have 100mbps internet, and gig router with wifi that can do 50mbps to make it eaay to talk about. So client C can get 100mbps to the internet no problem

If client A was talking to the internet or client C he could do 50mbps. But if A is talking to B they could only do 25mbps each, if A and was talking to C, while B was talking to C they could only do 25mbps each.

post-14624-0-38037900-1426523493.png

• Like 1

I believe you can get multiple powerline receivers from one sender, also.  So you can add a second receiver, then plug you extra router into it.  Or get one with more than one port.  Then run the AP and XBox off that adapter. 

Just use the same SSID and WPA information as your other router, then should connect to whatever is closer.

Yeah you can add more to your powerline, that is how they come up with the 500mbps total when they only have 10/100 interface. But its kind of BS marketing if you ask me, since most people only get 2 of them.