Windows 10 build 10041 - System/hard locks

Well, I didn't have any issues with build 9926 either, but we're discussing build 10041 here, mate ;)

opps Both systems are/where 10041 btw... Prety much Identical hardware.

hers has a FX 4100 .. mine a FX-8350

I can relate so much to this issue. 

For me the 10041 improved in-game FPS by about 20-40% in window mode at the expense of having very choppy video playback unless the window playing video has focus (tested VLC, Chrome, Opera and IE). Since I play a lot of games while watching either movies or streaming twitch/youtube/netflix this can be very frustrating.

Anyway, I have noticed that the locks happen more often / easier if I do things like move a windows playing a video between monitor and the other, go from full screen playback to windowed mode, start another browser while video is playing on browser #1 (like start IE while chrome is playing youtube).

They are obviously working hard at optimizing how different processes can access HWA at the same time, in 99xx I would get about 40 fps less in a game whenever I played a youtube video in chrome, this is largely gone in this build.

I believe reinstalling or resetting windows is not going to solve much here, it will either be fixed by a driver update or dx12 itself needs to be patched. 

Well the recovery usb is completely useless.

Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>System Restore

"To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system and then select System Restore."

Yeah, except there's no menu to choose which OS now.

Troubleshoot>Roll back to the previous build

"We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build. Try refreshing your current build instead"

Trying the refresh gives..

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

Erm.....Eh!?!?? Does it mean my SSD, the recovery media, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10? No useful info whatsoever.

Troubleshoot>Reset your PC

"Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

That's nice, well I didn't delete any partitions so....erm....WTF?!

Troubleshoot>Reinstall Windows 10 Technical Preview with this media

Just does nothing and goes back to the main menu straight away.

Startup Repair made no difference at all

Back to Windows 8.1 for me I think, I'll wait till the final release and final (TESTED) drivers. Now to try to hunt down a Windows 8.1 legit iso.

Did you plug your recovery USB into a USB3 port? because those symptoms are exactly what I got when I mistakenly did just that. After retrying in a USB2 port it all worked as it should.

• Like 1

I only have Intel graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4400) but I too get very very frequent hard lock-ups on build 10041 as mentioned. Disabling the display adapter as a workaround for now.

Using a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga, Intel HD, no Nvidia, and locks up ALL the time, so I'm another that can say it's not an Nvidia only issue unfortunately.  Going to work through some of the things people have posted here and elsewhere to see what I can find that may work in the interim period....

I'm running an AMD 280X with the stock driver currently.  I may try the current beta and see how that goes but I'm hoping the crash data is going somewhere.  They fixed the 'I have to unplug my monitor from sleep' in this build at least.

One of todays patches might improve these issues. Anyone tested them?

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050284

Improvements
  • This update resolves a problem that may result in a transparent Start screen and Task view, transparencies when snapping or dragging windows, and can cause desktop thumbnails to appear as black squares.
  • This update resolves a problem that results in severe graphical artifacts on screen when Magnifier is launched in docked or lens mode.
  • This update contains a reliability improvement to resolve a common system crash.

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050284

Improvements
  • This update resolves a problem that may result in a transparent Start screen and Task view, transparencies when snapping or dragging windows, and can cause desktop thumbnails to appear as black squares.
  • This update resolves a problem that results in severe graphical artifacts on screen when Magnifier is launched in docked or lens mode.
  • This update contains a reliability improvement to resolve a common system crash.

Anybody know whether these updates fix the problem as of yet? I'm really wanting to re-install, but don't really want to have to do it twice.

Anybody know whether these updates fix the problem as of yet? I'm really wanting to re-install, but don't really want to have to do it twice.

Didn't work for me :/

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050284

Improvements

• This update resolves a problem that results in severe graphical artifacts on screen when Magnifier is launched in docked or lens mode.

No, those updates don't fix the problem. I tested myself yesterday and Gabe confirmed it to me on Twitter as well.

I've had system lockups with Windows 10 Build 10041 also.

And I wanted to share my workaround for the hard locks that I was experiencing.

It might help you. It might not. Because my research indicates that there are multiple sources of the problem; multiple bugs.

Anyway, for me, it was hard locking when transitioning into turning off the screen.

My workaround is: Change the Power Option "Turn off the display" to be set to "Never".

Ever since I did that, I've had no more lockups.

NVIDIA GTX 970, Windows 10 Build 10041, drivers 349.90 from Windows Update.

I've also confirmed that the recent patches do nothing to prevent the lockups, for my particular lockup bug.

Regards,

Jacob

I got new drivers for my nVidia 660 along with the update.

I have not had any crashes since the update. So far it looks like the update fixed whatever bugs caused my hard-locks. 

I got new drivers for my nVidia 660 along with the update.

I have not had any crashes since the update. So far it looks like the update fixed whatever bugs caused my hard-locks. 

Noob question, how do you prevent Windows Update from acquiring WDDM 2.0 drivers again? Tricks I knew for 9926 won't work in 10041 anymore.

I can Confirm my System is still running Stable with the AMD Catalyst-Omega-14.12-Without-DOTNet45-Win8.1-64bit Driver installed

I didn't Disable installing the V2.0 Driver i let it install then Upgraded to this drive Via setup.exe and it replaced it.

I can Confirm my System is still running Stable with the AMD Catalyst-Omega-14.12-Without-DOTNet45-Win8.1-64bit Driver installed

I didn't Disable installing the V2.0 Driver i let it install then Upgraded to this drive Via setup.exe and it replaced it.

Yeah, but when you run Windows Update, doesn't download and install the WDDM 2.0 drivers again?

On my side, I found out that f.lux was causing the hard locks/freezing. I stopped using it for now, and disabled auto-start and so far so good. I had no problem with f.lux in previous builds, only in 10041.

Noob question, how do you prevent Windows Update from acquiring WDDM 2.0 drivers again? Tricks I knew for 9926 won't work in 10041 anymore.

I didnt prevent it, I updated with the driver it suggested.

For the record my PC still freezes up, especially if I load up a video, a game and a browser at the same time.

I've been locking up too and I was considering a fresh install of 9926 and sticking with the slow ring but then I found this article:

http://www.inferse.com/23742/windows-10-tech-preview-support-lumia-series-project-spartan/

There's a few stability patches that were added so I figured I'd go ahead with it. Last night I just did a fresh install and updated to the 10041 from the slow ring and I am still locking up. Total BS.

Some people are testing nVidia drivers. I have an AMD and it's still locking up the same exact way as OP stated. I would install 9926 again and choose not to update but I don't think you can bypass the slow ring updates. If that's the case I'll just have to go back to Windows 8.1 since My server VM is constantly getting power cycled due to this.

I downloaded the 10041 ISO and installed fresh using that. I don't seem to be having any issues anymore. I am using only the AMD drivers from windows update but this time around I don't have the CCC installed. Some good news for anyone staying on the slow ring. I wouldn't blame you either; Spartan is kinda crap right now.

I downloaded the 10041 ISO and installed fresh using that. I don't seem to be having any issues anymore. I am using only the AMD drivers from windows update but this time around I don't have the CCC installed. Some good news for anyone staying on the slow ring. I wouldn't blame you either; Spartan is kinda crap right now.

10041 or 10049? I'm only asking because I haven't got the chance to try the new build and see if the crash has been resolved. At least, not yet.