Germanwings/Lufthansa A320 down in France

How so? I don't see an issue. Plane develops a fault, plane and/or pilot raises a call and then they lose it. 

The media reporting on this is painful - "We don't know anything yet, we don't know if there are survivors" then "This could be terrorists and everybody is dead"

Why strange? The plane had a problem, distress call placed, it then crashed.

As I said in my previous post:

It says in the article posted here that it declared a distress (presumably a mayday) at 5,000ft, but it said it was over the Alps having taken off from Barcelona and flying to D

A distress call was received by ATC. Very strange .. take a look at this ... lost signal at 6,800ft

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/d-aipx/#5d42675

Why is the strange, its doing exactly what the reports say happened... give or take a few hundred feet.

The plane issued a distress call at 10:47 (09:47 GMT), the French interior ministry said, although details have not been released.

The interior ministry said debris had been located at an altitude of 2,000m (6,500ft). BBC

Edit: actually fair point the timing is out flight track shows the end of the track at 9:41 UTC, BBC says distress call at 9:47 6 mins later.

Probably people still trying to get their facts straight, but there is a bit of an oddity at the moment.

As for the report of a distress call at 5000ft, that's probably just a typo. especially since it seems to have actually crashed higher than that.

Holy....

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

I'm no expert, and I'm not saying the TV shows on air accidents are the things to base everything on, but I've seen images of crashes and the images I can see of this, says that plane wasn't exactly intact before it hit the ground. If it was, it must have hit pretty hard.

I've seen stuff about an unexplained descent from 38,000ft to 6000ft where contact was lost but it doesn't say how quick that descent was and that despite earlier claims, there was no mayday.

Latest update is that there was no distress call received!

The plane did not send out a distress signal, officials said. Earlier reports of a distress call, quoting the French interior ministry, referred to a message from controllers on the ground.

I'm no expert, and I'm not saying the TV shows on air accidents are the things to base everything on, but I've seen images of crashes and the images I can see of this, says that plane wasn't exactly intact before it hit the ground. If it was, it must have hit pretty hard.

Actually if it breaks up in the air, the pieces are generally larger as they impact at a slower speed (given being alone, most parts of the plane are not aerodynamic). If it stays (mostly) intact, unless it's a controlled crash it generally hits at the higher speeds, and breaks apart into much smaller pieces on impact.

We hear more about plane accident ever than before because of a lot of air accidents lately and mainly Malaysian planes crashed/disappearance that started.

When Flight 93 nosed into a Pennsylvania farmers field on 9/11 the pieces were as small or smaller than that.

ugh gawd I remember that, not that far from me... all the smoke media coverage body parts all over the place...

We hear more about plane accident ever than before because of a lot of air accidents lately and mainly Malaysian planes crashed/disappearance that started.

not really, anytime a commercial flight is downed it's all over the media... this isn't a recent thing since Malaysian Airs last two disasters

The fact that there's little to nothing left means that it was traveling very fast when it hit. 

People seem to think that airplanes are tough, they're not, they're extremely fragile and it's easy to do lots of damage to them. The reason why some aircraft look intact after a crash is because they're in a phase of flight where they're already slow and prepped for landing (accidents that happen on approach) or the pilots are trying to recover the aircraft (pulling up to initiate a climb also substantially slows the aircraft)  If there's controlled flight into terrain (which is what this looks like) during cruise flight (aircraft is going very fast) there's not going to be much of anything left.

ugh gawd I remember that, not that far from me... all the smoke media coverage body parts all over the place...

>

You should have seen NWA 255. That was horrid. Much of our on-call staff was immediately sent the scene, but we ended up searching for remains.

Was it terrorists?

:/  When it turns out to be the economics, skimping on maintenance, I consider it a economic terrorist at least... (caring for the money and profit margins more than the welfare of the clients, the passengers :cry:  )

You should have seen NWA 255. That was horrid. Much of our on-call staff was immediately sent the scene, but we ended up searching for remains.

US Air flight 427 also stuck in my mind, I was a kid at the time but gawd the mess it made limbs hanging in trees... not may large pieces there also

Would've been nice to get the QAR, but looking at that wreckage it'll have been smashed to pieces. Hopefully the black boxes survived and can shed a bit of light on the matter.

As it was transmitting until the end, it likely remained intact. It was also a constant descent rate (steep, but constant) whilst there was no call out from the pilots/distress call. Possible incapacitation?

And although it was an older aircraft, that doesn't mean it would just drop out of the sky. And it would've almost certainly been maintained by Lufty themselves - they know a thing or two about aircraft maintenance.

Very sad indeed.

All of the media coverage is worrying people, me included.. I love flying I just have the 'what if..' feeling which makes me not want to do it...it's ok saying statistically it's the safest way of traveling but realistically you have a much greater chance of surviving a car crash than you do a plane crash.

92% or so of plane crashes have survivors, it's a myth that everyone always dies when a plane crashes. The majority of accidents happen at takeoff and landing when planes are at their slowest speeds, and seat design has improved enormously so your odds of surviving plane crashes are pretty good.

Thank you for the encouraging words.. As a frequent flier myself.. I admit I do sometimes get scared when there is mid air turbulence these days.

The last 4 incidences, were they all air buses?

The 2 Malaysian planes were Boeing 777's, this one and the Air Asia planes were both A320s

Any more news today on this? Not been able to read the news articles properly yet (thanks to a damn ear and chest infection I'm not feeling great when reading huge walls of text)

92% or so of plane crashes have survivors, it's a myth that everyone always dies when a plane crashes. The majority of accidents happen at takeoff and landing when planes are at their slowest speeds, and seat design has improved enormously so your odds of surviving plane crashes are pretty good.

The 2 Malaysian planes were Boeing 777's, this one and the Air Asia planes were both A320s

Actually that's also a myth - the majority of accidents happen in the cruise. Which makes sense, considering you're in the cruise for hours but take off and landing last only minutes, and climb and descent only about 20 minutes.