The Ultimate Gear Poll - 2015

9 members have voted

1. 1. What camera types do you use most often?

• DSLR - Cropped sensor
    • DSLR - Full frame
    • Compact System
    • Film
    • Point and Shoot
    • Mobile Phone/Tablet/Device
    • Other
  2. 2. Who is the manufacturer of your camera(s)?

• Canon
    • Nikon
    • Olympus
    • Sony
    • Panasonic
    • Pentax
    • Fujifilm
    • Sigma
    • Samsung
    • Apple
    • Nokia
    • Other
  3. 3. Where do you usually shop for photography equipment?

• Mostly high street stores
    • Mostly online
    • Both

• Chasethebase unpinned and locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Google adds document scanning to Chromebook Camera app, GIF creation coming soon
      by Usama Jawad

Camera-related technologies have become more important than ever in this era of remote working and digital communication. Back in August, Google talked about how it has enhanced the video calling experience for Chromebooks via the Camera app, and now it has introduced some other capabilities as well.

First up is document scanning that enables the Camera app to scan and digitize physical documents into PDFs and JPEGs. This feature is present for both the front-facing camera and the rear one - provided that your Chromebook comes with it. You can also share scanned documents directly via email, social media, and Android phones in the vicinity via Nearby Share.

Next we have personalized camera angles where you can configure your external camera with the Chromebook Camera app and then use Pan-Tilt-Zoom features to personalize angles for your photos. All of your preferences will be saved so you can resume from where you left off even if you are interrupted in between your adjustments.

Other features that Google recommends giving a try are the Video mode, the self-timer, scanning QR codes, and "save for later". Another capability the company plans to add soon is the ability to directly and quickly create shareable GIFs that are five seconds in length. However, Google has not revealed a release date for this feature as of yet.

• By Karthik Mudaliar
      GoPro announces Hero 10 Black with HyperSmooth 5.3K at 60 FPS, new processor, and more
      by Karthik Mudaliar

GoPro has announced Hero 10 Black, its latest action camera. The device features a new processor that allows it to capture videos up to 5.3K at 60 FPS while 4K videos can be shot at 120 FPS so that you can show off your cool slow-mo shots. It can also upload your videos to the cloud while being charged although, for that, you would need a GoPro subscription.

The new processor is called GP2 that's replacing the GP1 processors used in GoPro cameras ever since after the Hero 6 Black. The improved processor also allows it to be more responsive, including the touchscreen and the overall interface. GoPro is a market leader in action cams for quite a long time now and much of its competition comes not from other action cams, but smartphones. This is why GoPro has added a smartphone-like approach to how the device processes photos and videos.

For instance, there's now a lot of processing like the new local tone mapping algorithm that's available in both videos and photos. Local tone mapping enhances the contrast in areas that have low details so that it appears with more texture. There's also a significant boost in noise reduction in videos. The Hero Black 10 also includes a new hydrophobic lens cover that sheds off the water, which is great for people using the device in and around the water.

The Hero Black 10 also has great photo improvements. Although the image sensor is the same as that on its predecessor, the image resolution bumps up to 23 MP from 20 MP before. You can also pull individual 19.6 MP frames from your 5.3K videos. With this technique, you get the still in JPG format and not RAW, but it is still good enough for uploading on social media.

As mentioned before, the automatic cloud backup feature will work only for those with a GoPro subscription. Although, if you get the subscription that's available at $49.99 a year, you will get the camera at just $399.98 which is a hundred dollars less than the retail price without the subscription at $499.99.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Apple warns that vibrations from a motorcycle engine may damage iPhone cameras
      by Usama Jawad

A couple of weeks ago, Apple announced a free repairs program for iPhone 12 devices affected by sound issues with the receiver. Now, the Cupertino tech giant has issued an advisory (thanks, MacRumors) for another issue, but it will not be offering free repairs this time.

The problem this time around deals with high amplitude vibrations, such as those coming from a powerful motorcycle engine, affecting the iPhone camera setup. Essentially, numerous iPhone models offer camera-focused technologies such as optical image stabilization (OIS) and closed-loop autofocus (AF), enabling users to take sharp shots while countering effects of gravity and vibrations.

Apple says that while OIS and closed-loop AF are "designed for durability", extended exposure to high-amplitude vibrations at certain frequencies will eventually lead to reduced quality in images and videos. Apple further explains that:

It's unclear why Apple suddenly decided to issue an advisory about this matter given that OIS or closed-loop AF have been available in multiple iPhone models since the iPhone 6s Plus. It's likely that there has been an uptick in similar cases reported by customers. Apple has emphasized that the issue is common across "many" consumer electronics with these camera technologies and is not specific to the iPhone.

• By zikalify
      Motorola launches in-car AI video system for police forces
      by Paul Hill

Motorola has introduced a new AI-enabled in-car video system designed to be used by law enforcement. The system, dubbed M500, has been designed to enhance awareness and safety and to build trust through the communities which the police serve. With the M500, a video recording begins as soon as someone enters the back of a police car which should ensure any incidents are caught on tape if they’re needed for inspection later on.

Commenting on the new technology, Mahesh Saptharishi, senior vice president and chief technology officer, Software Enterprise & Mobile Video at Motorola Solutions, said:

To build trust further, the M500 has been designed to be transparent, inclusive, and fair. It includes built-in guardrails, controls, and audit logs that help promote privacy and encourage responsible use. Additionally, the M500 is able to pair with the V300 body-worn cameras to record events from multiple angles which can give those responsible for reviewing footage a better idea of what’s going on. It also works with Motorola’s CommandCentral to send footage to HQ in real-time.

The M500 is available for pre-order now, to find out more head over to Motorola’s website.

• By Steven P.
      The previous topic ran for three years, although we aren't getting the votes and posts we used to, I think this still should be a yearly topic.

I will start, back when I voted in 2018 I had an Intel i5-4440 (previous self build) i7-8700 (in a Dell that I sold on) currently have i9-9900K in a self build PC. For GPU it is Nvidia: had 1050 GTX (then 1060 ripped from Dell) in the previous self build, in my current rig I have a RTX 2070 SUPER.