Odd Network Behavior All Of A Sudden

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

patseguin    1,329

In my home, I have a PC, Mac, 2 HTPC's, various wireless devices, and a Synology NAS. The network has been behaving fine. Last week, I got a drive error in my NAS array so I shut it down until my replacement drive came. A couple hours ago, the replacement drive came and I installed it and powered up the NAS. I went into the web based management to add the drive and repair the array and kept getting errors about not being able to load the page. When I clicked on the Network icon, it would only display the PC and nothing else on the network. Since the NAS is set up as the master browser, I thought maybe there was a conflict so I rebooted the PC.

Well, it probably took 15-20 minutes for the PC to boot when it usually just takes seconds. Network now shows all the devices on the network but I am still getting the same error with the web page displaying the Synolog software losing connection. I also started copying some files to the NAS and shortly after dragging the files I got an error "Item Not Found" "This is no longer located in \\diskstation\video...".

Why am I having these network problems all of a sudden when the only that changed was the replacing of a drive in the NAS?

+BudMan    3,748

well if you can not do a nbtstat -A to what your master browser is, can you do it to any other window machines or from any other window/linux machine?  It is highly possible its not going to show you the browse list.

So from linux you can use nmblookup

budman@ubuntu:~$ nmblookup -A 192.168.1.100
Looking up status of 192.168.1.100
        LOCAL           <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        I5-W7           <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
        I5-W7           <20> -         M <ACTIVE>

MAC Address = 18-03-73-B1-0D-D3

budman@ubuntu:~$ nmblookup -A 192.168.1.7
Looking up status of 192.168.1.7
        UBUNTU          <00> -         B <ACTIVE>
        UBUNTU          <03> -         B <ACTIVE>
        UBUNTU          <20> -         B <ACTIVE>
        ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        LOCAL           <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        LOCAL           <1d> -         B <ACTIVE>
        LOCAL           <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

You clearly got something wrong if your node is showing as 0.0.0.0 - its should show your IP.. My win10 is still updating to 10049, but once its finish I will validate that nbtstat still works - maybe that is broken too.

Dude I would really not suggest you run preview version of OS as your main OS..  Its going to have all kinds of issue that could pretty much break even using it, etc.

patseguin    1,329

Yeah I'm considering going back to Windows 8 and just run 10 in a VM until it is released. I will try those commands on my a Windows machines and my OpenElec machines.

patseguin    1,329

Well, BudMan I took your advice and clean installed back to Windows 8.1. Of course, networking is fine now. I'll be running Windows 10 preview builds in a VM from now on.

patseguin    1,329

Marking this solved by you BudMan. Your knowledge is amazing sir.

+BudMan    3,748

So seems they fixed the props for ipv4 and ipv6 in the gui with the new 74 build

post-14624-0-43059900-1430824603.png

patseguin    1,329

Yep confirmed. I put a new Zotac box in the bedroom and the issues seemed to have stopped. However, last night it stopped to buffer like it had been. It's only happened once though. Might be something I never figure out...