Windows 8 failed

I think the Windows recovery/restore process has gone downhill with 7/8, ever since the more complicated restore/refresh options were introduced. In theory it should be simpler but I've seen far too many cases where it fails in the middle of the process.

And they made it much harder to create a simple restore disc/usb and save your serial key for activation.

I know all this was done due to rampant piracy but it seems to hurt users.

Thats not the most intelligent comment Ive ever heard...

A little shocked coming from you ...

Maybe it is just the wrong paid AV ?

I'm curious what the right paid AV is.  The free ones that are out there are really good (honestly if you're careful there's nothing wrong with running Defender by itself, just don't go installing software from ads on torrent sites), and I've seen paid ones (Norton, Mcafee come to mind primarily) completely bog a system down worse than any virus could. 

I've always had a "friends don't let friends pay for AV software" so if you can change my mind I'd be curious to hear the arguments. 

I'm curious what the right paid AV is.  The free ones that are out there are really good (honestly if you're careful there's nothing wrong with running Defender by itself, just don't go installing software from ads on torrent sites), and I've seen paid ones (Norton, Mcafee come to mind primarily) completely bog a system down worse than any virus could. 

I've always had a "friends don't let friends pay for AV software" so if you can change my mind I'd be curious to hear the arguments. 

Awesome - install webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus - its just the plain vanilla version - if you like it - I will gladly give you one of my enterprise licenses good for 2 years.

I promise - you wont uninstall it

Every person I have installed it for still runs it trouble free...and infection free - it is the lightest footprint of all the AVs  - and the fastest.

Go here -- if you like it - I'll give you a 2 yr license.  Im that confident

Defender is worst of the bunch and next to useless while a decent one will block 97% of malware or higher.

I wouldn't consider Windows Defender to be the worst of the bunch. I'd rather have Windows Defender by default than not have any protection at all. Its capabilities have been significantly enhanced as of Windows 8.1.

I do think that its capabilities were more extensive prior to the release of Windows 7. Not only did it provide an interface to analyze applications and connections, it even went as far as blocking programs that required administrative permissions from operating after computer startup.

post-483058-0-70294100-1428372511.png

Note that I normally do not have two antimalware applications running at the same time. I have Avira installed and Windows Defender is typically disabled, but I re-enabled it to illustrate the Software Explorers feature. I have proof of this

post-483058-0-29458400-1428373304.png

Just as an information. it's really easy to refresh or reset a pc or even just the systemdrive since windows 8. even if the desktop or explorer isn't working. Just press CTRL+ALT+DEL and you'll get the screen which lets u open the task manager. if even this is not usable. just select the power-button on this screen.hold the SHIFT key and hit restart. you'll get a troubleshoot boot menu with everything u want even a reset or only refresh option.

Sure that'll help in alot of situations, but if a 3rd party program is causing the issue i don't see that solving it