• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

network cable

Question

drewster2100    0

i have a problem, i recently decided to network old and new comp, only had one cable, the one i have for my dsl, so i went to the local computer store and bought a 7 foot cable (label says 7' CAT5 4PR UTP CABLE(CRIMP)) and it doesnt seem to work, i tested with dsl cable(crossover cable i think) and works perfectly! could someone please help! thanks, ladr

4 answers to this question

aco    0

If you are going to use a hub or switch, you need to go and buy straight-through cable, if you are going to have 2 NIC's in the server (one to DSL and one to the client) then you will need to buy crossover cable.

drewster2100    0

i suppose i need another crossover cable since im connecting two network cards?(on comp on internet) is it more expensive or what?

akassebaum    0

If you are hooking up a network between two computers, than you have to use a crossover cable... but if you want to share internet, you will need a hub or router and cat 5 patch cable...

aco    0
Originally posted by akassebaum

If you are hooking up a network between two computers, than you have to use a crossover cable... but if you want to share internet, you will need a hub or router and cat 5 patch cable...

That's wrong, I have the same setup as drewster and I share the internet. Just go and buy a crossover cable for connecting the two computers, set up ICS (works well if both computers are running XP) and you're up and running. :)

BTW, crossover cable is not much more expensive.