My New Phone! LG G3 32GB 3GB ram.

Congrats on an awesome phone! What is the battery life on the G3 like? I ask because I have read in almost all reviews that bcoz of the high res screen, battery life is average. And the phone also heats up a lot due to the high powered Qualcomm CPU which causes intermittent shut downs. Kindly share your experience on these 2 aspects of the G3.

So far the battery has been great. Last night I went to bed at 60%. Saturday it was getting a little low by evening, but I was also in a part of the county that had very bad Verizon signal, thus the phone cranked up the radios and suck the battery dry.

I'd say I plugged it into my macbook pro while I was out of my house at around 45%. I'm sure had I not plugged it in I would have made it home with at least 10%. 

I don't sit on my phone all day and surf and read emails. I do check emails and look stuff up, but not ALLLLL day. I also have a Moto 360 which gives me all of the notifications from the phone without me having to wake the phone up. (when I do wake the phone up, the double tapping on the screen is so fracking cool and useful!) So that could help the battery too.

I also read that the screen is the biggest battery drain of this phone, as well as the brightness which the screen is set. Which why I have my brightness set below 50% which fine indoors where I spend most of my time ... working from home and all.

17157333991_5ac74722e9_c.jpg

I unplugged my phone at 9am this morning. I've used it to check a few things. At the moment as you can see my phone is at 100%. Because this phone has a removable battery if a person wants to they can always add a larger battery.

I did notice it getting warm installing CM12, but it never shut off. Nor has it ever shut off.

I have had 2 issues so far with CM12. Both having to do with the dialer. Each only has happened once. When I was in a call I couldn't hang up, that was one time. The other time after a call I couldn't swipe the lock screen up. That was the only 2 issues I've had in the last week.

Other than that it's been stable and no random reboots. Its also fast as ######.'

Did I mention it's fast as ######? :laugh:

Update. It's now 3:37pm

I've used it to check some Neowin posts, make some calls and reply to some texts. The battery is now ..92%.

It's funny too, because I also turned on my moto G to get some pictures off of it and I tried waking it up from the back lol.

• Like 2

^ Thanks for your reply. I am thinking of buying this phone. Not immediately, maybe in the next 3-4 months.

Thanks battery life wise, your mileage may vary. By the time I went to bed last night I was at about 40%. I used it more once Ieft the house.

• 3 weeks later...

How many people who own a G3 try turning on all phones from the back?

I must say once you have a power button and volume rockers behind a phone, you never go back!

Also a little update.

I'm running the latest nighty of CM12.1 aka Android 5.1

Everything is running great. I love this phone!

I switched over to CM12 after being stock for a while.  Love AOSP!  Battery life took a little hit but the phone still gets me through the day no problem so... (with stock I had made it through 1 3/4 days one time I forgot to charge overnight).

The Google camera available from the Play store is better than the AOSP camera, I would recommend installing it if you're using a stock ROM (4.4 or above only) and don't like the stock AOSP camera.

The Google camera available from the Play store is better than the AOSP camera, I would recommend installing it if you're using a stock ROM (4.4 or above only) and don't like the stock AOSP camera.

Since CM doesn't include any Google Apps I downloaded the latest GApps pack which included the Google Camera.

I never flash CM without the Gapps package so whenever I use CM the google camera will be on my phone as well.

If I download the latest nightly from the "about phone" menu where does it put the zip file?

If I download the latest nightly from the "about phone" menu where does it put the zip file?

in a folder called "cmupdater"

So far I'm loving it. No lag. This one has 3gb of ram :)

lol I went G3 also mate :) great phone, I replaced an aging Galaxy note 1 and havnt looked back, the 32Gb model actually has a 4Gb DIMM but LG have the last Gb locked down :( I then sold my note 1 international to CEX for

Only thing that annoys me is being unable to remove the Macafee security crap. Toyed with rooting it but tbh lollipop is sooo slick on it ive just not activated it and use Avira instead.

You should live on the edge and install CM12.1 Nightly :D

Only bug i've noticed so far, and I haven't had it with the latest nightly as of last night. But after phone calls some times the lock screen won't swipe up until after I reboot.

How many people who own a G3 try turning on all phones from the back?

I must say once you have a power button and volume rockers behind a phone, you never go back!

Also a little update.

I'm running the latest nighty of CM12.1 aka Android 5.1

Everything is running great. I love this phone!

I never turn on my phone from the back when it is in standby as we can just double tap the screen to wake it up.

I never turn on my phone from the back when it is in standby as we can just double tap the screen to wake it up.

Me too, but maybe it's a nightly bug. But last week as I was walking I heard beep beep beep beep ...coming from my pocket. Once I turned double tap off it stopped doing that.

If you want to have some real fun, compile the CM code yourself :D It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.. Then you can cherrypick features they aren't the builds yet.. :D

You should live on the edge and install CM12.1 Nightly :D

Only bug i've noticed so far, and I haven't had it with the latest nightly as of last night. But after phone calls some times the lock screen won't swipe up until after I reboot.

When that happens try swiping up with 5 fingers (yes, including your thumb).  As weird as it sounds it works and then goes back to working with one finger.

It appears the latest nighties of CM12.1 is now Android 5.1.1 ...

That's the one i'm running and it's running great.

Not sure it has to be said or not but I Fracking LOVE Lollipop 5.1.1!

One thing I really love is the native lock screen notification support.

I used my phone a little today but not a lot so a testament on how the standby is I took it off the charger at about 8:30am and I'm at 80% right now.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update, I think the Nighty update on June 2nd fixed some touch screen stuff in the kernel, which upon looking online might have fixed the bug where I couldn't unlock the phone (sometimes) after ending a call.

It didn't happen very often, and It hasn't happened after that update so that's good.

The only other bug I get sometimes is when for some reason the phone wants to get stuck on a long press so everything I touch acts like it's long pressing. Once again it doesn't happen very often. Maybe that's been fixed too.

The phone also will spontaneously go black to where I have to pull the battery. Upon researching it might be a symptom of a batch of early LG G3 models. This happens not very often at all, like once a month.

Not a big deal to me if it only happens that often.

Other than that the phone is FAAAAST ...

I'm also love LOVE LOVING, the volume and power button on the back of the phone. It's the most nature thing ever.

Takes great photos too

18336899908_cfa9665a0f.jpg

I am really tempted to pick up a G3 also. I want to use it for Android development though so how is getting stock Android on it? Or how is the LG add-ons? Are they awful? Better or worse than modern Samsung add-ons?

I am really tempted to pick up a G3 also. I want to use it for Android development though so how is getting stock Android on it? Or how is the LG add-ons? Are they awful? Better or worse than modern Samsung add-ons?

In my case I was lucky it still had an old firmware on it that didn't block rooting. So from rooting to finishing installing CM12 ... i'd say about 10 mins.

It's a fantastic phone, I also own a g3 and I'm pretty happy with it, specially now that we have a aosp build for the D855 (int version) at least. Too bad aosp cameras aren't as good as stock, wonder if it will ever be ported to aosp/cm based roms. No camera comes close to it yet.

Battery life depends a lot on the use, but this qhd screen drains it like a drunk avoiding sobriety, its worth it thou, the screen is something else ;)

About updates, there was rumours about a L5.1 update, but LG denying, might skip to M altogether.

Good phone, pretty confy, I like big screens too so its pretty cool :)

Good phone, pretty confy, I like big screens too so its pretty cool :)

What are your opinions of the buttons on the back of the phone. Personally I think those buttons are the most natural things ever!