My New Phone! LG G3 32GB 3GB ram.

I have the G2 now.  Currently looking at getting the G4 now. Doesnt appear to be a root for it yet tho.

Just do what I do, just always buy a used last year model for cheap!

Just do what I do, just always buy a used last year model for cheap!

unless it is certified referb, not big on used devices.  Never know what they have done.  Kind of holding out or couple more months to see what new devices are announced.

To each their own.  And a battle neither will win.

Unless I throw my phone really hard at him, driving his nose bone into his brain thus killing him :laugh:

• Like 3

Unless I throw my phone really hard at him, driving his nose bone into his brain thus killing him :laugh:

Interesting thought.  I concede.

Good Day to you, sir.... I SAY GOOD DAY TO YOU !

• Like 2

I am really tempted to pick up a G3 also. I want to use it for Android development though so how is getting stock Android on it? Or how is the LG add-ons? Are they awful? Better or worse than modern Samsung add-ons?

In my case I was lucky it still had an old firmware on it that didn't block rooting. So from rooting to finishing installing CM12 ... i'd say about 10 mins.

One click root now fully supports lollipop IIRC

These are 2 of many photos I took with the g3 while camping this weekend.

It was raining on the lake. (No filters)

18623945793_b055ce6d8e_c.jpg

19248461991_4c7dc0ded2_c.jpg

• Like 2

What are your opinions of the buttons on the back of the phone. Personally I think those buttons are the most natural things ever!

Took me perhaps more than a couple days to get used to it, all previous smartphones i had the buttons were on the side, however, it comes pretty natural now, it's in the middle, usually accessible with either hand. I think was a different idea that could be a love or hate. I got used to it, the buttons are different and easily recognized with the finger, makes sense.

Also, yeah, the camera is BRUTAL! :D Try X-Cam from xda, and the filters (from either) are also very good. Wonder if G4 camera ever gets ported to G3, manual mode it's a very nice add for better quality pics. 

Took me perhaps more than a couple days to get used to it, all previous smartphones i had the buttons were on the side, however, it comes pretty natural now, it's in the middle, usually accessible with either hand. I think was a different idea that could be a love or hate. I got used to it, the buttons are different and easily recognized with the finger, makes sense.

Oddly enough I got use to buttons in the back the instant I put my hands on the phone.

• Like 1

Also, yeah, the camera is BRUTAL! :D Try X-Cam from xda, and the filters (from either) are also very good. Wonder if G4 camera ever gets ported to G3, manual mode it's a very nice add for better quality pics. 

I remember reading somewhere, since the camera image processor and whatever other tech mumbo jumbo I read on xda, that porting the g4 camera app to g3 would take to much work and would probably not get done :/

• 3 months later...

So this is still my main phone. I was having some problems that cropped up in the CM12.1.1 nightlies were I was experiencing random reboots a few times a day.

So I switched ROMS. I'm now running Jasmine Rom which is the stock 5.1.1 rom with root and some other added stuff. It doesn't have the patch for Stagefright 2.0 like CM12.1 nightly did, but it's far more stable and i'm actually really liking the ROM.

Found this post, just to say that the LG G3 is an amazing phone. I sold the Lumia 1520 and bought a LG G3 T-Mobile version to use it in H2O wireless... So far so good, love it... We will get in a few months Android M.I already rooted it and removed all T-Mobile crapware installed.

I was tempted to buy the Nexus 6p .. mainly for the fingerprint reader and the support of updates. But the lack of an SD Card might be a deal breaker for me. Before I wiped my internal storage to install the Jasmine rom, on my 32GB phone I only had 4GB free. Even less after I backed up my rom. My 32GB SD card was getting low on storage too.

It's sad some phones don't give you that option as a 64GB Micro SD card is $29. Can't do much with apps but for storing videos and photos. Heck the LG G3 supports 128GB

I guess I just really want a stagefright 2.0 patch.

• 2 months later...

You gotta try CM13, its blazing fast and I highly recommend it! Obviously its CM, stock has its issues but it uses the whole phone (hardware), uses it to its full extent. 

About G4 camera, its been ported already, some functions work, manual mode works but isnt that surprising. We are fine with G3 camera, it works wonders :)

3 hours ago, MidnightDevil said:

You gotta try CM13, its blazing fast and I highly recommend it! Obviously its CM, stock has its issues but it uses the whole phone (hardware), uses it to its full extent. 

About G4 camera, its been ported already, some functions work, manual mode works but isnt that surprising. We are fine with G3 camera, it works wonders :)

Does the Nightly still have the call log bug, were all the numbers of incoming calls you've answered, show up as "Unknown"

4 hours ago, warwagon said:

Does the Nightly still have the call log bug, were all the numbers of incoming calls you've answered, show up as "Unknown"

I can check that in a little while, but its been heavily worked and bugs ironed out very extensively. I could use it for as a daily driver and probably would be fine with it. HDR is still missing (returns blank image) and there's talk about some Bluetooth issues occasionally with some devices. 

The problem with using third party roms, while I think stock rom could be heavily improved in terms of design (LGUI) and performance, its the only rom that uses the hardware extensively how it's supposed to. No OIS/IR on any other rom as cam libs are closed source for example. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2015 at 8:42 AM, warwagon said:

So I made the leap to a 5.5 inch LG G3 Phone. I found a steal on eBay. Got the LG G3 32GB Model for $270 Free shipping. The thing looks brand new. I now activated it on Verizon prepaid. What was great is who ever had the phone last never did any updates. So the phone was still on 4.4.2 and 10B which means they hadn't blocked the rooting. So I was easily able to root the phone and install CM12. So far so good :D

That's cool! My husband has been using  LG G3 phone also.  Great that you had found a good deal. By the way, it has  a good performance too.

1 minute ago, JenZen said:

That's cool! My husband has been using  LG G3 phone also.  Great that you had found a good deal. By the way, it has  a good performance too.

My Mom just bought one on eBay with the original box LG G3 32gig $140. looked brand spanking new.

• 4 weeks later...

kind of related, i finally received marshmallow over in the UK OTA via EE, holy moly toly hell! what an improvement on the 32Gb G3. :D 

like a totally brand new phone, everything even looks just that bit sharper, cant explain it, longer battery life, running cooler, feels butter smooth and overall I think LG have done a grand job porting it to the G3.

• 3 months later...

Snagged the best deal yet on eBay on a LG G3 Vs985 32GB $118 Shipped! Damn thing is like new. Found it for a friend.

28154931760_cc6057fcef_c.jpg

Awesome, G3 is still a very good phone, awesome camera (many modern and recent(er) phones cam quality is still subpar comparing with my G3 pictures). 

I own a 6P bought it 2 months ago, and I still have my G3 and use it often, specially when I need to take a good picture and listen to music.