elementary OS Freya released

This is why Linux will never become a mainstream OS:

I just installed Freya in a partition. Booted up fine. Everything works.

Except my wi-fi and sound.

This has been my experience with most installations of Linux.

Now, I have to do research on the internet, and follow some very arcane procedures to (maybe) get these to work.

I have to know how to use Linux command line (Terminal) commands.

My system is ancient: 2nd Gen i5 2310 processor, MSI mainboard circa 2011.

At least Windows installs basic drivers for everything, so you can start being productive with your installation right away.

No, thanks.

Any newbie can try Windows. Linux requires a keyboard jockey.

Maybe this is a problem with Elementary OS.

My system is way older than yours (Acer desktop PC from January 2006, with AMD Athlon 3500+) but when I installed Lubuntu it installed all drivers and everything worked out of the box, the only thing that didn't work properly was Pulse Audio for mp3 I just had to change it in Audacious to ALSA.

Oh lord, come off it. I get that fans see what they want to see, but if you don't see the shades of Mac OS in this distribution, it's because you aren't letting yourself.

Jeez, it's like the people back in the old days who insisted Linux distros didn't look like Windows because "this gradient is totally different!"

Why is it when everyone sees a dock, they think its an OS X ripoff/lookalike?

Apple didn't invent the dock, ya know. The OS looks vaguely like OS X, like KDE looks vaguely like Windows. It operates in a completely different way and you would have known that if you didn't judge from screenshots alone.

Now, I have to do research on the internet, and follow some very arcane procedures to (maybe) get these to work.

At least Windows installs basic drivers for everything, so you can start being productive with your installation right away.

No, thanks.

Im using it on a garbage 3rd gen core i3 notebook and all drivers installed fine. Wifi and sound are perfect.

No, thanks.

I've been a Linux believer for a long time. But indeed, I grew tired of these kind of issues. Another typical problem with Linux distro's: in one version a feature works perfectly, then suddenly in the next version, said feature is broken. Especially since my amount of free time got eaten up by family and work life, I rather spend time with a functional system than trying to fix these types of problems.

VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

But thats exactly what you would want to run. That extracting thing is not needed anymore since long time.

If vboxlinuxadditions.run does not work which happens often when running a brand New Linux distro vbox is to blame. Wait till they release a New version and you should be fine

same here, I tried and tried to use linux for years, but in the end I felt I was spending more time working around issues and reporting bugs than actually using my computer (even when I had a system76 laptop that came with ubuntu) :(

What distros are you using?

I have been using linux 100% for over 3 years now

The only time i need to fix something or find a workaround is if i start playing about in things i should prob not be

There's some comments here comparing the ease of installation of a GNU/Linux OS compared to windows and 'how its easy on windows because it has all the drivers' - that's complete horse ######.

I'm reminded of the windows XP days where you wouldn't even be able to detect any hard drives because it didn't have the drivers so you had to roll your own update to the XP iso, burn that to a disc and install from that, and this will never change because if you get a windows 10 installation disc and put it into a PC that's much newer and you lack the drivers - bingo it won't install or work. GNU/Linux is no different.

Yes, it's a pain when drivers aren't included in a Linux distro, but that's how it is, you cannot expect every driver to ever exist to be included, and if you take a look at the huge long list of drivers that are included with base linux kernels, you'll see it far surpasses the list of devices a 64 bit windows install can even support. Why not try making your own distro or joining another team or heck even just submitted comments/bug reports to distro makers to make them aware of these issues?

There's some comments here comparing the ease of installation of a GNU/Linux OS compared to windows and 'how its easy on windows because it has all the drivers' - that's complete horse ######.

I'm reminded of the windows XP days where you wouldn't even be able to detect any hard drives because it didn't have the drivers so you had to roll your own update to the XP iso, burn that to a disc and install from that, and this will never change because if you get a windows 10 installation disc and put it into a PC that's much newer and you lack the drivers - bingo it won't install or work. GNU/Linux is no different.

Yes, it's a pain when drivers aren't included in a Linux distro, but that's how it is, you cannot expect every driver to ever exist to be included, and if you take a look at the huge long list of drivers that are included with base linux kernels, you'll see it far surpasses the list of devices a 64 bit windows install can even support. Why not try making your own distro or joining another team or heck even just submitted comments/bug reports to distro makers to make them aware of these issues?

Essentially all you need today is an Ethernet driver. After you get internet access Windows Update will find all the drivers necessary. At least this works every time for me.

Perhaps if you use AMD GPU's it's another story, but I'll never know personally...

And while back then it was annoying to search for all the drivers you need and back them up to install later, on Linux you coudln't even find drivers to begin with.

But thats exactly what you would want to run. That extracting thing is not needed anymore since long time.

If vboxlinuxadditions.run does not work which happens often when running a brand New Linux distro vbox is to blame. Wait till they release a New version and you should be fine

How do I execute that file? I tried sh vboxlinuxadditions.run and it didn't work.

Anyways, I've wanted to dual boot Windows 8.1 and Linux for some time so I don't have to mess with a VM. I tried using my 2nd SSD as a Linux drive but it wouldn't install for some reason. Is the only way to do it to partition my main C drive? I'd like to dual boot Wind 8.1 and Freya.

How do I execute that file? I tried sh vboxlinuxadditions.run and it didn't work.

Anyways, I've wanted to dual boot Windows 8.1 and Linux for some time so I don't have to mess with a VM. I tried using my 2nd SSD as a Linux drive but it wouldn't install for some reason. Is the only way to do it to partition my main C drive? I'd like to dual boot Wind 8.1 and Freya.

open terminal/konsole in that directory where VBoxLinuxAdditions.run is, then enter

sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

write it exactly as it reads. 

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this tonight.  My Toshiba Laptop died on me so I had to install on my NAS serve which was a Dell Tower.   It looks pretty good so far from what I have seen.   I have found it to be pretty lightweight as far as the base install, but I think that is by design.   Installing programs is pretty easy from their application manager. 

Sounds works great on it, and no issues there.  IMHO, though, it could use some better customizability even with the tweaks app installed. 

I am liking Geary for email, but did not find a way to disable the auto-load of images in email.  If anyone knows, please let me know. :)  The rest is pretty slick.