• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Eighth-Grader Arrested, Charged With Cybercrimes for Changing Teacher

chrisj1968    1,417

point 1. kid accesses system illegally

point 2. adminstrative adults  and teachers too stupid to secure their systems or use proper passwords.

both should be shamed.

• Like 1

+fusi0n    2,135

Do you not see the point?  In that there were sensitive items on that machine he had access to, specifically standardized testing, makes it a federal matter and they are required to report it.  

The how isn't what breaks the law, the action is.

So yeah it is the same thing per the law.

if any teacher gave him the password, which all he has to do say that a teacher gave him the admin password (doesn't have to be true, it will he said/she said)and then you have reasonable doubt.  There is zero proof that a teacher DID or DIDN'T give him a password. The boy could say, "Since a teacher gave me the password, I felt like I had access to the system". Which wouldn't be a bad defence seeing the password didn't expire or was changed. 

This case will be pleaded out to a much lesser charge. 

Rippleman    3,851

point 1. kid accesses system illegally

point 2. adminstrative adults  and teachers too stupid to secure their systems or use proper passwords.

both should be shamed.

It was her fault she got raped for wearing skimpy clothes. both should go to jail since she tempted the rapist.

(victim blaming sounds messed up huh?)

• Like 1

adrynalyne    13,905

if any teacher gave him the password, which all he has to do say that a teacher gave him the admin password (doesn't have to be true, it will he said/she said)and then you have reasonable doubt.  There is zero proof that a teacher DID or DIDN'T give him a password. The boy could say, "Since a teacher gave me the password, I felt like I had access to the system". Which wouldn't be a bad defence seeing the password didn't expire or was changed. 

This case will be pleaded out to a much lesser charge. 

Probably, but again, it doesn't change that he was rightfully charged.

DATmafia    14

So...i would have made the kid in charge of group policy at the school as a condition of him passing high school.

A fate worse than prison indeed.That's where over-reactive nanny-state's originate is in school these days. Yes, a "law" was broken but since the teacher frequently gave out the password it's not like he had to brute force his way into the box. This shouldn't have left the school authorities building since it's laxed security procedures on part of the institution that led to this event taking place so easily. The teen should be punished in accordance to damaging school property since there was no data breached. Is the school also going to arrest any teen they can prove borrowed the admin password in the past in order to be fair or just make an example out of the one they easily caught as a way to control the actions of the other students? Pink Floyd has been singing about the dangers of educational tyrany for 30+ years. It's not like we had no warning.

+fusi0n    2,135

Probably, but again, it doesn't change that he was rightfully charged.

So, he was rightfully charged for using a password that was given to him to access a computer? Yes, he wasn't authorized to use it at THAT time.. So you are saying, if I left my computer unlocked at work and someone sends a mass email from my account that I'm having an all nude pool party, that person should be charged? Password or No Password, he didn't have authorized access to my computer, technically making him a "hacker"..

The Evil Overlord    18,442

So let me get this straight, an eighth grader was arrested for knowing how to use a computer... :shifty:

+fusi0n    2,135

So let me get this straight, an eighth grader was arrested for knowing how to use a computer... :shifty:

basically..with a password that had to be given to him at some point.. He shouldn't have been arrested. 

BUT, if you read the book the Art of War, it could be just setting an example too.. 

• Like 1

adrynalyne    13,905

So, he was rightfully charged for using a password that was given to him to access a computer? Yes, he wasn't authorized to use it at THAT time.. So you are saying, if I left my computer unlocked at work and someone sends a mass email from my account that I'm having an all nude pool party, that person should be charged? Password or No Password, he didn't have authorized access to my computer, technically making him a "hacker"..

I linked the law to you.  You are purposely ignoring what it says.  Unauthorized means exactly that whether you agree with it or not.  It has nothing to do with the how.

+fusi0n    2,135

I linked the law to you.  You are purposely ignoring what it says.  Unauthorized means exactly that whether you agree with it or not.  It has nothing to do with the how.

I know 100% what the law is.. I never said you were wrong with what the law says. It's a BS charge that WON'T stick in court. He was most likely being used as an example. 

chrisj1968    1,417

It was her fault she got raped for wearing skimpy clothes. both should go to jail since she tempted the rapist.

I think you're using a terrible example of a rape victim :rolleyes: . If the school used proper security measures, then said kid wouldn't have access to the system.

Intersect    239

basically..with a password that had to be given to him at some point.. He shouldn't have been arrested. 

BUT, if you read the book the Art of War, it could be just setting an example too.. 

he made changes to a system that he did not own, tbh it serves the little prick a lesion, just because he didn't like the teacher it does not give him the right to do what he did,

Rippleman    3,851

I think you're using a terrible example of a rape victim :rolleyes: . If the school used proper security measures, then said kid wouldn't have access to the system.

if the girl dresses properly, she wouldn't have attracted attention.

Again, you are justifying victim blaming.

No he was arrested for going on a teachers computer, figuring out the password, and making changes. If it was like you say, most eighth graders would have been also arrested.

xendrome    5,583

Just reading the comments here, a lot of you are really not up to speed on the federal law that covers this, "unauthorized access of a computer system or network". I'll give the non-US people a break their laws are different.

But just because you leave your front door open and unlocked, doesn't give some random guy the right to walk in and take your TV.

Either way this is not going to go anywhere, no state/federal procecutor will follow through on these charges.

• Like 1

chrisj1968    1,417

if the girl dresses properly, she wouldn't have attracted attention.

Again, you are justifying victim blaming.

No he was arrested for going on a teachers computer, figuring out the password, and making changes. If it was like you say, most eighth graders would have been also arrested.

no, both were to blame. the kid KNEW what he was doing was wrong ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND... the school was wrong for improper security measures.

Rippleman    3,851

no, both were to blame. the kid KNEW what he was doing was wrong ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND... the school was wrong for improper security measures.

I don't get the logic where someone does something, and its someone else s fault. But then again, I am not religious.

DocM    16,881

I don't get the logic where someone does something, and its someone else s fault. But then again, I am not religious.

Fault transference tends not to be a religious notion. Its usually seen among secular sociologists.

Rippleman    3,851

Fault transference tends not to be a religious notion. Its usually seen among secular sociologists.

100% a Christian doctrine to the very core. It is built entirely on this single concept.

spenser.d    1,100

Not even a little bit the same, but nice try :rolleyes:

Rippleman    3,851

Not even a little bit the same, but nice try :rolleyes:

underlining message.... blame the victim. 

spenser.d    1,100

underlining message.... blame the victim.

You want underlying, and you're still off the mark by a mile.

Rippleman    3,851

You want underlying, and you're still off the mark by a mile.

So... who's fault is this then... the 13 year old or the schools?

chrisj1968    1,417

ok to simplify this: Kid said he watched teacher type in password so he coudl put offensive wallpaper on the teachers PC.

schools blame is for not teaching teachers from protecting their passwords.

breaking into a computer system is a crime.. the kid has to know this. The teacher needs classes on system security to prevent other attempts in the future.

Rippleman    3,851

ok to simplify this: Kid said he watched teacher type in password so he coudl put offensive wallpaper on the teachers PC.

schools blame is for not teaching teachers from protecting their passwords.

breaking into a computer system is a crime.. the kid has to know this. The teacher needs classes on system security to prevent other attempts in the future.

So you acknowledge there is a difference between crime and crime prevention. 

Simplified question: You leave your house unlocked. I come in and steal everything. Who is charged with the crime? Me or you?

Hint: Do you really need a hint?

• Like 1

chrisj1968    1,417

So you acknowledge there is a difference between crime and crime prevention. 

Simplified question: You leave your house unlocked. I come in and steal everything. Who is charged with the crime? Me or you?

Hint: Do you really need a hint?

actually I don't since your answer is the same as what I've been trying to say. kid commits crime, teacher facilitates crime by not being mindful of system password. we sound like we are on the same sheet of music IMHO