Would a surface 3 be enough for me?

I am looking at getting either a Surface 3 or a Surface Pro 3. My use would be primarily for travel (I do travel extensively) and would primarily be watching movies on it (streaming), MS Office suite, Heavy Internet Browsing, etc. 

I'm debating on the Surface Pro 3 with 8GB Ram and 256 HD Bundle for $1500. or the Surface 3 with 4GB Ram 128 GB HD Bundle for $700.00. Does anyone have an opinion?

Also, does the Surface 3 allow me to install software that isn't in the APP Store? From what I know the Surface 2 was locked to only software available in the App store. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

If you are going to have over a dozen tabs open at the same time, you better look at the Surface Pro 3 with 8 GB RAM.

Yes, Surface 3 will run you typical Windows programs not from the Windows Store.

if you can afford it then get 4GB as you never know what you wanna do with the tablet in the future,

Saying that Windows 8.1 is incredibly good with memory, i have a HP 7" stream and it handles HD video from youtube, apps etc.. without a problem all on 1GB RAM!