PlayStation Now is now available on standalone 2015 Sony Blu-Ray players

Haha, is THIS their response to Windows 10 devices and Xbox One game streaming? LoL! Shame its for last gen hardware! This'll be as much of a flop as the PS2 Bravia TV!

Haha, is THIS their response to Windows 10 devices and Xbox One game streaming? LoL! Shame its for last gen hardware! This'll be as much of a flop as the PS2 Bravia TV!

It was shown on Bravia TVs in January 2014 and they said it would come to other devices then. So no, it's nothing to do with Windows 10/MS announcements, just rolling out of the promised hardware support outside of TVs.

• Like 2

That is my thought as well. I agree.

I don't see how they're even remotely similar.

The whole point of this is you don't need a PlayStation (3 or 4) or even a computer at all.  It's streamed from the cloud to devices you may already own and as Audioboxer pointed out this was annouced when PlayStation Now was announced back in early 2014 before MS even mentioned the Win10 streaming.  It's probably been in the works since they bought Gaikai in 2012.

I seriously doubt it's going to flop and it's not at all like the PS2 Bravia TV either because there really isn't any dedicated hardware required on the client side.  They aren't building a PS3 or PS4 into the devices that support this they're just dumb terminals essentially that receive a stream and send controller commands, things Blu-Ray players and TVs already do.

Sony TVs already support this, this news is they're adding Sony Blu-Ray devices, Samsung has even signed on to support it on some of their TVs so it's not even just a Sony thing.  They're just rolling it out slowly so they can control load on their servers they can't just turn it on for everyone at once.  They also just picked up the OnLive patents related to streaming so the service is likely to improve even further going forward.  I don't think MS has a cloud gaming solution officially announced at all.  Xbox One -> Win10 streaming is just local streaming so it's more along the lines of what the PS4 does to the Vita, PS TV, or Sony cell phones and tablets or even what Steam is doing streaming from PCs to Steamboxes, that's a different beast.  nVidia does has something similar to PS Now in their Grid game streaming service though.

• Like 1