(Mac) Getting music back from iPod into iTunes

Because of the small hard drive size of my powerbook (40gb), I have decided to just keep all my music on my iPod but not on my computer. So if I listen to music on my computer, I connect my iPod. Sometimes, I know I am going somewhere where I will not want to connect my iPod and would just like to copy a couple albums back to my hard drive for use on the road and then just delete them when I am done.

Currently, there are a lot of applications out there that allow you to copy music from your iPod, but I have not come across any that really integrate with iTunes. Most of them simply just allow you to browse the iPod, then copy the music to the hard drive, then you have to add it back to iTunes manually.

Does anyone know of an application that will allow me to get music off my iPod directly from iTunes? I would like to be able to just browse through my iPod in iTunes, and when I come across something I want, just drag it to the library and it will copy it back, similar to putting music on the iPod, just in reverse.

Ya, this is one of the million I have tried, and it would just be so much nicer if everything worked form right within iTunes. Thanks for the reply though man! :)

maybe you could ask the folks at the bbs' of macrumors.com and spymac.com...

maybe somebody knows something there :ninja:

Are you looking for something that's like a plugin or AppleScript within iTunes? You're not going to find anything like that. All I've found are external tools. PodWorks should copy stuff to your iTunes library though.

Does anyone have links for the iTunes pluggin development pages. I've half-assed a search but couldn't find anything. I've been writting my own application (stand alone) that does some of this stuff, but I think it would be better to just write a pluggin and be done with it. It seams like if I ever got it to a suitable level of sofistication to allow others to use it a pluggin would be the prefered format anyway.

Does anyone have links for the iTunes pluggin development pages.  I've half-assed a search but couldn't find anything.  I've been writting my own application (stand alone) that does some of this stuff, but I think it would be better to just write a pluggin and be done with it.  It seams like if I ever got it to a suitable level of sofistication to allow others to use it a pluggin would be the prefered format anyway.

Yes, I think there area already loads of stand alone applications that do most of this. PodWorks and iPodRip are the two most popular that I can think of. PodWorks seems to be the best right now as it reads the metadata from the actual database on the iPod itself, instead of just reading the ID3 tags, so it seems to be a little faster. It also has an import option to the iTunes library, but it still is just too much. I would much prefer a plugin or even a hack (gasp) that would allow me to just drag and drop files back from the iPod into the Library, same as I do for the reverse.

Were you to code this, you would be my hero (Y). I believe many people at iPodLounge and MacNN have been looking for something like this, so I imagine it would be very popular. Most of the apps available right now just do too much, they remind me of Windows programs. A little bloated in my opinion. For instance, on particular one allows me to copy music back, and play the music, create playlists, and adds controls to the menu bar. I use iTunes already for all that. I just want that one feature back that seems to be locked out of iTunes.

I'd be willing to try. I've already got code that does mp3 cd burning, and copies files from the ipod. I'm working at getting it to send to the ipod and burn audio cds (this is more of an exercise to learn cocoa). I could try to start making this work in iTunes but I cannot find any useful plugin information aside from the "creating a visualization plugin" for itunes article at developer.apple.com

I know apple has a away to get at the itunes plugin api (remember that icommune thing), but i can't find it.