Meet the browser: Microsoft Edge Next

indospot

Edge has been working very well for me. I have enabled everything in the experimental flags, and the only issue I have is with Google websites, which are retarded.

• Like 2
BooBerry

Edge has been working very well for me. I have enabled everything in the experimental flags, and the only issue I have is with Google websites, which are retarded.

blink/webkit prefix issues?

• Like 6
indospot

I don't really know. If I open my G+ notifications on youtube, it doesn't work. Adding links to posts in Blogger is very wonky. And so on.

FiB3R

Snappy topic title :laugh:

BooBerry

Snappy topic title :laugh:

For a snappy browser(compared to ie11) :D

• Like 7
Anibal P

I'll give it a shot in Win 10, but I suspect it will be real good to use to download a better browser for those that are serious 

BooBerry

I'll give it a shot in Win 10, but I suspect it will be real good to use to download a better browser for those that are serious 

It's just a Alpha version now.

Still casual browsing works good.

• Like 6
+Zagadka

Importing bookmarks as a possible future update... that is pretty unacceptable.

• Like 1
+LostCat

I don't know how to download Edge from Edge, so I guess I'll let the OS update it instead :D 

George P

They're moving fast with Edge, and they've already added quite a lot of stuff to it.  Performance should be top notch if you look at the early benchmarks so far, so I don't worry about that.

As far as features go, this new browser team is serious IMO, so don't expect RTM in the summer and then nothing for 8 months or a year like with IE,  I'm betting we'll see at least one new version a month, and at the most once a week post RTM.

T3X4S

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

• Like 1
George P

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

You'd have to use it and visit the sites you always do to find out.  Benchmarks will tell you that performance shouldn't be an issue for you or others.

• Like 1
T3X4S

OK - that is a good answer.  If it benches fast, whether in comparison to other browsers, or against targeted data schemas - then if one does have a performance issue, its a safe bet the problem lies elsewhere than with the browser - never thought of it like that - thx George P.

MrPringles

You'd have to use it and visit the sites you always do to find out.  Benchmarks will tell you that performance shouldn't be an issue for you or others.

As an TP build it's quite stable & fast.

Works great for casual browsing.

OK - that is a good answer.  If it benches fast, whether in comparison to other browsers, or against targeted data schemas - then if one does have a performance issue, its a safe bet the problem lies elsewhere than with the browser - never thought of it like that - thx George P.

Even heavy sites work fine & CPU/Ram usage is very low too.

• Like 1
tompkin

All of these nice features, and yet no cross platform browser.  :dontgetit:

Boo Berry

All of these nice features, and yet no cross platform browser.  :dontgetit:

Why would they need a cross platform browser? There's plenty to choose from.

tompkin

Why would they need a cross platform browser? There's plenty to choose from.

To me, each one has a problem. 

Chrome desktop syncs with my Android browser well. But the problem is, on my desktop machine it's bloaty. All things being equal I would prefer IE. At least on my machine, IE is snappier.

Firefox works great on my desktop, but the mobile browsers performance is almost unusable. Slow and frequent stalls. 

IE works great on the desktop, but again no syncing on the android phone or tablet.

Opera's mobile browser on the phone/tablet seems to be in the same condition as Firefox on mobile according to their support forums. (I haven't tried it.)

I was hoping that Edge would be a snappy browser on Windows 10 and have versions on Android that would sync bookmarks, etc.

Alas, it's not a perfect world.  :/

LUTZIFER

I'm still sticking with IE. IE is super fast, and blocks all ads.

Edge is still in early stages, so who knows, but as it is, I can't use it if it doesn't block ads, as is.

tompkin

I'm still sticking with IE. IE is super fast, and blocks all ads.

Edge is still in early stages, so who knows, but as it is, I can't use it if it doesn't block ads, as is.

I see that you have an LG G3 as well. Did you ever try the bookmark syncing, etc.? 

Since all my Microsoft Apps: Office Apps, OneDrive, sync so well via the MS Account, I might forgo bookmark syncing and go back to IE. 

I can't believe that Google let Chrome get so bloaty on the desktop. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases Edge Dev 88.0.680.1 with Caret Mode for PDFs and more
      by Rich Woods

It's that time again. This week's Edge Dev is available, and the version number is 88.0.680.1. It's the second build of Edge 88 in the weekly channel. As usual, there's not a whole lot that's new.

However, Microsoft did launch vertical tabs in the Dev channel earlier this week. That wasn't through a new build though. It was a server-side change, so everyone just got it. Edge Canary finally got history sync this week, so that's another thing that you can expect to arrive as a server-side change in the Dev channel soon.

As for this build, there's now Caret Mode for PDFs, better copy and paste on Macs, and more. Here's the list of new features:

As always, there are some fixes and known issues. Here's what got fixed for improved reliability:

Here's what got fixed for changed behavior:

Finally, here's what's still broken:

As always, you can update your browser manually by going to Settings -> About Microsoft Edge. If you don't, your browser will update in the background at some point.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft will revamp the new tab page for Edge enterprise users with version 87
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft today announced that it is adding a ‘My Feed’ section in the new tab page on Edge for Enterprise users starting with version 87, bringing a curated list of topics and content for business users that can be tweaked by users and IT admins. The topics served in the My Feed section will include “industry information most relevant to your industry, or your company”, says the Redmond firm.

Users who are logged in to their Azure Active Directory accounts can currently choose to view recent documents, recommended files, and more depending on their activity history on the Office 365 tab. The My Feed section, just like on the new tab page for consumers, will provide users with news articles and other links based on their company’s domain. Users can also tweak their interests through the 'Personalize' section, choosing the topics that they would like to include or exclude from the feed.

The My Feed section can be viewed in a tile view or be organized based on different topics, which can be toggled by the control on the top right corner. This new section replaces the default view for those that selected the ‘Microsoft News’ option in the settings flyout, merging Office 365 and news articles into the new tab page, accessed via these sections.

As with Microsoft’s business offerings, the feed can be tailored by IT admins through the Admin Center. The firm also reiterates that the experience adheres to the Microsoft 365 compliance policies.

The My Feed section for Edge Enterprise users will begin showing up starting with version 87 of the browser that is expected to be released next month. Users running preview builds can already test the feature out. The firm has also posted a support document for backward compatibility information and notes that the “Office.com domain that serves Office 365 content” will stop working with Edge version 90.

• By Abhay V
      Some Edge Canary users can finally enable history and open tabs' sync
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft announced back in December of 2018 that it was moving its browser offering to one based on the Chromium open-source project. The firm began testing Edge builds in April 2019 before finally making it generally available in January 2020. However, it wasn’t until this June that the browser began replacing the legacy version automatically. The first version of Windows 10 to ship with Chromium-based Edge is the October 2020 Update (version 20H2).

However, one key feature that the Redmond giant’s offering has been missing since its inception is the ability to sync history and tabs, something almost all other rival products based on Chromium offer. Now, it looks like that feature is finally ready for testing, as some users have begun reporting on Reddit (spotted by WindowsLatest) that the setting to turn on tab and history sync is active in the Canary version of Edge.

Image credit: evdev (Reddit) The option to sync ‘History’ and ‘Open tabs’ is no longer greyed out for these users and can be turned on to enable syncing between different devices logged into the same profile. At least one user could enable the feature between their macOS and Windows 10 machines.

It looks like the feature is being enabled to only a small set of users running Edge Canary build 88.0.682.0 or newer. It is possible that more users begin seeing the capability enabled with future builds.

The appearance of the feature should not be a huge surprise, considering that the company recently revised the timeline for the arrival of this feature from next summer to November, which it announced as part of the feedback summary for last week’s Edge Dev build.

The addition of this feature will be a welcome one for those who have been holding out from moving to Microsoft’s offering due to the absence of the ability to sync history and open tabs between devices. That said, considering that the feature has just begun showing up on Canary, it could be a while before it makes it to the other channels, and eventually, the production builds.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases manual update packages for removing Adobe Flash from Windows
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Back in September, Microsoft reminded users about the removal of Flash from the Edge browser and Windows, stating that the company will release an optional update for the latter this fall that will remove Adobe Flash Player completely from the OS. As promised, the Redmond giant has made that optional update available for download through the Update Catalog (spotted by BleepingComputer).

The knowledge base article is KB4577586 and the update is called “Update for Removal of Adobe Flash Player” followed by the version number of the OS for which the package is designated for. You can head to the Update Catalog here to download the update package for your preferred version. The packages are available for all currently supported Windows versions – including LTSB versions – and the related Windows Server versions.

It must be noted that the package can currently be downloaded only via the Update Catalog for manual installation. The Redmond firm noted in the announcement earlier this year that it will begin releasing this very update via other channels such as Windows Update as a recommended update after Flash Player reaches the end of support on December 31, 2020.

Additionally, users that currently install KB4577586 manually do not have an option to uninstall or roll back the update and will have to perform a clean installation of the OS to be able to reinstall Flash. The company has also stated that it will be removing all APIs, group policies, and interfaces that are used for managing Flash later next summer.

Image credit: BleepingComputer Interestingly, folks over at BleepingComputer noticed that installing the update did not get rid of Flash both on Edge and in the OS. The publication has reached out to Microsoft to request clarification. It is not clear if the firm will release another manual update package before serving it to all users through the usual channels.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft is apparently launching vertical tabs in Edge Dev today [Update: now live]
      by Rich Woods

It's been a while since Microsoft announced vertical tabs for its Edge browser, and the feature has been available in the Canary channel since August. All you have to do to use it is enable a flag. Now, it's seemingly coming to the Dev channel today.

The news is according to a now-deleted tweet from the Edge Dev Twitter account. The tweet strangely linked to a blog post from earlier this month about a new favorites experience.

We're also due for a new Edge Dev build. Microsoft releases new builds to the Dev channel weekly, and typically on Tuesdays, so the timing here lines up. It also seems likely given that this feature has been available in the Canary channel for so long.

The team will announce the new Edge Dev build when it's available, and it should contain more detailed instructions on how to use the vertical tabs feature. Unlike the Canary builds, you probably won't need to activate a flag to use the feature in the Dev channel. When it is active though, there will be a toggle in the top-left to turn the feature on or off.

Update: It's official, and the feature is now live. You don't need to enable a flag; just click the icon in the top-left of the browser. You also don't need to install a new Edge Dev build. This seems to be a server-side change.