Meet the browser: Microsoft Edge Next

indospot

Edge has been working very well for me. I have enabled everything in the experimental flags, and the only issue I have is with Google websites, which are retarded.

• Like 2
BooBerry

Edge has been working very well for me. I have enabled everything in the experimental flags, and the only issue I have is with Google websites, which are retarded.

blink/webkit prefix issues?

• Like 6
indospot

I don't really know. If I open my G+ notifications on youtube, it doesn't work. Adding links to posts in Blogger is very wonky. And so on.

FiB3R

Snappy topic title :laugh:

BooBerry

Snappy topic title :laugh:

For a snappy browser(compared to ie11) :D

• Like 7
Anibal P

I'll give it a shot in Win 10, but I suspect it will be real good to use to download a better browser for those that are serious 

BooBerry

I'll give it a shot in Win 10, but I suspect it will be real good to use to download a better browser for those that are serious 

It's just a Alpha version now.

Still casual browsing works good.

• Like 6
+Zagadka

Importing bookmarks as a possible future update... that is pretty unacceptable.

• Like 1
+LostCat

I don't know how to download Edge from Edge, so I guess I'll let the OS update it instead :D 

George P

They're moving fast with Edge, and they've already added quite a lot of stuff to it.  Performance should be top notch if you look at the early benchmarks so far, so I don't worry about that.

As far as features go, this new browser team is serious IMO, so don't expect RTM in the summer and then nothing for 8 months or a year like with IE,  I'm betting we'll see at least one new version a month, and at the most once a week post RTM.

T3X4S

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

• Like 1
George P

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

You'd have to use it and visit the sites you always do to find out.  Benchmarks will tell you that performance shouldn't be an issue for you or others.

• Like 1
T3X4S

OK - that is a good answer.  If it benches fast, whether in comparison to other browsers, or against targeted data schemas - then if one does have a performance issue, its a safe bet the problem lies elsewhere than with the browser - never thought of it like that - thx George P.

MrPringles

You'd have to use it and visit the sites you always do to find out.  Benchmarks will tell you that performance shouldn't be an issue for you or others.

As an TP build it's quite stable & fast.

Works great for casual browsing.

OK - that is a good answer.  If it benches fast, whether in comparison to other browsers, or against targeted data schemas - then if one does have a performance issue, its a safe bet the problem lies elsewhere than with the browser - never thought of it like that - thx George P.

Even heavy sites work fine & CPU/Ram usage is very low too.

• Like 1
tompkin

All of these nice features, and yet no cross platform browser.  :dontgetit:

Boo Berry

All of these nice features, and yet no cross platform browser.  :dontgetit:

Why would they need a cross platform browser? There's plenty to choose from.

tompkin

Why would they need a cross platform browser? There's plenty to choose from.

To me, each one has a problem. 

Chrome desktop syncs with my Android browser well. But the problem is, on my desktop machine it's bloaty. All things being equal I would prefer IE. At least on my machine, IE is snappier.

Firefox works great on my desktop, but the mobile browsers performance is almost unusable. Slow and frequent stalls. 

IE works great on the desktop, but again no syncing on the android phone or tablet.

Opera's mobile browser on the phone/tablet seems to be in the same condition as Firefox on mobile according to their support forums. (I haven't tried it.)

I was hoping that Edge would be a snappy browser on Windows 10 and have versions on Android that would sync bookmarks, etc.

Alas, it's not a perfect world.  :/

LUTZIFER

I'm still sticking with IE. IE is super fast, and blocks all ads.

Edge is still in early stages, so who knows, but as it is, I can't use it if it doesn't block ads, as is.

tompkin

I'm still sticking with IE. IE is super fast, and blocks all ads.

Edge is still in early stages, so who knows, but as it is, I can't use it if it doesn't block ads, as is.

I see that you have an LG G3 as well. Did you ever try the bookmark syncing, etc.? 

Since all my Microsoft Apps: Office Apps, OneDrive, sync so well via the MS Account, I might forgo bookmark syncing and go back to IE. 

I can't believe that Google let Chrome get so bloaty on the desktop. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked to the web
      by Abhay Venkatesh

A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked on to the web, giving those interested in going through the tricky process of installing it a glimpse at Microsoft’s latest OS – a competitor to Google’s lightweight Chrome OS. The initial release is expected to be aimed only at single screened PCs and is reportedly set to launch this spring.

Windows 10X was first showed off back in October 2019 and was aimed at dual-screened devices like the Surface Neo. However, with the Neo delayed indefinitely, the Redmond giant repurposed the OS for single-screened devices. Additionally, while the OS was expected to debut with support for Win32 apps through a virtualization technology called VAIL, those plans reportedly changed, making Windows 10X an offering slated to debut on low-end devices due to its lightweight nature.

Microsoft is supposedly planning to add Win32 app support in the future and the OS is not expected to arrive on new form factors – such as dual-screened devices – till at least 2022. A report from The Verge suggests that the leaked build contains support for Win32 apps in a developer-only mode which cannot be accessed by general users. For now, the offering runs UWP apps from the Microsoft Store and Progressive Web Apps through the Chromium-based Edge browser.

With the development of the company’s lightweight OS now nearing completion, it will be interesting to see when the firm plans to unveil the offering officially. Rumors are making the rounds that the launch will be one without much fanfare. OEM partners are also expected to unveil low-power PCs running Windows 10X aimed at the education market and the like in the coming months.

Considering the risks and complexities associated with installing leaked builds, we will not be posting links to any resources for the build. Additionally, we always urge users to exercise caution and not install these builds on their main machines.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases Edge Dev 89.0.760.0 with Password Monitor for Mac users
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft has released the second Edge Dev build for this year, bringing version 89.0.760.0 to users in the Dev channel. Today’s build adds a few new features, chief of which is the Password Monitor feature for macOS users. While the feature has been available to Insiders on Windows for a while now, it is being enabled for Mac users with this build. As a reminder, the firm added support for Apple Silicon Macs with last week’s build.

In addition to the password monitor, there are a few other minor additions relating to management and update policies. Here is the complete list of features added with today’s release:

As usual, the update also brings with it a bunch of reliability improvements. Here is the complete list of fixes:

And here are all the fixes for changed behavior:

Lastly, there are a bunch of known issues with the update, some of which are being tracked for a past few releases. Here are all the known issues:

The browser should automatically be updated in the background for Dev users. However, you can also force-check for an update via Settings > About Microsoft Edge and pull the update manually.

• By Rich Woods
      Edge Dev 89.0.752.1 is out with support for Apple M1 chips
      by Rich Woods

It's been a few weeks due to the holiday season, but Microsoft released a new Edge Dev build today. It brings the browser to version 89.0.752.1, and the most notable new feature is that it supports Apple's new ARM-based MacBooks. The feature showed up in the Canary channel in mid-December, but Microsoft paused all updates through the holidays.

As for what else is new, it's mostly minor features. Here's the full list:

And of course there are a bunch of fixed and known issues. Here's what got fixed for improved reliability:

Here are the fixes for changed behavior:

Finally, here's the list of known issues:

You can manually update your browser by going to Settings -> About Microsoft Edge. If you don't feel like it, you can just wait for it to update in the background.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft begins rolling out history and open tabs' sync for users on Edge stable
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft made its Chromium-based Edge browser generally available back in January last year. The rollout was a slow one and the company did not begin shipping the browser with Windows 10 till the October 2020 Update (version 20H2). However, one significant feature that was absent at launch – and one that is still not completely available – is the ability to sync browser history and tabs across devices. The feature began rolling out to testers in October and has been a long time coming.

Now, it looks like users running the stable version of the Edge browser have begun receiving the feature. The 'History' and 'Open tabs' options under the ‘Sync’ page in settings are now being enabled for some users, and it looks to be a server-side change. Enabling the feature lets users sync their browser history across devices, making it easy to pick up where they left off, not just on Windows PCs but also across other platforms such as macOS.

The feature also began showing up for a small set of users on Android devices last month. With the rollout now commencing – albeit in a limited manner, it will not be surprising to see the capability make it to the mobile versions of the browser for all users soon. The addition of the feature will also make it easier for more users to switch to Edge from competing offerings such as Chrome.

Are you able to enable history and tab sync on your Edge browser? Let us know in the comments!

• By Rich Woods
      Motorola announces 23 phones getting Android 11, showing how convoluted its lineup is
      by Rich Woods

Today, Motorola announced a long list of phones that it plans to update to the latest version of Android, Android 11. In its entirety, there are 23 smartphones on the list, ranging from the firm's latest razr and edge flagships, to its moto g and one mid-range devices. None of the moto e entry-level devices are getting an upgrade.

Here's the full list, including one Lenovo-branded smartphone:

You'll notice that while 23 devices sounds like a lot, it's not actually because Motorola is expanding its support to older or lower-end devices. No, it's just a reflection of how large and confusing the company's lineup has become. There are now 12 moto g devices that fall under the two-year support umbrella, and then another six Motorola one devices that are in the same mid-range category. That makes up for over three quarters of the list.

And then you have the two razr and two edge handsets, which make up the flagship segment. One line of devices to not make the list is moto z, so we can probably assume that the moto z line is dead (we've reached out to Motorola for confirmation). The moto z line was introduced as a replacement for the moto z in the flagship segment, offering modular attachments. Over the years, the devices became less premium in an attempt to lower the cost of the device itself and therefore lower the cost of the package of the phone and some moto mods.

Motorola didn't say when these devices will get their Android 11 updates, but they'll likely arrive throughout 2021.