Meet the browser: Microsoft Edge Next

indospot

Edge has been working very well for me. I have enabled everything in the experimental flags, and the only issue I have is with Google websites, which are retarded.

• Like 2
BooBerry

Edge has been working very well for me. I have enabled everything in the experimental flags, and the only issue I have is with Google websites, which are retarded.

blink/webkit prefix issues?

• Like 6
indospot

I don't really know. If I open my G+ notifications on youtube, it doesn't work. Adding links to posts in Blogger is very wonky. And so on.

FiB3R

Snappy topic title :laugh:

BooBerry

Snappy topic title :laugh:

For a snappy browser(compared to ie11) :D

• Like 7
Anibal P

I'll give it a shot in Win 10, but I suspect it will be real good to use to download a better browser for those that are serious 

BooBerry

I'll give it a shot in Win 10, but I suspect it will be real good to use to download a better browser for those that are serious 

It's just a Alpha version now.

Still casual browsing works good.

• Like 6
+Zagadka

Importing bookmarks as a possible future update... that is pretty unacceptable.

• Like 1
+LostCat

I don't know how to download Edge from Edge, so I guess I'll let the OS update it instead :D 

George P

They're moving fast with Edge, and they've already added quite a lot of stuff to it.  Performance should be top notch if you look at the early benchmarks so far, so I don't worry about that.

As far as features go, this new browser team is serious IMO, so don't expect RTM in the summer and then nothing for 8 months or a year like with IE,  I'm betting we'll see at least one new version a month, and at the most once a week post RTM.

T3X4S

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

• Like 1
George P

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

You'd have to use it and visit the sites you always do to find out.  Benchmarks will tell you that performance shouldn't be an issue for you or others.

• Like 1
T3X4S

OK - that is a good answer.  If it benches fast, whether in comparison to other browsers, or against targeted data schemas - then if one does have a performance issue, its a safe bet the problem lies elsewhere than with the browser - never thought of it like that - thx George P.

MrPringles

You'd have to use it and visit the sites you always do to find out.  Benchmarks will tell you that performance shouldn't be an issue for you or others.

As an TP build it's quite stable & fast.

Works great for casual browsing.

OK - that is a good answer.  If it benches fast, whether in comparison to other browsers, or against targeted data schemas - then if one does have a performance issue, its a safe bet the problem lies elsewhere than with the browser - never thought of it like that - thx George P.

Even heavy sites work fine & CPU/Ram usage is very low too.

• Like 1
tompkin

All of these nice features, and yet no cross platform browser.  :dontgetit:

Boo Berry

All of these nice features, and yet no cross platform browser.  :dontgetit:

Why would they need a cross platform browser? There's plenty to choose from.

tompkin

Why would they need a cross platform browser? There's plenty to choose from.

To me, each one has a problem. 

Chrome desktop syncs with my Android browser well. But the problem is, on my desktop machine it's bloaty. All things being equal I would prefer IE. At least on my machine, IE is snappier.

Firefox works great on my desktop, but the mobile browsers performance is almost unusable. Slow and frequent stalls. 

IE works great on the desktop, but again no syncing on the android phone or tablet.

Opera's mobile browser on the phone/tablet seems to be in the same condition as Firefox on mobile according to their support forums. (I haven't tried it.)

I was hoping that Edge would be a snappy browser on Windows 10 and have versions on Android that would sync bookmarks, etc.

Alas, it's not a perfect world.  :/

LUTZIFER

I'm still sticking with IE. IE is super fast, and blocks all ads.

Edge is still in early stages, so who knows, but as it is, I can't use it if it doesn't block ads, as is.

tompkin

I'm still sticking with IE. IE is super fast, and blocks all ads.

Edge is still in early stages, so who knows, but as it is, I can't use it if it doesn't block ads, as is.

I see that you have an LG G3 as well. Did you ever try the bookmark syncing, etc.? 

Since all my Microsoft Apps: Office Apps, OneDrive, sync so well via the MS Account, I might forgo bookmark syncing and go back to IE. 

I can't believe that Google let Chrome get so bloaty on the desktop. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft Edge will now let you know if your password is compromised
      by Usama Jawad

Yesterday, Microsoft announced a bunch of new features coming to its Edge browser, including sidebar search, history sync, and more. Another nifty capability coming to the browser is Password Monitor, which alerts you if you are using unsafe credentials. The service began rolling out to Insiders back in June 2020 and is now being made available to the general public in Edge 88. Microsoft has detailed the feature in a dedicated blog post.

Password Monitor is the outcome of collaboration between the Edge product team and a former Microsoft Research incubation group called the "Cryptography and Privacy Research Group". The underlying technology is based on homomorphic encryption and is built on top of the Microsoft SEAL homomorphic encryption library.

Simply stated, Password Monitor contacts a server periodically and verifies that the credentials you have saved in Edge are not present in a database of breached credentials. If they are, the user is immediately alerted and asked to change them. It is important to note that neither Microsoft nor any other third-party can see your credentials, with the technology also secure against man-in-the-middle attacks so a malicious actor cannot hijack your password during transit between your browser and the server.

Microsoft has also modified its SEAL library to ensure multi-platform support on various architectures including ARM, x86, and Mac, and it is also compatible with low-end devices. The firm has described the principles of homomorphic encryption in its blog post as well for our more cybersecurity-savvy readers. Microsoft has emphasized that the process consumes minimal network bandwidth, optimizes CPU utilization, and that the Password Monitor service is capable of handling a "large number" of client requests.

Password Monitor will be made available to Edge users on a rolling basis so it will not be immediately visible to everyone. You can head over to the dedicated supported page to find out how to enable it.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft Edge 88 is coming today with sidebar search, history sync, and more
      by Rich Woods

In its What's New in Web Experiences blog post, Microsoft announced some new features that are arriving for its Edge browser starting today. This is all stuff for the stable channel, so if you're an Insider that's been testing features in the Beta, Dev, or Canary channels, this will be pretty familiar to you.

First of all, sidebar search is now generally available. The feature is exactly what it sounds like. You can highlight some text, right-click, and choose to search in the sidebar.

Another new feature coming this month is that you'll be able to see your Outlook emails from the new tab page. To do this, add Outlook to your quick links on the new tab page, and then they'll appear. You do need to be signed into the same account on both Outlook and Edge for this to work.

Next up is history and open tab sync. Basic features that were included in Chrome for years, many were surprised when Edge hit general availability over a year ago without these features. But now, they're here for both mobile and desktop. They actually started rolling out a couple of weeks ago, but everyone should have them starting today.

There's a lot more. Automatic profile switching is coming to macOS, and more importantly, Edge supports themes now. You can get them from the Edge add-ons store, the Chrome store, or any other Chromium theme store. You'll also find Microsoft's new Fluent Design elements that it announced a while back, even if you wouldn't notice them if you weren't specifically looking for them.

Microsoft is introducing sleeping tabs, which is releasing system resources on tabs that you're not using. You'll need to enable this in settings to use it. And finally, Microsoft has a new password generator. It's just what it sounds like, automatically creating secure passwords for you.

All of this is rolling out starting today. It comes as part of Edge 88, which should be available shortly.

• By indospot
      Microsoft adds themes to the Edge add-ons store
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft has added new themes to the add-ons store for the Chromium-based Edge browser, giving users some more room for customization. Edge has supported Chrome themes for some time, but like all add-ons from outside Microsoft's own platform, you would need to manually enable the ability to install them from the browser settings.

There are over two dozen new themes available on the Edge add-ons store today, though Microsoft has previously released some celebratory ones, too. The one based on Wonder Woman 1984 was actually made available a while back to tie into the release of the movie, for example.

The majority of the themes available are based on Microsoft properties, more specifically Xbox games. There are themes based on Halo, Gears of War, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and a few more titles. There are also some that are described as bringing the "delightful and eye-catching artwork of Microsoft 365" to the browser.

Of course, you can still install themes from the Chrome Web Store if Microsoft's offerings are too limited, and recently, Microsoft also added the ability to choose color-based themes right from the browser's settings, though this is still not widely available. If you want to check out the new Microsoft themes, you can do so here.

• By Abhay V
      Edge Dev build 89.0.767.0 is now out with minor autofill improvements and more
      by Abhay Venkatesh

It’s a new week, which means it’s time for a new Edge Dev build. Today, Microsoft is releasing build 89.0.767.0 to the Dev channel with a few new features, including the ability to save and autofill birthdays in text fields. The browser will now also detect possible addresses copied to the clipboard and suggest that information as data for forms or fields that require addresses.

The firm says that it has also completed the rollout of vertical tabs for all Dev users, so that feature should be enabled by default. Additionally, the firm recaps the recently added ability to test the Chromium-based Edge browser on HoloLens 2 devices that was rolled out through a Dev channel build.

Here is the complete list of features added with today’s build:

As usual, the firm is also documenting the various fixes made to the browser. Here is the list for the fixes for improved reliability:

And here is what’s fixed for addressing changed behavior:

And lastly, here are all the known issues that the firm is tracking, some of which have been on the list since the last few releases:

As usual, today’s build should be automatically downloaded and installed by the browser in the background. Alternatively, you can head into Settings > About Microsoft Edge to force-check for an update and download it.

Another noteworthy news for Edge Insiders is that the Beta channel builds for macOS now ship with support for Apple Silicon, something that the firm announced late last week. For those keeping a tab on the stable releases, Microsoft is expected to release version 88 for all users sometime this week.

• By Abhay V
      A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked to the web
      by Abhay Venkatesh

A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked on to the web, giving those interested in going through the tricky process of installing it a glimpse at Microsoft’s latest OS – a competitor to Google’s lightweight Chrome OS. The initial release is expected to be aimed only at single screened PCs and is reportedly set to launch this spring.

Windows 10X was first showed off back in October 2019 and was aimed at dual-screened devices like the Surface Neo. However, with the Neo delayed indefinitely, the Redmond giant repurposed the OS for single-screened devices. Additionally, while the OS was expected to debut with support for Win32 apps through a virtualization technology called VAIL, those plans reportedly changed, making Windows 10X an offering slated to debut on low-end devices due to its lightweight nature.

Microsoft is supposedly planning to add Win32 app support in the future and the OS is not expected to arrive on new form factors – such as dual-screened devices – till at least 2022. A report from The Verge suggests that the leaked build contains support for Win32 apps in a developer-only mode which cannot be accessed by general users. For now, the offering runs UWP apps from the Microsoft Store and Progressive Web Apps through the Chromium-based Edge browser.

With the development of the company’s lightweight OS now nearing completion, it will be interesting to see when the firm plans to unveil the offering officially. Rumors are making the rounds that the launch will be one without much fanfare. OEM partners are also expected to unveil low-power PCs running Windows 10X aimed at the education market and the like in the coming months.

Considering the risks and complexities associated with installing leaked builds, we will not be posting links to any resources for the build. Additionally, we always urge users to exercise caution and not install these builds on their main machines.