Meet the browser: Edge Next

With

Windows 10 to Insiders, version 10240

Under the hood changes for Edge have improved the browsers' performance when compared to Chrome. The company released a few stats to showcase the performance improvements.

• On WebKit Sunspider, Edge is 112% faster than Chrome
  • On Google Octane, Edge is 11% faster than Chrome
  • On Apple JetStream, Edge is 37% faster than Chrome

Impressed with the speed of this browser. Just needs extension support asap!

Chromes lack of smooth scrolling sticks out like a sore thumb now.

Favourites will not stick when you re-order them (and even worse, folders will go into other folders if you don't drop them exactly right), that and the lack of plugins will leave me on Chrome for the moment.

Favourites will not stick when you re-order them (and even worse, folders will go into other folders if you don't drop them exactly right)

This was fixed for me in 10166. I can rearrange the order of the favorites and it'll save correctly.

The results

Apple JetStream

Google Octane

Mozilla Kraken

Peacekeeper

SunSpider

WebXPRT

Microsoft Edge

Google Chrome Stable

Google Chrome Canary

Opera Stable

Vivaldi TP4

Mozilla Firefox Stable

Mozilla Firefox Nightly

Pale Moon Stable

failed

The computer was idle while benchmarks were run. Still, some results were puzzling, for instance that Chrome Stable beat Chrome Canary in some benchmarks, that Firefox Stable performed better in all benchmarks than Nightly, or that Pale Moon failed on Apple's JetStream benchmark (it got stuck while running the cdjs test).

Most results are fairly close when you compare them but there are a couple of exceptions:

1. Microsoft Edge dominates the Apple JetStream and SunSpider benchmark.
  2. Edge's PeaceKeeper performance was weak by a large percentage.
  3. Pale Moon performed considerably worse than other browsers in most -- but not all -- benchmarks.

There is more to a browser than JavaScript performance, especially if the differences in performance are not that noticeable in the real-world.

Microsoft has been right that Edge performs better than Chrome in the browser's the company selected for comparison. It did not perform as well in others though and here it is Peacekeeper more than any other benchmark where it performs badly.

Firefox Nightly has some changes to the way the JS engine handles objects, should be faster in the long run, but currently it slows down some benchmarks.

It probably won't need it once extensions are added.

It just means I have to hold off from upgrading to Windows 10. :(

TPL + malware blocking hosts is the current best solution to block ads in IE11.

TPL + malware blocking hosts is the current best solution to block ads in IE11.

Nah, I wouldn't say it's the best. Ad blocking (and userscripts) are working fine in both IE and Edge on Windows 10 for me. :)

Nah, I wouldn't say it's the best. Ad blocking (and userscripts) are working fine in both IE and Edge on Windows 10 for me. :)

But without a tracking protection list - you are using a system wide proxy type thing?

But without a tracking protection list - you are using a system wide proxy type thing?

Something like that. Don't need to use a tracking protection list as it's built in also when using one of the many good tracking filters available. :)

• 1 month later...

As a developer, I'm very thrilled with the progres they're making with ECMAScript 6 support. Already 88% (with experminental features enabled) in the latest build. I'm looking forward to more!

Good News and huge move.. WebM is in Development now.

http://dev.modern.ie/platform/status/webmcontainer/

Opus Audio Codec - High Priority Backlog

OGG Vorbis - Medium Priority Backlog

Complete U Turn in good way. IMO.

Edited by Zlip792

• 4 weeks later...

They're going to make Edge support pretty much everything they can, it'll just take time but odds are if it's a open standard/code etc,  and it's in use to some degree on the web, they'll support it.   I don't worry about EdgeHTML and Javascript performance, I just want them to move faster with user facing features that people are asking for, and no I don't mean extension support, it's other little things that are needed that even IE11 has/does.

• 1 month later...

Caniuse.com is also listing Edge 14 already, not sure there have been any official announcements about that update though. Should start to see it in the next preview. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...