Project Cars on Xbox One

So, Project Cars is out for the X1.  

Can anyone share their experiences with it?  I'm wondering how it is and how it performs.

Thanks!

I am picking it up on PS4 myself as I already have a dedicated wheel but Digital Foundry has done a Face Off. May be worth a read.

After reading it myself if I had a decent PC I would get it for PC, but I am holding off on building my new gaming PC until the end of the year so for me it was one of the console versions. Since I have a wheel for the PS4 it was an easy decision, but it sounds like both console versions have some small issues here and there, but nothing that should detract anyone from picking it up.

Now the gameplay itself seems to be a whole other story. People do not seemed all that pleased so far based on what I am reading. Apparently the game is really difficult to control with a controller on default settings and requires a lot of tweaking to get it to a playable state, and this seems like a pretty solid consensus across the board, not just one or two people.

So, Project Cars is out for the X1.  

Can anyone share their experiences with it?  I'm wondering how it is and how it performs.

Thanks!

I have it for the Xbox One as well. So far, so good. If you have played Race Pro 07 for the Xbox 360 and enjoyed it, you will like this game. The learning curve in this racing game is beyond anything you would find in the traditional games like Forza, Need For Speed, GT, PGR and Ridge Racers.

Load times are pretty good. Menu's and options are plentiful. The amount of tweaking you can do in game to race setup to car setup, pit setups is mind boggling. There are about 65 solid cars (though missing many racers I would have liked to have seen in the game, especially Corvette brand). A great wealth of tracks. I have found some sound issues where there will be a 1-2 second time every so often where the game must be glitching and giving you this "tunnel" like sound. It's not often, but it is distracting.

Controlling the cars is a whole new beast. I can tell you this, there is already a plethora of recommended controller settings out there from gamers that take the otherwise tough controls to making them usable and friendly. But you will want to have multiple controller setting setups for different performing cars on different tracks (which the game allows you to do).

Graphically, it is no Forza. But it also runs at 600 fps in the physics (where as Forza 5 only does them at 360 fps)...which is taxing to the system, has a great weather setup along with day/night cycle (which impacts the frames per second to drop). But there are just so many actual RACING features and settings that make this game stand out. Small things like HELMET view (that is in addition to cockpit view). You can also remove the shifter and wheel from the screen if you have a real one.

AI needs a lot of work. But much of this is being patched on the Xbox One. If you are a racing fan and want a new racer, I think you will really enjoy this game. I would wait for the day one patch for the Xbox One that is supposed to address the sound issues, improve the performance 5-7%. They are also looking at updating the multiplayer on the Xbox One to get a lobby workaround instead of just random online matches.

My short experience so far today with this game has been aces. Racing is my thing though, so I might be a bit biased when it comes to racing simulators on console and PC.

Thanks for your input guys.  I'll definitely pick this up, as I love racing games and cars in general.  

I just wish there was a decent and affordable wheel for the X1. 

Thanks for your input guys.  I'll definitely pick this up, as I love racing games and cars in general.  

I just wish there was a decent and affordable wheel for the X1. 

The wheel I got for the PS4 is cheap (well at least compared to wheels,) the Thrustmaster T80,  and they have the same wheel for the One it is just a different name, I think it is the Ferrari Italia one. No rumble or Force Feedback, but I just am not going to pay the price of a whole console for a peripheral that I only use now and then.

So with that said, I can highly recommend it as it is better than the controller for racing games. No doubt about it. But compared to other wheels out there, it is low end. I also own a Logitech GT and the XBox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel. The 360 Wireless one was by far the nicest out of those 3, but the GT was decent too. The one I have now definitely comes in dead last, but it still does the job as far as having a wheel for a racing game.

I purchased mine at GameStop, something I never do, as they said they would take it back within 30 days no questions asked. So if you are looking for a wheel, try that one out. You may be pleasantly surprised, and I can almost guarantee you will love it so much more than using a controller.

One thing I forgot to add, if you do go with this "less expensive" wheel, unless you sit incredibly close to your TV or monitor, I highly suggest picking up this $6 USB Extension cord from Amazon. The cord on the wheel itself is only about 5 foot, if that. Whatever length it is it was way to short for me to use on my TV and couch, and I never had that issue with other wheels.

Great info Larry, thank you!   It looks like the Ferrari branded wheel can be had for about $90 on amazon.  Definitely doable.

I too still have the xbox 360 wheel and my son and I used it many, many times playing Forza 4.  It's a shame they didn't make a comparable product for the X1, or at least an adapter.

Whatever though,  I'm probably going to give the Ferrari wheel a try.

Thanks again!

The wheel I got for the PS4 is cheap (well at least compared to wheels,) the Thrustmaster T80,  and they have the same wheel for the One it is just a different name, I think it is the Ferrari Italia one. No rumble or Force Feedback, but I just am not going to pay the price of a whole console for a peripheral that I only use now and then.

So with that said, I can highly recommend it as it is better than the controller for racing games. No doubt about it. But compared to other wheels out there, it is low end. I also own a Logitech GT and the XBox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel. The 360 Wireless one was by far the nicest out of those 3, but the GT was decent too. The one I have now definitely comes in dead last, but it still does the job as far as having a wheel for a racing game.

I purchased mine at GameStop, something I never do, as they said they would take it back within 30 days no questions asked. So if you are looking for a wheel, try that one out. You may be pleasantly surprised, and I can almost guarantee you will love it so much more than using a controller.

One thing I forgot to add, if you do go with this "less expensive" wheel, unless you sit incredibly close to your TV or monitor, I highly suggest picking up this $6 USB Extension cord from Amazon. The cord on the wheel itself is only about 5 foot, if that. Whatever length it is it was way to short for me to use on my TV and couch, and I never had that issue with other wheels.

Force feedback wheel havegotten ridiculously expensive compared to what they where back in the early 2000's, worst part, they're not even better, a lot of them are even worse. back then there was genuine competition in the FF wheel market, where they competed over having better motors and better drive technolgies and all that. Now Thrustmaster bough all the competition except logitech and Mad Catz, and that other expensive high end wheel maker. and even the crap Mad Catz wheels are ridiculously priced, I could never imagine paying that much for their plastic. 

I wish MS would update their 360 wheel for the ne though, it was decently priced and good enough quality, and FF really adds to the driving when the wheel jerks correctly as you hit curbs or cars. 

Force feedback wheel havegotten ridiculously expensive compared to what they where back in the early 2000's, worst part, they're not even better, a lot of them are even worse. back then there was genuine competition in the FF wheel market, where they competed over having better motors and better drive technolgies and all that. Now Thrustmaster bough all the competition except logitech and Mad Catz, and that other expensive high end wheel maker. and even the crap Mad Catz wheels are ridiculously priced, I could never imagine paying that much for their plastic. 

I wish MS would update their 360 wheel for the ne though, it was decently priced and good enough quality, and FF really adds to the driving when the wheel jerks correctly as you hit curbs or cars. 

I had found some USB stick basically that claims to let you use the 360 wheel on the One, but I cannot find it anymore. It was like $60 USD. The research I had done at the time made it seem pretty legit, but it also just seemed too good to be true. But honestly I think I would pay $60 if it meant that wheel worked and it had all of it's functionality. It was actually an awesome wheel, not counting the power supply recall  :laugh: Which they never actually sent me a replacement power supply, so I was always slightly worried when I used it. But I still used it. Was a really good wheel to be honest, and I think I spent full price on it, and I still had no issue as it was well worth it.

Actually I remember, I got it on sale at Target somehow. Still was well worth it.

I had found some USB stick basically that claims to let you use the 360 wheel on the One, but I cannot find it anymore. It was like $60 USD. The research I had done at the time made it seem pretty legit, but it also just seemed too good to be true. But honestly I think I would pay $60 if it meant that wheel worked and it had all of it's functionality. It was actually an awesome wheel, not counting the power supply recall  :laugh: Which they never actually sent me a replacement power supply, so I was always slightly worried when I used it. But I still used it. Was a really good wheel to be honest, and I think I spent full price on it, and I still had no issue as it was well worth it.

Actually I remember, I got it on sale at Target somehow. Still was well worth it.

Any chance it's this thing?: http://controllermax.com/

Thanks for the feedback. I love racing games and was reading up on this before buying. I love FH2 do I wasn't sure if this game would bring anything newer or more exciting.

On a side note, what is a really good steering wheel for XB1? It would be kind of neat if you could steer with your hands via kinect in FH.