I came here for help. I'm 14 and I'm pretty hairy so I started shaving about 2 months ago. I've been shaving up to my cheekbones or lineup with top of my upper lip. Now I see some pretty visible hair on and above my cheekbone. Just an inch under my eye socket. I would like to shave it but will I get 5 o'clock shadow there after some time or sideburns ? Sideburns will get off so they aren't much of a problem but no one want's 5 o'clock shadow above cheekbones.

Welcome to Neowin. What an odd first post for a (mainly) technology site. :p

I shave up to my cheekbones. The hair would grow back, but it would be at a far slower rate from personal experience.

EDIT: Whoops, I should probably clarify. I shave up and around my cheekbone area, probably to about an inch under my eye as you said above. That hair comes back slower and is lighter as well from my experience, so I wouldn't say there's an issue.

I know this is tech forum but I saw few similar post here :) I don't want to wax it off because I have very sensitive skin and it would give me pain and sideburns for a longer period. I just want to confirm that this hair won't grow back faster/thicker or make me a 5 o'clock shadow.

I know this is tech forum but I saw few similar post here :) I don't want to wax it off because I have very sensitive skin and it would give me pain and sideburns for a longer period. I just want to confirm that this hair won't grow back faster/thicker or make me a 5 o'clock shadow.

that's an urban myth mate, hair does not grow back in thicker or darker, its because the tapered tip of the follicle has been cut off with shaving, kind of an optical illusion.

I wish it was true id shave my head more often! lol

• Like 3

is it a few hairs ? or a bunch of hairs? if it is a few hairs just pluck them. takes about 3 to 4 weeks to grow back

You should not be worrying about that. If your dad is bald or losing his hair then you will be more worry about that when it happens.

I have to shave pretty damned high up my cheeks too, yeah an inch under the eyeline sounds right about where I shave to also.

I started shaving at about 13, and properly about 16.  I am now 37, and I only get the shadow around my beard area and not up to where I shave.  Don't worry :)

I come from Russian and German heritage.  Trust me when I say that I am a very hairy person.  When I was your age and hitting puberty, I hated being hairy.  But now that I am in my mid-30's I have grown to like it.  I have a full beard and I like the look of it.  There are a few areas that I still dislike the full forest of hair and keep it clean (won't get into that here) though.

My advice...embrace who you are and enjoy the fact that you get to shave now.  It is probably something your friends aren't doing yet.

French speaker here so the question might look stupid.

What exactly are Sideburns and 5 o'clock shadows?

I really don't see what problems one might have by just shaving his beard ...

French speaker here so the question might look stupid.

What exactly are Sideburns and 5 o'clock shadows?

I really don't see what problems one might have by just shaving his beard ...

A 5 o'clock shadow is an American term (?) that basically means that even though you shave first thing in the morning by late afternoon (5pm) you already have a good amount of stubble growing.  Sideburns are the hair that you let grow in front of your ear.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/five-o-clock-shadow.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideburns

Welcome to puberty - be happy you can grow facial hair at 14, while when you're 20 you'll still have friends who can't. 

lolol. I wouldn't worry, shave it off and worry about it when it grows back. Chicks dig beards.

laser  

a couple treatments and its gone forever.
pluck - eventrually you will damage the root to the point that it wont come back
wax - you mentioned you dont want to do that
nair - prob shouldn't have chemicals that close to your eyes

those are your only options

It may not seem like it because kids (young adults) can be pretty cruel (especially the insecure ones) - but in time - nobody will care

Consider it "manscaping" - its the 21st century - any clean, well-groomed man does it to some extent (the ones who say "I dont" or "thats stupid" have no need because a member of the opposite sex will never see it.... unless they pay for it. ;)

Welcome, well I don't think your facial hair cares about your cheekbones, the area or line the majority of your hair follows across your face is a bit different for everyone.  If the lines going all the way up there then that's that, if however - as I suspect - its just a few hairs then pluck them.  Also make sure you aren't being paranoid about tiny vellus hair that most people have as is generally invisible unless you're in direct sunlight with a mirror to your face.

Not saying this is the case with you - but I am just making a general comment about something I see all the time.

Whenever I am getting my haircut, my stylist and I make fun of the guys who come in and obsess over the slightest, insignificant detail that only they can see - they will have their stylist redo the haircut 3 times, taking an hour - and the person always leaves a little upset - and never tips.  Mainly middle eastern guys, according to the stylists.

They obsess over the slightest detail that nobody else would ever know/care about.  The funniest thing about all of this though - is these guys are so insecure and so worried about something small, they dont notice the huge, glaring 800 lb gorilla in the mirror....

Again - not saying this is the case with you.

• Jim K locked this topic