Why can't I ping or access a Win 10 pc?

I need some help with this, I'm not able to ping or rdp into a Win 10 pc, the host lookup fails. I haven't changed any settings in the firewall etc, and this used to work just fine with 7/8/8.1. I have a desktop pc and laptop and used to be able to rdp into them easily.

Have you enabled RDP on Win10?  Have you tried by IP instead of hostname?  Also, check to make sure the port is open on the firewall.  Not sure if IGMP is disabled on Win10 by default or not.

You can disable the firewall completely first to see if it's a port issue.

I can ping by ip, but lookup by pc name fails, its always worked before. 

I still can't RDP even with ip. Both the machines have 'allow remote desktop' turned on.

Turning off firewalls didn't fix it either.

Interestingly enough, there's no problem connecting to the machine from my Android phone or a Linux VM, so I think this is a Windows issue.

I can ping by ip, but lookup by pc name fails, its always worked before. 

I still can't RDP even with ip. Both the machines have 'allow remote desktop' turned on.

Turning off firewalls didn't fix it either.

Interestingly enough, there's no problem connecting to the machine from my Android phone or a Linux VM, so I think this is a Windows issue.

I had this issue whilst I was playing about with a test 2012 server. Able to ping by IP but unable to RDP despite it enabled. I disabled all the firewalls, including public firewall on the server and then I was able to connect to it from my Win7 machine.

I just went through and did this, connecting, RDP, from Win 8.1 to Win 10 without disabling any firewalls and by computer name. You stated that you have already have this checked and he box below is NOT checked, correct?

post-548914-0-09698200-1431869553.png

From that, when RDP comes up for logging in try this first:

"computer name\username" for the path to that computer and then the password. Is the computer that you are trying to connect to a local account? If you are trying to connect and the Win 10 computer is logged in as a Microsoft account you need to use that password to get there.

As I stated, by doing it this way I was able to RDP into Win 10 computer from another computer.

by default, ping is disabled in the windows firewall. 

be default, remote desktop (even if you enable it in the remote desktop area above) is disabled by default...even when enabled it doesn't always modify the firewall rules to allow access.

You need to go in and enable manually.

rdp out is enabled, firewalls allow communication out by default.  rdp in is blocked by default