Using server 2003 as a workstation?

Heya :).

Im currently running XP pro sp1, and i just have the itch for change..

Well, being as longhorn alpha is an unstable PoS,i was wondering, is it any good to run server 2003 as a workstation? Will it be any faster? Better memory managemet? Anything?

Is it a good choice, will it be at least as good as my winxp? thanks :)

okay... lets say this one last time...

IT'S A SERVER OS!!!

It doesn't manage memory any differently, tho it does handle drivers and multimedia differently. It was meant to be installed on a box that does NOT have games, apps, etc running on it ever beyond those involved in a client/server environment. there is a reason it's called 2003 -*SERVER*-

q3cdkey.jpg

just search for "workstation" in this section, this has been covered to death, I'm sure you can find plenty of rants, raves, flames, and opinions saying one is better/worse than the other, for whatever you want it to do.

lol good lucking finding someone in neowin thats not going to type what best_uv_d_best just did. Anyways there are some people that have manage to run it a workstation maybe they can help you out with your quest, others are just a little too testy when it comes to this subject, might want to take a look around the forums before you ask a question like that lol, these people are so funny they even have an "alliance" to point out that is a server OS, but don't get discouraged because of that, if you really want to try it out as a workstation give it ago, dont let any of these funny people tell you otherwise. Besides is your computer and your time, so if you ever have any quetions just make sure you find the people that will HELP YOU, and not someone of these "alliance" (lol) members.... good luck

y do u guys car so much? wanna run a sever as a WS then do it, who cares what others think? let them have their closed minds. i run 2003 on my laptop and even after tweaking xp on my 800mhz 256mb desktop it still doesnt boot as fast as my 193mb 400mhz laptop, some services DO help the OS run better, and 2003 seems to do a lot better w/ ram then xp

I'll let you know once I get it installed on my "bitch box".

It shares the wireless connection around here, runs edonk 24/7, acts as a router, private ftp, etc. Right now it also has xp pro sp1 on it, but once I pick up my copy of 2003, it should be fun (being that i'm with the tech dept of my local university, I can get a legit copy of server 2003 for a much discounted price :D score!)

Yah well, im into the IS able to be run as a workstation alliance.

Windwos server 2k3 , here i come.

Oh, and for the record my dad is network administrator, so all he has to do is ask and they give him any software he needs, so ive got just about every version of windows legit on my software shelf ;).

So, thanks :).

Yah well, im into the IS able to be run as a workstation alliance.

Able to, if you know what you're doing. You must have missed the cries of, "My video card/NIC/mouse doesn't work!!!" Do what you want. Just don't ask dumb questions about it and you'll be all right.

I think this "server isn't a workstation" alliance is stupid. If someone wants to use server 2003 as a workstation, let them. I think macs are dumb but i don't give people a hard time for using a mac.

-gosh

I think this "server isn't a workstation" alliance is stupid.  If someone wants to use server 2003 as a workstation, let them.  I think macs are dumb but i don't give people a hard time for using a mac.

-gosh

Yes but do you hear the Mac OSX Users running Mac OSX Server? :whistle:

That is our point!

Heya :).

Im currently running XP pro sp1, and i just have the itch for change..

Well, being as longhorn alpha is an unstable PoS,i was wondering, is it any good to run server 2003 as a workstation? Will it be any faster? Better memory managemet? Anything?

Is it a good choice, will it be at least as good as my winxp? thanks :)

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why are some of you people so incredibly harsh on others curious on certain topics. Last I checked this was Neowin Forums, a popular place to get help from intelligent and helpful people, not intelligent and bitchy. If a person wants to try 2003 as a client, then freakin deal with it, don't belittle them like they should put a gun to their heads because "don't understand" or somethin. The whole anti alliance needs some serious dosages of ridalin. Based on yer analogy I must be incredibly stupid for taking Excedrin Migraine for my regular headache. OMG IT MUST NOT WORK SINCE ITS NOT A MIGRAINE WTF WILL I EVER DO. Oh wait... it DOES work, yep it does, holy crap call CNN. Why don't you guys just stop responding to threads like these with pointless counter progressive thoughts and move on. As for the originator of this post, good luck and I hope it work FREAKING GREAT as a workstation for you.